NC - 2 year old dead after finding loaded shotgun on table

Montjoy

Inactive
Reaction score
"[A] 911 call was made from a home on Golden Eagle Way. In that 911 call, a woman said a loaded shotgun was left on a table and she did not know it. In the call, she said her husband had been hunting on Sunday night.

Stout said on Tuesday that deputies had charged 31-year-old James Stepp with one felony county of involuntary manslaughter in connection with Abigail Newman's death. He said Stepp was the homeowner and husband referenced in the 911 call."

Read more: http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30...ting-of-toddler-in-henderson-co#ixzz3pwilTVXJ

Just an accident? A fluke?

Well, according to the Washington Post, "In 2015 so far, at least 13 toddlers have inadvertently killed themselves with firearms. 18 more injured themselves, 10 injured other people, and 2 killed other people."

So, it happens about once a week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...shot-by-toddlers-on-a-weekly-basis-this-year/

Will never comprehend the way guns are treated as an everyday/commonplace item in the US - left loaded on tables, closets, the rear seat of cars etc the same as a dish, book or footwear.

It's bad enough loaded guns are taken for granted, but imo so is the life they can and do cut short.

Those numbers are startling!

People are getting shot by toddlers on a weekly basis this year

nUhC9Fs.png

Startling indeed -- and just to be clear: the article linked is not talking about "children or minors in general" -- it's talking about toddlers. These are 1 to 3 year olds. It's tragic, but worse still, it should be completely avoidable.

Absolutely avoidable to infinity and beyond.

I wonder if this has always been a problem and has just recently started being put together and called out.
Its pretty tragic because people should be able to own a hunting gun or self protection gun with out being dumb and naive as heck to leave a gun out unlocked where a toddler or any child could get it. I wonder if these same people also have drinks and leave them out where their toddler can drink it. I bet ya they don't. Blaaa

Henderson toddler shooting case continued

The two people charged in the fatal shooting of a toddler appeared in court Tuesday, but proceedings were continued.

Heather Ann Bradburn Stepp, 28, and James Fuller Stepp, 31, each are charged with one felony count of involuntary manslaughter in the death of 2-year-old Abagail Newman in the Crab Creek community on Oct. 26.

The case was continued to Jan. 26 in Henderson County District Court.

If convicted, the Stepps could face 13 to 16 months in prison

BBM

CSU4JRtUkAEXfPe.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSU4JRtUkAEXfPe.jpg

Silly people! Guns don't kill people! Toddlers do!

So adorable, how tragic. She should be tucked in bed dreaming of Santa. What is this country coming to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my children were old enough to find my hiding place for my locked guns, I sold them. I wasn't going to take a chance that I might forget something. Children are to precious to take any chance on anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back