1140 users online (229 members and 911 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Turkey - Jacky Sutton, 50, British journalist, dies in airport restroom, 17 Oct 2015

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/bri...&NewsCatID=341

The Turks are passing this off as a suicide but it's very very suspicious, for the following reasons:

This story has been published in the Turkish newspapers today. The lady in question was found at the main airport in Istanbul, supposedly having hung herself.

Firstly, she had several hours between her flights so no need to miss the second flight. Secondly, she was not a poor person - she had a good job and would have been able to afford to buy a new ticket.

This has not been picked up by world media. I don't trust Turkish media or officials for various reasons. The lady in question worked for the UN for many years, then as a journalist, and was campaigning for fair media rights in Iraq.

I suspect foul play. I'd appreciate any input from others here.

Apologies for double post but I couldn't edit the heading on my other post.

I wish we had more details. I agree missing the flight wouldn't have had anything to do with her committing suicide. It would help to know why she missed the flight, where she was going and why, and what her history was. Was she depressed? Has she ever attempted suicide?

It sounds suspicious, especially if they were so quick to say it was suicide. Unless they know something they haven't shared that makes it obviously suicide.

Maybe they know no one else went into or left the washroom because they have cameras on it?

She was going to Erbil in the Kurdish region of Iraq. It seems that she went backwards and forward there for work reasons and had been travelling through the Middle East for many years and had done this journey many times. So an experienced traveller and not the type of person who would have panicked at a big airport or missing a flight.

I double checked the rules and checked that it was ok to post information from a victim's social media.

In June this year, Jacqueline posted the following:
    "Have arrived safely but am not going to be posting anything from now on because I do not want to flag my whereabouts"

Numerous colleagues/acquaintances/friends of hers have died/been killed doing their jobs judging by the things she has written and shared - evidently doing high profile work in that part of the world is risky.

I really hope the Brits step in and at least attempt to do their own investigation.

http://www.iraqtelecoms.com/speakers/jacky-sutton/

Her predecessor was killed in a car bomb in Baghdad.
    Suicide? Really?

Yes, I really hope the British police get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by delal View Post
    http://www.iraqtelecoms.com/speakers/jacky-sutton/

Her predecessor was killed in a car bomb in Baghdad.
    Suicide? Really?

Yes, I really hope the British police get involved.
    Suicide sure seems convenient, doesn't it?

British media are picking up the story now, stories on the BBC, Mirror and Evening Standard. Hopefully a journalist on the ground who does more than rehash press releases will do some digging.

Fifth Avenue is offline Out of touch poster rarely visiting from Europe
    More information in Daily Mail just published.
    She wasnt poor, lived in an expensive flat in West London, was a director of Iraq studies.
    Very suspicious indeed, tweeted to British police with request to look into the circumstances of her death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ight-Iraq.html

Sent via Tapatalk
    Je Suis Charlie

http://mmc-news.com/news-british-wom...rms-274914.dbv

_86194376_8e0f2863-2d6c-4068-ba5e-c5b724b8e0be.jpg

"Its previous Iraq director Ammar Al Shahbander was killed in a car bomb attack in Baghdad on 2 May and a memorial service was held for him in London last week, according to the IWPR website."

Sounds like her friends and colleagues just don't buy the whole suicide idea. Since many of them are journalists and investigative correspondents I am hopeful that the truth will be found.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1193...-cover-up.html

" Christian Bleuer, a research fellow at the Australian National University who knew her well, tweeted: "Toughest woman u could meet. Turkish police say she committed suicide cuz she missed her flight?"

Jacky Sutton worked in Afghanistan & Iraq. Toughest woman u could meet. Turkish police say she committed suicide cuz she missed her flight?
    — Christian Bleuer (@ChristianBleuer) October 18, 2015

He added: "I'm not into conspiracies, but if the Turks say a security camera at Istanbul-Ataturk was 'malfunctioning', then Jacky Sutton was murdered."

I'm not into conspiracies, but if the Turks say a security camera at Istanbul-Ataturk was "malfunctioning," then Jacky Sutton was murdered.
    — Christian Bleuer (@ChristianBleuer) October 18, 2015 "

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...tanbul-airport

"It was not clear how Sutton had died with some reports saying she had taken her own life. But fellow journalist and development worker Rebecca Cooke called for an international investigation.

“Shocking and sad news about the death of Jacky Sutton in Istanbul. An international not just local investigation is needed,” she told the Press Association."

Turkey - Jacqueline Sutton, British journalist, dead in Istanbul airport bath...

Here she talks about her work in conflict zones

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...17/4089501.htm

She was one tough cookie.
    But they say she cried, said had no money?
    Then used her shoe lashes to hang herself in public toilet in desperate situation, but she could have easily called the embassy, friends colleagues for help and she was not poor, that version is very hard to believe after decades of death-defying work in war zones.
    . Was she under some kind of pressure, many journalists are, may be setbacks in personal life recently and missing the flight was a last straw?
    Everything is possible but it is not very likely per those who know her.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Je Suis Charlie

Turkey - Jacqueline Sutton, British journalist, dead in Istanbul airport bath...

Friend had no concerns about mental health
    Ms Hutchinson said she had spoken to her friend [Ms Sutton] just a week before, and she had no cause for concern at all about her mental health.
    "She had been working in Kurdistan and she needed to travel into mainstream Iraq ... she'd been having some trouble with that process and we were concerned about how well that trip would go," Ms Hutchinson said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-1...sutton/6866720

Sent via Tapatalk
    Je Suis Charlie

Just because she was found at the airport that doesn't necessarily mean the Turkish gov was involved.

If her predecessor was killed in Baghdad it is possible she was busy stirring up multiple hornet's nests, and other groups may have wanted her dead. The Turks have more than their share of strange travelers these days, lots of wannabe ISIS recruits trying to pass through the country, their own Kurdish problem etc...

Being killed IN the airport allegedly with shoelaces points to someone other than Turkish officials IMO, though it is very likely that the Turkish government doesn't really care who did it and doesn't feel like launching a massive investigation.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast