1087 users online (234 members and 853 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    5,317

    Controversial new handicapped symbol proposed

    A new handicapped symbol has been proposed. It shows a stick figure in side profile, leaning forward, with arms raised as if propelling a manual wheelchair forward at a fast pace.

    What do you think? Is the new symbol a more positive image for disabled people? Is it confusing, suggesting only wheelchair patrons might use such a parking place or entrance? Is it a waste of money to replace old signs? Would it be confusing to visitors from outside of the U.S.?

    Images of the old and new symbols in these links.

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pep...Zw4?li=AAa0dzB

    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/handicap...ng-a-makeover/

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ew-york-state/

    http://accessibleicon.org/about/

    I am especially concerned that this "movement" began by activists DEFACING handicapped signs to "make their point." That should not be encouraged at any level of official policy, IMO.
    Last edited by K_Z; 10-16-2015 at 03:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    210
    OMG I am sorry but give me a f***** break.
    Waste of money for one thing. It's not different enough to warrant a change in the name of "political correctness". The old sign is a SYMBOL. It's not an indication of anyone and everyone who is considered handicapped and what their personal abilities are. It's not making a statement other than indicating services for those who require them for ANY reason. If people want to make a statement about personal abilities in relations to the well known symbol, keep it to the "street art" this started out with. I am so sick of everyone getting offended by every single thing in our society.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    5,317
    Well, I have to admit when I first saw the new proposed symbol, I thought it had something to do with wheelchair sports or basketball, or wheelchair athletes. It was confusing to me, and I'm a health care professional!

    I think the "reserved parking" with only the symbol is especially confusing for the public. The dominant signs now instruct the public that a special placard or plate is required, and that there is a fine for parking there if you don't meet criteria. I think the "reserved parking" potentially implies (discriminates) that ONLY wheelchair patrons may park there. Excluding people with conditions like severe cardiac disease, severe lung disease, neuromuscular disorders, cancer, etc. That's my concern. And, of course, the vast amount of money to produce and replace existing signs. Even if the replacement is only confined to NEW signs, it's a huge expense, for no apparent gain, IMO.

    Seems to me like a "solution in search of a problem". Another project aimed at showing how "politically correct " we can be, and creating statutes that will penalize, faux-shame, and generate $$ thru sales of new signs and fines for enforcement. No one is helped by this, IMO. And certain groups of the disabled are discriminated against by it, IMO.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    5,317
    I also think it's interesting that the comments section of some of the articles includes a lively debate over just "who" may use handicapped bathroom stalls!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,227
    While I understand the logic, I can't see how this image does anything to change the impression most people have about the handicapped/whatever term is best. Mind you, I would defer to whatever those affected think. This image, to me, doesn't convey ability, necessarily. It almost looks like someone stepping out of a manhole or hole in the space-time continuum.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    5,317
    I'm also bothered that the primary impetus behind these efforts is from the "able disabled", the image of which is described by activists as the person independently navigating their way thru the world, making decisions about their life, forward thinking and forward moving. That's all well and good, but there is a very significant swath of the disabled population that isn't able to do all that, for reasons of physical and cognitive disability. They are truly fragile, and need our respect, compassion (not pity), and accommodation, as a society. I almost feel like this is offensive (mocking) to those people and their caregivers and families. This new image marginalized them, in favor of a view of highly "able" disabled, IMO.

    I don't think a new advisory symbol is going to change anyone's ideas about the disabled.

    It's like saying we have to get rid of the stick figure with a skirt signs that symbolize which restroom is a women's restroom, because some activist might be offended that not all women wear skirts all the time! And yes, I know there is a movement to get rid of those signs, too. My high schooler's school has three options: pink square, green square, blue square. (The new students and foreign exchange students have a hard time finding the restroom and deciding which one to use!)

    It's a directional, advisory symbol. I don't think there is any advantage to changing it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Coos Bay, Oregon
    Posts
    2,552
    Bad idea, for so many reasons. 1. It's never a good idea to change something that works just fine. 2. It's just a pictogram. It's not supposed to be a logo to make handicapped people feel good. It's just designed to be a universally recognized symbol that will be recognized by everyone. 3. The old pictogram is already the most recognized symbol in the world. Now instead of having one symbol that is pretty much 100% universally recognized worldwide, we will have two competing symbols, that not everyone might recognize. 4. The new symbol is just bad. It's hard to even tell what it's supposed to represent.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12,222
    He doesn't look parked. Is it a he? He almost looks like he is on the toilet. jmo
    Just know one thing, I am the majority.

    Adios amego's

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,250
    The new symbol reminds me of a stroke patient with left side neglect that I've known, who was quite fast wheeling his new wheelchair, straight into the door frames and furniture and unaware people on the left. For him, the ability to be fast of the wheelchair was almost an additional disability.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    I'm also bothered that the primary impetus behind these efforts is from the "able disabled", the image of which is described by activists as the person independently navigating their way thru the world, making decisions about their life, forward thinking and forward moving. That's all well and good, but there is a very significant swath of the disabled population that isn't able to do all that, for reasons of physical and cognitive disability. They are truly fragile, and need our respect, compassion (not pity), and accommodation, as a society. I almost feel like this is offensive (mocking) to those people and their caregivers and families. This new image marginalized them, in favor of a view of highly "able" disabled, IMO.

    I don't think a new advisory symbol is going to change anyone's ideas about the disabled.

    It's like saying we have to get rid of the stick figure with a skirt signs that symbolize which restroom is a women's restroom, because some activist might be offended that not all women wear skirts all the time! And yes, I know there is a movement to get rid of those signs, too. My high schooler's school has three options: pink square, green square, blue square. (The new students and foreign exchange students have a hard time finding the restroom and deciding which one to use!)

    It's a directional, advisory symbol. I don't think there is any advantage to changing it.
    Someone that I know was accosted by security in a restroom just yesterday and asked to show ID to show that they were in the proper restroom for their gender. As it happens, he was. Fortunately the guard did not require a crotch check.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    I'm also bothered that the primary impetus behind these efforts is from the "able disabled", the image of which is described by activists as the person independently navigating their way thru the world, making decisions about their life, forward thinking and forward moving. That's all well and good, but there is a very significant swath of the disabled population that isn't able to do all that, for reasons of physical and cognitive disability. They are truly fragile, and need our respect, compassion (not pity), and accommodation, as a society. I almost feel like this is offensive (mocking) to those people and their caregivers and families. This new image marginalized them, in favor of a view of highly "able" disabled, IMO.

    I don't think a new advisory symbol is going to change anyone's ideas about the disabled.

    It's like saying we have to get rid of the stick figure with a skirt signs that symbolize which restroom is a women's restroom, because some activist might be offended that not all women wear skirts all the time! And yes, I know there is a movement to get rid of those signs, too. My high schooler's school has three options: pink square, green square, blue square. (The new students and foreign exchange students have a hard time finding the restroom and deciding which one to use!)

    It's a directional, advisory symbol. I don't think there is any advantage to changing it.
    I feel dumb asking, but is the green square for disabled? I have never heard of colors being used. It took me days to realize in Europe that WC was for toilets.
    Compassion cost nothing but pays dividends.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia -- Redneck Country
    Posts
    7,175
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    I also think it's interesting that the comments section of some of the articles includes a lively debate over just "who" may use handicapped bathroom stalls!
    Huh? So some believe only the handicapped can use those stalls???

    That is ridiculous! Small restrooms often only have TWO stalls to begin with, with one being handicapped.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 10-16-2015 at 06:50 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockins View Post
    I feel dumb asking, but is the green square for disabled? I have never heard of colors being used. It took me days to realize in Europe that WC was for toilets.
    And isn't 'pink' and 'blue' kind of a sexist way to symbolize the genders? My daughter HATED pink.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia -- Redneck Country
    Posts
    7,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockins View Post
    I feel dumb asking, but is the green square for disabled?
    I thought green would be for unisex or trans etc...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    686
    Well, my 2 cents, looks like the guy has the runs and needs to roll into the john real fast....so move out of the way..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Steven Avery: Sex Symbol?
    By Limaes in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 10-26-2016, 06:59 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-27-2015, 05:45 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 01:26 PM
  4. Wiccan symbol on a soldier's grave
    By gman20001969 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 02:56 PM
  5. New status symbol: $135 drinks
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 03:56 PM