IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
966525_630x354.jpg

Last Updated Oct 1, 2015 1:38 PM EDT
FOX LAKE, Ill. -- The northern Illinois police officer found dead last month was shot with his own weapon, but detectives were still treating it as a homicide investigation based on evidence that included signs of a struggle, the lead investigator said Thursday.

After vetting the information and concluding it wouldn't harm the investigation, authorities confirmed for the first time that Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was shot with his own weapon. He was struck by two rounds, one that hit his ballistic vest with the force of a "sledgehammer" and another that pierced his upper chest, said Lake County Major Crimes Task Force Commander George Filenko.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fox-lak...s-joseph-gliniewicz-unidentified-dna-samples/
[...]
“In layman’s terms the weapon could have been fired by Lieutenant Gliniewicz, or he could have been in close proximity to the weapon being fired,” Filenko said.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/01/slain-fox-lake-police-officer-was-shot-with-his-own-weapon/

Case Map
(Thanks to Steelman.)

Scanner Thread

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5

Something that keeps bugging me about this case is the singularity of thought required for suicide. I would think that one would have to let much of what one held dear just fall away To be able to commit such an act I think I would just want to get it over with. The very idea of staging a fake homicide just wouldn't hold much importance once I decided to do it. Maybe joe was different. I just don't know.

IF he committed suicide, it was not well though out. IF he committed suicide, he was faced with something so very overwhelming. IF it was suicide, suicide didn't even cross his mind until hours before his death. Or even minutes. IF it was suicide, he had gotten some news, or come to a realization of things to come, within hours or minutes of his death. I think the mayor knows if he was suicidal or not within the last 24 hrs of his life. I think he left his house that morning not knowing that would be his last day on earth. IF it was suicide, something happened that morning to make him think there was no way out. IF it was suicide, he had some sort of meeting with somebody before or after he parked his car at the gate. This person has insight as to why he would be suicidal.

IF it was a suicide,,,
IMO, a persons last few hours on earth do not define his or hers lifetime achievements. Fund raise the **** out of this, IMO. Because when it's all said and done, there is still a wife and 4 kids that are left coping with a direction in life that they did not decide. They are the true victims here, regardless of any financial gain they are receiving. No matter the MOD to be determined, there will always be whispers behind their backs.

Thank you Bessie for all your efforts here on Websleuths!

That appears to be what one local feels, as it is a blog. There are comments below, but it seems that most have been deleted -- and those comments do not appear to give unanimous support to what the blogger wrote.

Locals are blogging and commenting elsewhere too. Most of them are passionate about the case and Lt. Joe but they don't just have one belief or opinion.

I stumbled across this website awhile ago while searching 4 news about what happened to Joe. I felt I was too close to the situation to respond to any posts with an unbiased opinion. I did however join because they were maps and threads I wanted to see that I wasn't allowed to...
I will say that:
1. I DO believe that Joe was murdered.
2. That IF he committed suicide that he had to have been between a mountain and an extremely super hard place.
3. That if I were to take a poll of all the people from town, I would venture to guess that 75% of them would agree with that article.
4. I know that there are many people out there who are posting negative things however from what I can see most of them didn't live in or near town.
JMO.....

People attending fundraisers for Lt. Gliniewicz's family gave more than just money.By being there for the family they offered many tangible expressions of support... they offered their mercy, compassion and sympathy.

We're living in a broken world,on any given day any of our lives could change drastically or end completely.

Lt. Gliniewicz's death no matter what the cause is part of that brokenness, the Gliniewicz family's loss is part of that brokenness. Brokenness is something many of us understand all too well.

When we help each other through the darkness, we receive more than what we give.

Something that keeps bugging me about this case is the singularity of thought required for suicide. I would think that one would have to let much of what one held dear just fall away To be able to commit such an act I think I would just want to get it over with. The very idea of staging a fake homicide just wouldn't hold much importance once I decided to do it. Maybe joe was different. I just don't know.

I'm not sure what you mean about letting what you hold dear fall away? Sometimes people who are suicidal believe they are doing it for their loved ones.

Consider he might have been thinking of his wife and children, and his own personal feelings. What if he or his family believed suicide and mental illness is something to be ashamed of? He dies a hero in their eyes and not a failure. He stages the scene to protect them the best he knows how - both from what might be a painful truth and the financial hardships they might face after his death.

There are threads all over about people who have committed suicide and in my experience people are generally more likely to believe it was murder, even after all the facts are in. Sometimes immediately people want someone else to blame.

I agree, they should have...

If you have any idea, what do the townspeople say about who they think may have murdered Joe? I don't doubt that he was well known and appreciated in town, but I think that whatever caused him to end his own life, which I think happened, was not known by the townspeople and that the heroic, upstanding image that was portrayed to them, which they honored, was something he valued and sought to protect, more than life itself. JMO

Could they have picked a more inappropriate picture to use to prop him up as a role model?

That's who he was,all the way, not a speck of cereal.

In today's world the focus is less on "role models" and more on micro aggressions, participant trophies and non threatening environments.

In today's world the focus is less on "role models" and more on micro aggressions, participant trophies and non threatening environments.
"micro aggressions, participant trophies and non threatening environments"
Would you be so kind as to translate this for me? I really don't understand what it means. I like to think I am fairly cognizant of 'stuff' but this really eludes me. TIA.

If you have any idea, what do the townspeople say about who they think may have murdered Joe? I don't doubt that he was well known and appreciated in town, but I think that whatever caused him to end his own life, which I think happened, was not known by the townspeople and that the heroic, upstanding image that was portrayed to them, which they honored, was something he valued and sought to protect, more than life itself. JMO

I agree. One thing I'd like to know is whether or not he thought it would die with him.
JMO.

I have to confess that I am less than impressed and that I have been from the start. That said, it has nothing to do with my opinions about the fundraisers nor with my analysis of the evidence.

I really do have sympathy for his sons, but I have reservations about his widow. To me, it's important to know that whatever was bothering him, was fully disclosed by her, if she KNEW it, and then I still wonder if whatever caused his death (if by suicide) was something that he did in which she partook. JMO

I agree. One thing I'd like to know is whether or not he thought it would die with him.
JMO.

Do you mean his honorability? I think that that was the main purpose of the staging...was to preserve it and along with it to secure his family. JUST MY OPINION

Do you mean his honorability? I think that that was the main purpose of the staging...was to preserve it and along with it to secure his family. JUST MY OPINION

I bolded the wrong part of your comment. I meant to highlight "but I think that whatever caused him to end his own life." And I was referring to that, wondering if he thought his secret would die with him.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member