594 users online (80 members and 514 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MD - Myung Joo, 33; Youn Kim, 35; Laura 5; Jenna 3; Brandon 1, Frederick, 23 Oct 2015

Myung Joo, 33; his wife Youn Kim, 35; and their three children, Laura Joo, 5; Jenna Joo, 3; and Brandon Joo, 1, were last seen on Oct. 23.
    A family friend reported Myung Joo missing after he did not return to work Friday evening.

Investigators say one of the family's vehicles is not at their home and both cell phones have been turned off. Laura Joo was also checked out of school early on Oct. 23.

The missing vehicle is a 2005 Mercury sedan with Maryland tags A386986.

Myung+Joo2.jpg
    The sheriff's ofice released a picture of Myung Joo, but did not provide pictures of the other family members.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...338830352.html

From http://www.your4state.com/news/news/...ederick-county

"The landlord of the family's home told police that all of the family's belongings were in the residence except for a few blankets, and their other vehicle was left in the driveway.

At this time, investigators do not expect foul play. "

Can't find much about the family. Myung Joo has 2 tickets from August 2015 - speeding & using a mobile phone whilst driving. Not sure if that explains why Sheriff has his photo or not? Home address listed on tickets. Drawing a blank on SM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplepixii View Post

"The landlord of the family's home told police that all of the family's belongings were in the residence except for a few blankets, and their other vehicle was left in the driveway.

LE seems unconcerned, but to me the fact that nothing was missing except for some blankets is worrisome.
    always remembering

Jacob Wetterling, missing from St. Joseph, Minnesota since October 22, 1989

Jeanna North, missing from West Fargo, North Dakota since June 28, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by helpful View Post
    LE seems unconcerned, but to me the fact that nothing was missing except for some blankets is worrisome.
    I agree, the missing blankets is very worrisome.
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplepixii View Post

How could they tell there were blankets missing? Weird.
    We needs more info. It seems like they just went out on vacation or a chore.

Maybe off the beds? That doesn't sound too good either.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ms_x_to_the_m View Post
    How could they tell there were blankets missing? Weird.
    We needs more info. It seems like they just went out on vacation or a chore.
    Leaving work for a few hours and saying you will be back doesn't sound like somebody going on vacation. We definitely need more info.
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireNC View Post
    Leaving work for a few hours and saying you will be back doesn't sound like somebody going on vacation. We definitely need more info.
    Wonder what the wife's fellow co-workers had to say?

Kim also did not report to her job in Montgomery County, said Deputy 1st Class Amanda Hatcher, a sheriff's office spokeswoman.
    I wonder if that mans the 23rd
    (the day everything different with husband/work and daughter being picked up early happened?) or if she was there the 23rd but not after - or the 22nd?

Did she simply not show up or did she tell them something prior?

Who dropped the daughter Laura off to school and was that different than usual?

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/new...29e32e97d.html

I hope they've gotten this in any Korean language papers in the area.

I also hope they have put up signs soliciting info at Korean grocers in the surrounding slightly area, depending on where the closest ones are, and maybe any small little restaurants closer to their home.

I have a feeling they may have a better shot at useful info there than in a ton of English language papers.

Lack of family or seemingly known close friends in the area either (since LE has 'exhausted' many of the 'means in their investigation' and are soliciting public assistance) sure seem to be making it hard, but also unlikely those who know them are going to know anything very useful. :-/

Both of the family's cellphones were turned off, and detectives haven't identified any family members living in the immediate area, Hatcher said, explaining that Joo and Kim are originally from South Korea.

Detectives checked for the family on international flights out of the area and contacted the South Korean Consulate General to seek assistance in the case, Hatcher said.
    I wonder how long each had been living in the US?

Did they move to US before or after getting married?

How frequently did they return to visit Korea?

Had family there noticed anything unusual in their conversations/communications?

More on where they live:

They left their belongings behind in the basement apartment that they were renting and took only one of their two vehicles, county sheriff’s spokeswoman Amanda Hatcher said.
    Very short time window left at 4 and didn't return at 6 and LE was called

Hatcher said that Myung Joo, 33, went to his job at a restaurant in the county last Friday. He told co-workers around 4 p.m. that he needed to leave, but he would be back in two hours.

When he did not return at 6 p.m., a co-worker called police.
    They seem to have basically called police IMMEDIATELY after he didn't return as he said he would.

Why?

Had he gotten a phone call and left after that? Or was he at work and suddenly just said he needed to leave and would be back in 2 hours and basically up and left?

Is he that prompt and this so out of character to have asked with to begin with something that really raised red flags?

Or had they had some other concerns we're not getting (or that might not even be relayed if any of those is being done via translation or of people from various cultures who might not be inclined to offer information if it's not directly asked for?)

And if that whole calling LE basically immediately upon his being late after the weird leaving seems very significant if this is more than just a man who was very conscientious at work and maybe indicative something else may have been up and had concerns raised.

I wonder if Myung Joo knew they would call so quickly if he didn't return?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ea1_story.html

Investigators learned that Joo had taken Laura out of school early that day.
    I wonder if they mean Laura was picked up early from like after school care - because no way was she still in school-school at 4 when she's at best in Kindergarten?

Or had Laura been picked up even earlier (like before Joo went to work at the start of his shift?)

Since then, Kim, 35, has not appeared at her job at a Germantown restaurant, and both of the couple’s cellphones are off, Hatcher said.
    This still is fuzzy to me about mom...

She didn't appear "since then" as in she didn't work on the 23rd or after the 23rd?

Was she due to work the 23rd? If not, did they also report her missing when she didn't show (whenever that was)? Or had LE gotten to them already?

If she wasn't at work at all on the 23rd, that expands the window of time something else was possibly going on I'd think.

Mom not showing "since then" also makes me wonder the work schedule/childcare schedule.

Dad was due to return to work by 6 and didn't. How late does he work? Apparently late enough that he had a few hours left that he wasn't there for - and which would presumably be the busy time over dinner.

Both working in restaurants could mean both working late or similar shifts.

So what usually happens with the kids or do they alternate so one is with the kids?

I'd guess they must alternate - at least for a lot of it unless maybe mom works less hours or more infrequently?

Because otherwise that's 3 very young kids to pay for a lot of childcare on two restaurant pay checks, potentially during more 'off' hours of daycare programs (since at least dad worked evenings/nights it seems)

So does that mean Youn Kim was home with the other little kids during the day (like on the 23rd when seemingly only Laura would have been at after school care that late)?

Who last saw her and the kids?

Basement apartment, so did anyone hear/see them come/go?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ea1_story.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast