839 users online (150 members and 689 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CAN - Police run over woman's dog several times, then shoot it

**warning -- disturbing images/video at link**

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...wood-1.3281740

"A woman in Collingwood is questioning why police ran over her dog several times before shooting it Monday night."

"Southerland called Merrick her "sidekick" and said. "she's just an old dog that was kind of lost and running around and was mistaken for a rabid, vicious coyote that a cop felt he had to run over three times and then shoot her.""

JMO, but people in other occupations are regularly fired for far less.

Thankfully it's from a distance because that's hard to watch, must have been really hard for the owner. Here's more on it, including another picture of the dog with the owner. Beautiful dog.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/22...countable-peta

The dog’s owner, Karen Sutherland, says Merrick, a German shepherd-cattle dog cross, was 21-years-old, blind and deaf.
    IMO

What the police did there was unconscionable, even if it were a coyote.

We read here, time and again, that violence against animals is a stage of those who become serial killers. I guess I'll leave it at that.

Here's a lot more of the story.

http://www.640toronto.com/2015/10/22/oakley-334/

Interestingly enough, she was the one who initially called the OPP and animal control because the dog was on her lawn.

“It was dark, it was raining, it was lightning, it was pretty bad weather,” she told the Collingwood Connection HERE. “It was standing right out front here and I went, ‘that’s a coyote.’ It looked very much like a coyote. There is something not right with this animal. He had his nose to the ground the whole time.”

Soti tried to support the cops decision, saying that “that police officer was just as shaken as we were,” she said. “It was a very hard task for him to do. He had no choice, he couldn’t shoot it on people’s property. He had to get it on the road. In order to subdue it so that he could shoot it, he had to run it over. What was he going to do? I feel just as bad for him.”
    IMO

I can't believe they did that. We have a coyote in our neighborhood and when it got sick Animal Rescue came out and captured it, took it in, rehabilitated it, and let it loose again.

But I did find this from London, Ontario (150 miles south of Collingwood):

Earlier this year, London Police shot and killed a rabid coyote in the Wortley area, while last October another pet dog was killed in a coyote attack near Wharncliffe and Commissioners.

So far this year, the Ministry of Natural Resources says it has received 11 calls or emails this year regarding coyotes in the Aylmer-MNRF District, which is a large geographical region that includes London. Three of those reports involved dog attacks in the city.
    http://www.am980.ca/2015/06/03/minis...coyote-attack/

But running over and shooting this old dog is an overreaction. Who does that??

“We are trying to get the word out about this incident where kids can see this and the cruelty of the way they killed the animal. Why it was done doesn’t matter, the way it was done was cruel, inhumane and disgusting.”
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...s-in-a-cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I can't believe they did that. We have a coyote in our neighborhood and when it got sick Animal Rescue came out and captured it, took it in, rehabilitated it, and let it loose again.
    I read that the neighbor did first call Animal Control but was told to call police. Maybe AC doesn't work at night or wasn't going out because of the storm.
    IMO

I don't want to watch the video but can anyone tell me if the dog had a collar on? In the different pictures it does. If it was wearing a collar the cop should've known it wasn't a coyote IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    **warning -- disturbing images/video at link**

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...wood-1.3281740

"A woman in Collingwood is questioning why police ran over her dog several times before shooting it Monday night."

"Southerland called Merrick her "sidekick" and said. "she's just an old dog that was kind of lost and running around and was mistaken for a rabid, vicious coyote that a cop felt he had to run over three times and then shoot her.""

JMO, but people in other occupations are regularly fired for far less.
    I agree with you. Someone who could do something like this has no business working with the public. Clearly unfit for this job.

But...
    Acting Sgt. Lynda Cranney said “the OPP remain committed to the humane destruction of wildlife that present an imminent threat to public safety,” but she conceded that the animal killed by the officer was a domesticated dog.

Cranney refused to answer further questions, saying only that the dog’s owner had been contacted and that it was an active investigation.

She wouldn’t say whether the officer in question has been reprimanded or if police had apologized to its owner.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle26900913/

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    I don't want to watch the video but can anyone tell me if the dog had a collar on? In the different pictures it does. If it was wearing a collar the cop should've known it wasn't a coyote IMO.
    I don't think that the cops would have been able to have seen a collar on this dog. But I guess I'm biased as I've been around a lot of different dogs. This one acted like an old dog, and there's a world of difference between an old dog and a rabid coyote. I think that most children could differentiate them most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieRose View Post
    I read that the neighbor did first call Animal Control but was told to call police. Maybe AC doesn't work at night or wasn't going out because of the storm.
    Animal Control isn't the same thing. They probably would have killed the dog too. I never call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    I don't think that the cops would have been able to have seen a collar on this dog. But I guess I'm biased as I've been around a lot of different dogs. This one acted like an old dog, and there's a world of difference between an old dog and a rabid coyote. I think that most children could differentiate them most of the time.
    Well evidently the woman who called couldn't tell the difference I can't bring myself to watch it so I can't really give an opinion. I feel bad for the dog though.

We have problems with both coyotes and wild dogs around here and I've seen them rip a calf to shreds in minutes. If the first shot isn't a kill shot, they'll spin around and charge you so I can understand the reasoning to not shoot it in the yard around people.

Condolences to the owner of this dog.

Have to think this officers headlights would have shown a collar - if he looked. Or did he just take the first words he heard from his dispatch as gospel?

Not caring for run over first, shoot second and ask questions third. Where was the threat in the behavior from the dog/coyote?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Condolences to the owner of this dog.

Have to think this officers headlights would have shown a collar - if he looked. Or did he just take the first words he heard from his dispatch as gospel?

Not caring for run over first, shoot second and ask questions third. Where was the threat in the behavior from the dog/coyote?
    I can't watch the video but I don't think there was one. The dog was hard of hearing and a bit blind so it wasn't behaving the way a normal dog would. I think if it stood still while they zoomed at it with their car that would be a clue. And even if they thought they had no other choice they could have done it humanely. This was just cruel.

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    I can't watch the video, to choked up already. I really feel for the owner. Was there some type of threat? What was the dog doing?

Quote Originally Posted by keeponsearching View Post
    I can't watch the video, to choked up already. I really feel for the owner. Was there some type of threat? What was the dog doing?
    Acting like a lost old dog:

Christine Soti said she was at her home watching the results of the federal election roll in around 9 p.m. when she noticed an animal limping around her property, sniffing the ground.
    And

The animal was “almost in a daze,” she said.

“It just wasn’t right — there was something not right about it.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast