1153 users online (220 members and 933 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canada - Mitchell Veenhuis, 22, Fredericton, NB, 14 Oct 2015

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...king-1.3276314

Mitchell Veenhuis was last seen on the evening of Wednesday, Oct. 14, at around 8:30 p.m. when he left his residence on Route 690, Maquapit Lake.

Veenhuis is described as approximately 6 feet 2 inches, weighing 160 pounds, with short, light brown hair and blue eyes.

He is believed to be driving a blue 2012 Ford Fusion with New Brunswick license plate JEK-814.
    mitchell-veenhuis.jpg
    “Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
    - Kurt Vonnegut

I grew up with this young man's older brother. His family has been riddled with tragedy this year, including the loss of his sister this spring (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rash-1.3078119)which I do not believe Mitchell had been taking well. I am really hoping he didn't decide to end the struggle, my heart breaks for his family.
    “Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
    - Kurt Vonnegut

From the link below - he told his roommate he would be back in 30 mins....

http://q961.com/22-year-old-man-repo...dericton-area/

Also, his father has posted under the CBC report linked in the opening post. Also his mom has shared a few details via FB, also posted in comments under CBC report. Mitchell has not been seen or heard from since (iirc mom said 7pm) & he didn't show up for work on Thursday, which she added is out of character. Additionally, mom said his cell phone is not on.

Where are you Mitchell?

The area he lives in is rural, curvy cottage country. 30 minutes give or take from more populace areas with shops etc. Very popular for outdoorsmen hunting/fishing/off-roading, as it's a scenic area on lakes and a large river. The family focus has been to get the word out to those populations, especially since it's hunting season, in hopes someone will see the car or signs of a car going off-road.

Mitchell's brother has posted that they haven't had any luck with the ground search thus far, including any sign of his vehicle whether via sightings or off-road. The family has stated that they do not believe he had gotten gas since a particular day (I assume through no activity on his bank records/no money withdrawn) so would be limited in the distance he may have traveled to a fairly narrow window. As a result they are hoping to access boats to search from the water. Here is a screencap map of the area, with the yellow route being the stretch Mitchell lives on and left from.
    map.jpg
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Searchers are focusing on the bodies of water again today - I am not sure if they are searching the water itself, or more the perspective of seeing signs where a vehicle may have gone off-road over the embankments. Unfortunately many boaters have removed their boats for the winter. Word is also being spread to those winterizing camps and cottages, as Mitchell's whole family loves the outdoors and are familiar with hiking, camping, etc. The lack of any sign at all is creating mixed feelings, personally I am curious about his room mate: I haven't seen any contributions from him, only reports from his family as to what the room mate said.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1511367795849509/

A facebook group was started to consolidate the updates. Not a lot of information yet. Family has requested a wider scope of searches beyond the distance they first believed the car was capable of travelling. I don't think this is due to any new information, but as an alternative now that nothing has turned up yet.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

‘We got to find him.’ Mitchell Veenhuis’ family begs for information

http://globalnews.ca/news/2291057/we...r-information/
    (published Oct 21, 2015 @ 5:57 pm)

Mitchell was supposed to move out of his house last weekend, was planning to go back to school for science.
    Sobeys (grocery employer in Oromocto) pay was direct deposited on Thursday last week, hasn't been touched.
    Very close to all family, but no contact since.

More at video link above.

I have been to family gatherings with his family (an ex-spouse had grown up with the family), they are VERY close and developed friendships with their adult children. He has family close by, as well as spread across New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. He is an uncle to six little ones... I am so saddened that the situation is still ongoing. One issue I am having, though I hate to criticize, is that individuals asking to help are being told to search "anywhere" - I worry without more structure no one really knows what has been done, what hadn't, etc. I wish I hadn't relocated too far to be of help on hand.

A private plane was used today in the area he was last seen. No report yet as to what, if anything, was visible. The leaf cover should be reducing but may still be a hinderance, and a lot of the tree cover is coniferous.

Search for Missing New Brunswick man expands into Nova Scotia
    October 24, 2015

Snipped...
    ...A candlelight vigil is being held Friday night.
    Read more: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/search-fo...otia-1.2625218

[video @ link]

for Matthew!

Minto Fire Department joins search for missing Clarks Corner man (updated 12:32AT Oct 25, 2015)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...287794?cmp=rss

'His mother Stacey Heagney now fears the worst. "Our gut feeling is foul play is involved. It's not like Mitchell. He didn't take anything, he hasn't spent money. Something is wrong and a mother feels it," she said.'

Many tweets and pictures on Twitter from Sunday search (today) from CBC reporter, Shane Fowler, including:

Austin was able to tell CBC that they have not found Mitchell Veenhuis, nor have they found his car, but did locate "items" of interest #NB
    Shane Fowler ‏@CBCShane

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/car-belonging-to-missing-man-mitchell-veenhuis-found-in-lake-1.2631617

Police say they received a call around 8 a.m. Wednesday that a vehicle had been found in a lake off Sand Point Road near Randall Corner, N.B.
    Police confirm the car belongs to Mitchell Veenhuis, but they can’t confirm whether anyone is inside the vehicle.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Oh that is NOT the update I wanted to hear!

His body was found in the car

Rest in Peace Mitchell!

http://globalnews.ca/news/2304257/mi...near-his-home/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast