SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodland

Reaction score
The video shows a school monitor reported to be Ben Fields – who is also a Richland county sheriff’s deputy – confronting the female student.

When she refuses to leave her seat in a classroom at Spring Valley high school in Columbia, he tells her: “I’ll make you.” He then wraps his arm around her neck, flips her desk backward, then drags her across the floor. He arrested both the girl, and a male student.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...puty-on-leave-after-forceful-classroom-arrest

Not personally interested in her race - just see this action by the sheriff as going to cost the taxpayers of Richland County a few bucks.

I know, I know, she didn't get up from her seat when he told her to. The response is the best LE can do? Still going to cost imo.

If it's going to "cost", it ought to cost her. When will people understand they are not above the law, that they have no right to disrupt a class making it impossible for anyone else to learn? If that kid didn't want to be in school, why not let her drop out?

My opinion only

Why couldn't the sheriff wait until class was over rather than disrupt a place where students are learning?

Confronting/approaching her when she left class was out of the question? Seems pretty quiet on the video - I know, I know, one should not jump to conclusions when watching a video of a real event - just ask any police chief or their spokesperson.

I think we need to set this up with more information. According to Wolf Blitzer on CNN, the student was talking on her cell during class. So the teacher asked the student to LEAVE THE ROOM. Student refused. Teacher calls in vice principal. He asks her to LEAVE THE CLASS. Student refuses and continues to use her cell. So they call the Deputy in.

Please keep in mind that this senior in high school, this full grown young lady, has sat and defied the teacher and vice principal, and has ruined the class period, prevented any learning from happening by her disruptive behavior.

So what is the deputy supposed to do when she once again refuses to leave the class room?
What are his options? Should he shrug and say 'OK, you win, you can stay and continue the disruption?' Should he try and talk with her, just like the teacher and vice principal tried to do?

In my opinion, he did the right thing. He forced her out of her seat. She is the one who defied the teacher, vice principal and the deputy. What did the senior in high school think was going to happen when she continued to defy their demands that she put down her cell and leave the classroom?

I worked in a high school. Teachers NEED to keep order. For the safety of the students and themselves, they need to be in control of the class room. There is no way that they can allow a student to sit and play with their phone disrupting class and then refuse to leave when asked to.

The deputy was called to that room to get that 17/18 yr old student to leave the classroom. Once she refused to do so, she left him no other viable options. JMO

Why couldn't the sheriff wait until class was over rather than disrupt a place where students are learning?

Confronting/approaching her when she left class was out of the question? Seems pretty quiet on the video - I know, I know, one should not jump to conclusions when watching a video of a real event - just ask any police chief or their spokesperson.

Why should he wait? She had been disrupting the class for a long time already/ NO LEARNING was taking place. And it was the student that made sure of that.

The teacher asked her to leave because she was disruptive, Student refused. Vice Principal was called. She refused again. Deputy was called in. He had no option other than force because the student was forcing the issue. She was the one being disruptive.JMO

So if a teacher asks a disruptive student to leave the class and the student refuses, then the teacher is supposed to back down, and allow a defiant, disruptive 18 yr old to stay through the rest of the class period?

That teacher would lose all hope of ever being in control of that classroom ever again.

Right? Why not send all the other students out first? Why not talk to her and de-escalate?

Ugh. This turns my stomach.

This is a good example of why cops don't belong in schools. IMO.

Well, this way the whole thing is captured on video and there are more witnesses for the lawsuit, which if previous cases have taught us anything will go nowhere. :(

I don't understand how people look at something like this and thinks it okay. Yes, we want more of this in our schools please, because clearly it's working. Eyeroll.

JMO.

The video shows a school monitor reported to be Ben Fields – who is also a Richland county sheriff’s deputy – confronting the female student.

When she refuses to leave her seat in a classroom at Spring Valley high school in Columbia, he tells her: “I’ll make you.” He then wraps his arm around her neck, flips her desk backward, then drags her across the floor. He arrested both the girl, and a male student.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...puty-on-leave-after-forceful-classroom-arrest

Not personally interested in her race - just see this action by the sheriff as going to cost the taxpayers of Richland County a few bucks.

I know, I know, she didn't get up from her seat when he told her to. The response is the best LE can do? Still going to cost imo.

She did not get up and leave when the teacher asked her to. The student was apparently talking on her cell during class and was being disruptive. Teacher asked her to leave and she said NO. Teacher had to call the office and send for the vice principal. Again, student said NO.

So who was being disruptive? The Deputy?

One of the reasons I try and speak up for the officers is because they are in a 'no win' situation. This deputy was called because this 17/18 yr old was disruptive/defiant and was taking away an entire classroom's learning time.

And all they show on tv is a snip of him forcing this student out of her seat---and all of the tv talking heads talk about her like she is a sweet innocent school girl being bullied by a big mean cop. IMO, SHE was the bully.

Well, this way the whole thing is captured on video and there are more witnesses for the lawsuit, which if previous cases have taught us anything will go nowhere. :(

I don't understand how people look at something like this and thinks it okay. Yes, we want more of this in our schools please, because clearly it's working. Eyeroll.

JMO.

Everything's about a lawsuit? Probably. On the other hand, no, we do not want more of this in our schools, nor should we be forced to deal with it. Disruptive students such as this one should be expelled. In my opinion of course.

Everything's about a lawsuit? Probably. On the other hand, no, we do not want more of this in our schools, nor should we be forced to deal with it. Disruptive students such as this one should be expelled. In my opinion of course.

I'm a cynic. This is America. Everything is about a lawsuit. JMO.

JMO.

And I don't understand how people look at her defiant disruptive behavior and think it's OK>

Why should the rest of the students leave the class while anyone 'negotiates' with this bully?

