CO CO - Violet Newman, 57, Arapahoe County, Oct. 25, 1980.

margarita25

Reaction score
35 years after brutal murder, search for killer continues
http://www.9news.com/story/news/cri...-murder-search-for-killer-continues/74611106/

attachment.php

" - It's been 35 years since the brutal murder of a mother, and Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office investigators are still looking for her killer.

Around 5 p.m. on Oct. 25, 1980, Violet Newman, a 57-year-old married mother of four, left from work at what was then the Southglenn Mall."

Snip

"Hikers found Violet's body in the Castlewood Canyon around 2:15 p.m. the next day. Violet was nude, and covered in a plain white sheet. She had been shot once in the head. Investigators determined she may have been sexually assaulted."

Snip

"Deputies found her station wagon three blocks from Violet's home. Investigators say a witness described the man parking her vehicle as a young, white man, who was alone. They estimate the car was parked there between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Oct. 25.

The same day, a woman reported being approached by a male with a firearm, demanding a ride, in the May D&F parking lot. He's described as a white man with short red hair, and a pug nose. Investigators don't know for sure if he is related to the case, but say there may be some connection between this man and Violet's murder."

Attachments

• 635814179063119905-Still1025-00001.jpg
    635814179063119905-Still1025-00001.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 84
"Hikers found Violet's body in the Castlewood Canyon around 2:15 p.m. the next day. Violet was nude, and covered in a plain white sheet. She had been shot once in the head. Investigators determined she may have been sexually assaulted."

Assuming this is a euphemism for raped, I wonder why this point is unclear.

Was she swabbed for semen? Obviously the presence of semen wouldn't have been definitive in the days before DNA since that could be her husband's unless they had not had sex for more than 3 days - not too unusual in an older couple.

Was there evidence of bruising and abrasions, which one would expect in a violent assault?

Apart from anything else, it would be fairly unusual for a woman of that age to be raped. There are men who target middle aged and elderly women for sexual assault but they are rare compared to those who choose much younger victims.

Had the man seen leaving her car been more or less her own age I'd query whether it was her husband or a lover.

Ah. This gives a little fuller picture. Semen was recovered, and was the DNA source, which has not been matched to anyone.

http://www.arapahoegov.com/index.aspx?NID=1544

I'm curious why they didn't try for a sketch of the man witnessed parking her car. If he walked off through the neighborhood, it suggests a possible familiarity with the area.

Another thought: might this be a case that would benefit from DNA phenotyping that has been done for cases like Lisa Ziegert and Vanessa Marcotte?

This article (on LE procedure), is much more explicit. Sexual assault did occur. "Last month, Arapahoe County investigator Bruce Isaacson presented a case of Violet Newman, a 56-year-old woman who in October 1980 was kidnapped, raped and shot to death."

http://www.denverpost.com/2011/05/08/law-enforcement-experts-work-helps-longmont-police-file-charges-in-a-2007-murder-investigation/

Ah. This gives a little fuller picture. Semen was recovered, and was the DNA source, which has not been matched to anyone.

http://www.arapahoegov.com/index.aspx?NID=1544

I'm curious why they didn't try for a sketch of the man witnessed parking her car. If he walked off through the neighborhood, it suggests a possible familiarity with the area.

Another thought: might this be a case that would benefit from DNA phenotyping that has been done for cases like Lisa Ziegert and Vanessa Marcotte?

I would hope they might do "familial" dna testing if they can't find a match. I've read about cases being solved using familial dna in recent years. Marvelous tool for solving cases, IMHO.

Familial DNA does seem like a good possibility for a case like this. The passage of time seems likely to have lessened the likelihood of many other avenues turning things up.

There appears to have been at least one serial killer active in the greater Arapahoe County area during that time, one who left victims naked and outdoors. They targeted much younger women though, and treated the bodies with much more disdain. This seems quite different.

http://kdvr.com/2013/02/18/investig...be-responsible-for-unsolved-murders-of-women/

I would hope they might do "familial" dna testing if they can't find a match. I've read about cases being solved using familial dna in recent years. Marvelous tool for solving cases, IMHO.

And/Or parabon snapshot...requires 1 ng iirc?...not sure if there's still a usable sample...

This article (on LE procedure), is much more explicit. Sexual assault did occur. "Last month, Arapahoe County investigator Bruce Isaacson presented a case of Violet Newman, a 56-year-old woman who in October 1980 was kidnapped, raped and shot to death."

http://www.denverpost.com/2011/05/08/law-enforcement-experts-work-helps-longmont-police-file-charges-in-a-2007-murder-investigation/

(Paging nerosleuth...)

How do you request investigation with dna genetic genealogy in this case? They’ve only performed CODIS but there needs to be further analysis

Why have the investigators or media not looked into the suspicious criminal charges of Violet’s son, Ronald Scott Newman? Particularly the ARSON charges BOTH occurring after 1980 (murder) and her clothes never found?
Scott Criminal charges .PNG

Last edited:
Why have the investigators or media not looked into the suspicious cruminal charges of Violet’s son, Ronald Scott Newman? Particularly the ARSON charges BOTH occurring after 1980 (murder) and her clothes never found?
View attachment 481834
OR that he was committed to the Colorado Mental Health Institute in Pueblo after all these felonies ( four felonies, also for forgery and burglary) and died while at patient in his 40’s?

OR that he was committed to the Colorado Mental Health Institute in Pueblo after all these felonies ( four felonies, also for forgery and burglary) and died while at patient in his 40’s?
OR that he had a love triangle which may have lead to other children, 2 of whom are men that do not have Scott’s last name but have strong resemblance- both sons being felons in Texas.

OR that he had a love triangle which may have lead to other children, 2 of whom are men that do not have Scott’s last name but have strong resemblance- both sons being felons in Texas.
WHICH, by being felons (major crimes) per Texas state law DNA would have been obtained for the oldest son and would not trigger in CODIS since the Newman’s submitted DNA to authorities AND second son not qualifying for DNA collection due to the nature of his felony. Did Scott’s ex-wife new husband, their “father” submit to DNA testing?

Also the fact that Violet’s autopsy also states she had been stabbed “post-morteum”

DNA, semen per Arapahoe County, was collected from scene and “did yield full DNA profile.”

Attachments

• Welcome to Arapahoe County, CO - Official Website.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member