804 users online (137 members and 667 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Another one of my finds? This is only one small section from an interesting article. I posted (g) on its own as it seemed pertinent to the appearance of RS's back injury. Was it a Bullet Graze or Slap injury or something else?

(g) Bullet Graze or Slap : If it strikes skin at so acute anangle that it does not perforate the skin, a grazing or slap wound isproduced. It usually appears asreddish-brown, elongated, elliptical or triangular furrow or abrasion. The underlying dermis may or may not beinvolved, but the adjacent intact skin may be ecchymosed.

http://healthdrip.com/firearm-wounds-and-its-types/

Another of my many finds. Perhaps not quite so interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricochet

The angle of departure, both vertically and horizontally, is difficult to calculate or predict due to the many variables involved, not the least of which is the deformation of the bullet caused by its impact with the surface it strikes.[6]Ricochets will almost always continue on a somewhat diagonal trajectory to their original trajectory, unless the impact is against a flat surface perpendicular to the angle of incidence (or approach), in which case the angle of reflection depends on the other variables involved.

....is it possible blood got onto the bat by it being used to push "stuff" down the toilet...?

Last item for today as I need to show some interest in my housewifely duties

The following is from pages of a book that one can read on-line before purchase. I read from page 285 and it is worth a read though not specifically about the type of injury that RS had other than the bullet slap or graze element. I have noticed a lot of my links have been lifted from this book. It is entitled

APC Textbook of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology - Avichal Publishing Company
    By Anil Aggrawal

I am unable to give you a proper link because of the nature of the article. The ‘code’ for the link was half a page long. If you search for the book and then use the arrows to find page 285 there is a long and interesting section that is well worth reading though not all of it is appropriate. The following excerpt is only the beginning of the piece of interest. My earlier post re bullet slap or graze was lifted from this book, methinks.

2. Atypical Entrance Wounds
    a. Ricochet Bullet
    A ricochet bullet is one which before striking an object ‘Ob’, strikes some intervening object ‘IO’ first,and then after ricocheting and rebounding from the intervening object, hits the object. Salient features: (1)Types of ricochet – (a) External ricochet – Bullet rebounds off some external object (eg roof) (b) Internal ricochet – Bullet rebounds off some internal body surface (eg inside of skull, chest)
    (2)Occurs rarely – Most of the times the bullet either breaks up on striking intervening object or penetrate it. (3) Occurs with inferior firearms and low velocity bullets (4) Critical angle – 10-30 degrees.

Any engagement with the Steenkamp family has to be handled with the necessary care and respect, away from the media spotlight," Annelise Burgess said on Monday.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...amily-20151026

-----------------

I think that's quite amusing considering OP ensured his 'apology' to the Steenkamps was as public as it could possibly be - right at the beginning of the trial. Did Reeva's family even have any warning of this? Any 'necessary care and respect' was not afforded to her family when they needed it most, when millions of eyes were watching the trial and when everyone had to listen to what should have been a very private apology. I guess maybe it was meant for Masipa, to show his 'remorse'. We all know now that crying and remorse means you're not guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by soozieqtips View Post
    Any engagement with the Steenkamp family has to be handled with the necessary care and respect, away from the media spotlight," Annelise Burgess said on Monday.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...amily-20151026

-----------------

I think that's quite amusing considering OP ensured his 'apology' to the Steenkamps was as public as it could possibly be - right at the beginning of the trial. Did Reeva's family even have any warning of this? Any 'necessary care and respect' was not afforded to her family when they needed it most, when millions of eyes were watching the trial and when everyone had to listen to what should have been a very private apology. I guess maybe it was meant for Masipa, to show his 'remorse'. We all know now that crying and remorse means you're not guilty.
    Agree! And with what "care and respect" did Masipa handle the Steenkamp family when she bluntly said "the victim was good in front of a camera" - diminishing Reeva to an object like that?!

