Found Deceased UT - Nicole 'Nikki' Harris, 41, Provo, 24 October 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Nicole Maria Harris
12196295_965974886779527_5086176069069930391_n.png

Police seek public’s help in finding missing Provo woman
"Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a missing Provo woman.

Nicole Maria Harris, 41, of the Sherwood Hills neighborhood, was last seen on the evening of Oct. 24 and was reported missing on Monday.

“It is believed that Nicole has been struggling with mental difficulties, which may have been a factor in her disappearance Saturday evening,” Provo police wrote on its Facebook page Tuesday."

http://fox13now.com/2015/10/27/police-seek-publics-help-in-finding-missing-provo-woman/

I wonder if there is a more recent picture of Nicole? Usually, when one is struggling mentally, it shows up physically. This looks like a passport photo where she has her all hair and makeup done nicely. She is very pretty. Maybe this is the most recent photo, though.

Another more active FB https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009288179161 and from various places she seems to also go by Nikki.

She was apparently in a very bad crash with a semi in January 2014 (with at least one child in the car and pregnant) MANY photos have a massive neckbrace etc. and probably wouldn't be helpful in her looking like she does now.

Wonder if there could be prolonged post-partum stuff going on on top of other things?

12006228_1494487694204155_2064821937637188719_n.jpg

One of her older daughters just left on her mission a few weeks ago (one of the London Missions) and that part of her family seems to be pretty staunch LDS.

It appears she's divorced and has younger kids with someone else.

That older daughter who just left on her mission said her mom is Bipolar and Schizophrenic and has been struggling with them for a long time.

She left on foot. No cell. Last seen walking in her neighborhood by a friend.

Has a twin brother.

I finally found her siblings etc and that part of the family seems to be the ones trying to get the word out and are who contacted LE and are searching, doing fliers, etc.

I'm not sure if she's actually married to the father of the youngest kids or what, but Harris is neither her birth surname or first married surname.

Her siblings and their spouses are very, very worried.

They think she possibly went hiking up Little Rock Canyon near her home.

Black button down jacket and tan or khaki pants.

They really don't have much clue for sure, though, and people have been out searching that area and haven't found anything.

They've got it on KSL's FB at least now, which always seems to be the high traffic Utah news site so hopefully that'll help get the word out too https://www.facebook.com/ksltv/photos/a.75235833675.74625.36259238675/10153958375503676/?type=3

Looking For Nicole group https://www.facebook.com/groups/998082260233610/

Starting to get good media coverage and have organized searches for tomorrow and are hoping to get a good response to go help try to find Nicole.

Meeting at 9 at Rock Canyon where they believe she may have gone to walk.

They're especially looking for people with horses, dogs, and climbing experience to help in the more difficult terrain area.

They really seem to think she's hurt or lost in that area - there's also an infrared copter up and search and rescue team working.

Very pretty lady. Wonder who reported her missing.
Last seen on Saturday evening...but not reported missing until Monday. Hmmm...

Very pretty lady. Wonder who reported her missing.
Last seen on Saturday evening...but not reported missing until Monday. Hmmm...

My understanding is...

She was seen by a neighbor walking in the neighborhood (which apparently wasn't out of the norm) Saturday evening.

It sounds like then they realized Sunday she wasn't around and were struggling to make sense of any of it, to see if she'd been in touch with others (lots of components to this family - and just lots of people as they're at least largely Mormon families - which can lead to a false sense of assuming someone else has been in touch type thing at times)

I've not seen anything indicating she lives with anyone, but she does have two younger kids (one is a toddler) besides the 3 older ones from another marriage, but as I said above, I've not found any 'candidate' for the father of those younger kids mentioned or in things, so I've not seen anything indicating if he's with her, not with her, in the picture at all, perhaps not even alive, or if he may even largely have the younger kids? :dunno:

Totally my guess from things alluded to, but I suspect she may have not been seen overnight before when she wasn't doing well, and that they may have thought it'd be like in the past and she'd be back the next day and waited based on that.

It seems like they STILL don't know much about the context prior to her last been seen walking the neighborhood as they've said several times and a number of places that all those details are fuzzy or not not known (maybe a factor in waiting to report it too if they didn't really know much either? not sure) and they're still trying to figure things out.

The tone/concern level in things I was finding by this afternoon was markedly different from yesterday's stuff, though I'm sure it just being another day is part of that.

Something also seems to have made them think she could have gotten in trouble up in the Rock Canyon area (they've actually got a contact of their own apparently who was up flying with FLIR today - I don't think it was LE - and they seem to have friends who are trained in S&R and have been initiating a lot of their own planning/searching and it's switched from being more casual) whereas yesterday it seemed like they were kind of thinking she went for a walk and sort of stayed gone to clear her head or something.

I've not figured out if the stuff in the media about possible concern if her metal state is playing into this is because of anything unusual, or more a general thing making her more at risk. :dunno:

Or if she had perhaps been on a spiral in the days/weeks prior to this (could her daughter leaving for her mission and not having real contact for 18 months have been a trigger or...?) or maybe the neighbor who saw her thought she seemed really upset (though I feel like they'd have said if that was the case and LE would probably be hopping on that more)

I get the feeling the family is doing as much head scratching on a lot of this as we are reading it because it just doesn't seem like anyone knows much.

It seems like her being out just walking the neighborhood or toward the canyon wasn't unusual, and that but not really truly into it might be unusual. Unless there's some concrete piece of information pointing there that they've not shared (and managing to have none of the many posting inadvertently spilling it) it seems that they're thinking she must be somewhere in Rock Canyon just out of lack of anything leading anywhere else and it being the best educated guess based on where she had been seen, combined with very little info.

:-/

The good thing is...

She seems to be very loved (though the daughter's testimony alluded to there having been hard times sometimes with Nikki's mental illness)

All the families involved are getting involved - and it seems to be three family units plus the ones by extension who married into the family and now know her also. Her siblings are taking the lead for sure, but the others are helping also.

I've seen various ones trying to get the word out, searching, calling on resources/connections various ones have, and getting people praying.

I've not seen a single person hint at anything negative about Nikki at all. And I've not seen a single person say something along the lines of "you really better check out _____" nor "____ probably is involved" nor "oh she's probably _____." That makes me hopeful that there's not some known component, probably, that is of concern to be involved.

Instead it's lots of comments in various places as people find out along the lines of "I love Nikki!" "she always wants to make everyone laugh and be happy" or "I just met her and she as so friendly" type of stuff.

And several saying that Nikki wouldn't completely bail on the 5 kids, especially the youngest, nor willfully do something to impact/stress her daughter on her mission and whatnot.

Since Mormons tend to really rally around one another, that should definitely work in her favor. And family (motherhood especially) is so highly valued, so a missing mom with 5 kids - one on a mission - can really motivate people to care/help.

My experience has been that you also tend to find many who are pretty outdoorsy, which will help with getting people really out searching more difficult places.

And it seems like if some skill/ability is needed and non of them can do it, they know someone who can and they'll get them involved, or pass the need on to their ward and someone knows someone who can do it/offer their services! That's already been happening based on comments.

Plus, even just the family numbers alone helping look for Nikki are higher than entire communities are able to get out purely because there are a lot of them. They pass on it on in their circles and and at least the numbers of people aware on some level, even if not playing a particularly active role in helping, still ups the number of people possibly able to assist somehow.

Hopefully some of that will help and they'll find Nikki quickly and doing ok, and get her additional help if that's needed!

I live in the same county.

I can't count the number of times yearly where I see on KSL that someone is missing and last seen hiking. Often, the bodies are recovered from a fall. Many have extensive hiking experience too.

The time that passed before she was reported, isn't that odd.
I have a mother with mental illness as well.
We visited her Friday. Couldn't get ahold of her Saturday.
Thought maybe she had a migraine... not too worried.

Sunday rolls around. People are banging on her apartment door all day.
No response. No sign that she's been out smoking.
Her blinds are partially open and they haven't moved since Friday.
She is paranoid about those and closes them at night.
Okay, something is clearly wrong. But she lives in an apartment and it's Sunday.

So we called my Dad who fortunately had just returned to the state, with the key to her apartment.
She was not doing well at all and likely wouldn't have survived another day. She's still hospitalized.
My brother went in and pieced things together and realized it was serious. My Dad missed the signs.

However.... if she had not been in her apartment, we would not have known that until we made entry.
So it would have been more than 48 hours before she was reported missing.
My mother has a broken pelvis, so we were 99% sure she was home.
But Nikki is in much better physical shape and could be anywhere.

I don't know what her living situation is... but if the kids were gone for the weekend...
It's possible her disappearance wasn't discovered until they made entry too.
Then after the fact they connected the neighbor who saw her walking. :twocents:

The time that passed before she was reported, isn't that odd.
I have a mother with mental illness as well.
We visited her Friday. Couldn't get ahold of her Saturday.
Thought maybe she had a migraine... not too worried.

Sunday rolls around. People are banging on her apartment door all day.
No response. No sign that she's been out smoking.
Her blinds are partially open and they haven't moved since Friday.
She is paranoid about those and closes them at night.
Okay, something is clearly wrong. But she lives in an apartment and it's Sunday.

So we called my Dad who fortunately had just returned to the state, with the key to her apartment.
She was not doing well at all and likely wouldn't have survived another day. She's still hospitalized.
My brother went in and pieced things together and realized it was serious. My Dad missed the signs.

However.... if she had not been in her apartment, we would not have known that until we made entry.
So it would have been more than 48 hours before she was reported missing.
My mother has a broken pelvis, so we were 99% sure she was home.

SBM: How scary and sad this must have been for you MsF. Hugs to you and her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back