SHE is the one that was asked to leave because of her disruptive behavior. Why REWARD her behavior by allowing her to send every one else out of the room and make her the big powerful bully? That will only embolden and empower others who want to play with their cells and ignore the teachers lesson plan. Why would they ever listen or obey if they know they don't have to.

Wow, good *someone* is willing to speak up for the poor bullied violent police officers. LMAO.

p.s. Regarding an "objective" or clinical reason why anyone might think this kind of physical force is useful when dealing with non-compliance:
I often work in classrooms too.
In "underserved", impoverished urban areas.

That's not how any sane society should deal with a situation like a student being on her cell phone/refusing to exit the classroom. If anyone thinks that violence, particularly violence when exercised by an "authority figure", doesn't breed more violence I'd suggest they look at the reams of scientific research on these kinds of topics.

This could likely be a more accurate reflection of preceding events that we have heard so far -

According to a classmate, the student in question had peeked at her cellphone during class. When the teacher tried to take the phone away, the student refused to hand it over, and when a school administrator told her to leave the class, she stayed at her desk, which is when Fields was summoned.

The sheriff’s department has placed Fields on administrative leave while it investigates the case.

So yea, don't let her come back - imo, the fuss in the meantime was self serving by some with not much else to do. Not a lack of training imo, just a refusal to follow it and make their own rules.

No one is saying the behavior was OK - do we really need to have someone adding words to the keyboards of others? Again.

No one is saying the behavior was OK - do we really need to have someone adding words to the keyboards of others? Again.

Sometimes it's if you think the officer overreacted or used excessive force you must think the person who was attacked or harassed did nothing wrong.

This is just an opinion and is based purely on baseless speculation -- from a comment on the DailyMail forum ( I know - not the most accurate of "news" sites ) : a poster commented that the ENTIRE video shows the girl try to HIT the officer. If true -- she's the one who escalated things.
Still haven't found the entire video -- if anyone does maybe they could bring it over here ?

Imo, somewhat irresponsible of the media news sites ( not pointing fingers at cbs news, well, trying not to do so ...) to state her race/nationality and in doing so -- trying to make this about something other than what it is ?

www.cbsnews.com/news/department-of-...robe-violent-south-carolina-classroom-arrest/

Ben Fields, was placed on leave after his boss asked the feds to investigate the incident in which he flipped a black female high school student from her desk to the floor and either dragged or tossed her across a classroom.
Emph. mine

"Tossed" ? Seriously ? Pretty strong terms. Since some of the students were videoing this-- they must have caught the "tossing" part ? Or is the media trying to inflame the masses ? Surely not.
Sorry I've gotten somewhat disenchanted with mainstream media.

Could he have tazered her instead , would that have been a better approach ?

I have trouble remembering any of this happening in my school days -- but I am extremely old and maybe the late 70's early 80's are ancient history ; but we knew if we didn't listen a visit to the principal was next if we disobeyed , or worse - our parent(s) might be called in. Then you KNEW you were in deep doodoo.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-32...-incident-happened-girl-cell-phone-class.html
The DM mentions 'girl' and 'student' without bringing up ethnicity -- I'm thinking this was more about disruptive behavior , and not a race issue ?

From the DM link : The spokesman added that no injuries were reported.
So, the only injuries were to her dignity ? If her family/she sues.. will it be for humiliation ? Doesn't make much sense. Why not just listen to the school admin. ?

:moo:

Wow, good *someone* is willing to speak up for the poor bullied violent police officers. LMAO.

p.s. Regarding an "objective" or clinical reason why anyone might think this kind of physical force is useful when dealing with non-compliance:
I often work in classrooms too.
In "underserved", impoverished urban areas.

That's not how any sane society should deal with a situation like a student being on her cell phone/refusing to exit the classroom. If anyone thinks that violence, particularly violence when exercised by an "authority figure", doesn't breed more violence I'd suggest they look at the reams of scientific research on these kinds of topics.

This student was not underserved nor impoverished. She was on her cell phone. She is a senior in a middle class suburban high school. She is entitled and defiant.

She is the one that forced the situation. She has to learn that she is not the one that is in control and she cannot disrupt the class and prevent others from learning.

I grew up in a very progressive Northern California city. I have seen what happens when teachers bend over backwards and try to de escalate and negotiate bad behavior. That type of 'non-authority' also breeds violence.

This is just an opinion and is based purely on baseless speculation -- from a comment on the DailyMail forum ( I know - not the most accurate of "news" sites ) : a poster commented that the ENTIRE video shows the girl try to HIT the officer. If true -- she's the one who escalated things.
Still haven't found the entire video -- if anyone does maybe they could bring it over here ?

Imo, somewhat irresponsible of the media news sites ( not pointing fingers at cbs news, well, trying not to do so ...) to state her race/nationality and in doing so -- trying to make this about something other than what it is ?

www.cbsnews.com/news/department-of-...robe-violent-south-carolina-classroom-arrest/

Ben Fields, was placed on leave after his boss asked the feds to investigate the incident in which he flipped a black female high school student from her desk to the floor and either dragged or tossed her across a classroom.
Emph. mine

"Tossed" ? Seriously ? Pretty strong terms. Since some of the students were videoing this-- they must have caught the "tossing" part ? Or is the media trying to inflame the masses ? Surely not.
Sorry I've gotten somewhat disenchanted with mainstream media.

Could he have tazered her instead , would that have been a better approach ?

I have trouble remembering any of this happening in my school days -- but I am extremely old and maybe the late 70's early 80's are ancient history ; but we knew if we didn't listen a visit to the principal was next if we disobeyed , or worse - our parent(s) might be called in. Then you KNEW you were in deep doodoo.

:moo:

He clearly tosses over the desk and then drags her and the desk, effectively dragging her OUT of the desk. I think the correct words were used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77