Quote Originally Posted by ApplesInMyBra View Post
    Agree! And with what "care and respect" did Masipa handle the Steenkamp family when she bluntly said "the victim was good in front of a camera" - diminishing Reeva to an object like that?!
    Oh yes. I remember that. It came across as really condescending especially as Reeva was so much more than a model. She had a law degree and a brain, but Masipa reduced her to not much more than eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by soozieqtips View Post
    Oh yes. I remember that. It came across as really condescending especially as Reeva was so much more than a model. She had a law degree and a brain, but Masipa reduced her to not much more than eye candy.
    After that remark, I definitely got the feeling Masipa disapproved of the provocative photos that were published of RS. It was really out of order and seemed as though she was intentionally diminishing RS's worth. It really was not a comment one would expect to hear from a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Interested Bystander View Post
    After that remark, I definitely got the feeling Masipa disapproved of the provocative photos that were published of RS. It was really out of order and seemed as though she was intentionally diminishing RS's worth. It really was not a comment one would expect to hear from a judge.
    ....can anyone have any doubt that she was biased ? ......

Mr Fossil and JJ,

This is a photo of a piercing ricochet injury of the skin which, of course, was not the case with RS, probably because she was wearing a vest top and, maybe, because there was a double ricochet which would have somewhat reduced the velocity of the bullet. What I find interesting is the double injury, so similar to what we see on RS's back but she was only grazed. The photo attributes the injuries to separation of the bullet casing (top injury) with the projectile penetrating the bottom injury. We know there were two bullet fragments in the magazine rack which might suggest that two fragments were created during the rocochet before hitting Reeva.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mr F/JJ

http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...deaths-100661/

Graze wounds: Graze gunshot wounds (those that strike the skin surface in a tangential fashion) are not uncommon. They can range from wounds that only injure the very superficial layers of the epidermis to those that completely disrupt the epidermis and also injure the underlying dermis, and possibly the subcutaneous fatty tissues. The typical grazewound has an elongated oval shape.
    In certain instances, the direction of the graze wound can be determined based on the characteristics of the graze wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Interested Bystander View Post
    Mr Fossil and JJ,

This is a photo of a piercing ricochet injury of the skin which, of course, was not the case with RS, probably because she was wearing a vest top and, maybe, because there was a double ricochet which would have somewhat reduced the velocity of the bullet. What I find interesting is the double injury, so similar to what we see on RS's back but she was only grazed. The photo attributes the injuries to separation of the bullet casing (top injury) with the projectile penetrating the bottom injury. We know there were two bullet fragments in the magazine rack which might suggest that two fragments were created during the rocochet before hitting Reeva.
    IB you've lost me somewhere...are you saying that the bruises with the trace of the gun handle are similar to the photo above.....? ...

Mr Fossil and Judge Judi's latest post: The phone data

https://cc11313.wordpress.com/2015/1...he-phone-data/

Quote Originally Posted by Colin de France View Post
    IB you've lost me somewhere...are you saying that the bruises with the trace of the gun handle are similar to the photo above.....? ...
    Similar, not the same. More to do with spacing of the injuries. Both wounds caused by ricochet and break up of a single bullet. In the photo it is the casing and the bullet. In RS photo it would have to be two pieces of the bullet (ie those found in the magazine rack), neither of which pierced the skin because she was wearing a vest. The photo is an injury caused without intervening clothing so the injury will not look exactly the same. What was interesting was the similarity of the spacing of the marks which, in both cases, were made by parts of a single bullet breaking up after ricochet.

I have been looking specifically for injuries caused by ricochet so that we can either dismiss or accept Nel's theory that RS's back injuries were caused by a bullet fragmenting after ricochet. I am not trying to prove anything. In the end we have to look at all theories and this is just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Mr Fossil and Judge Judi's latest post: The phone data

https://cc11313.wordpress.com/2015/1...he-phone-data/
    I like this very much. If you are right Mr Fossil and JJ, this is very damning.

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast