1154 users online (238 members and 916 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class - #2

South Carolina sheriff's deputy on leave after dragging student from her desk
    Matthew Teague
    Tuesday 27 October 2015 11.57 EDT

The video shows a school monitor reported to be Ben Fields – who is also a Richland county sheriff’s deputy – confronting the female student.

When she refuses to leave her seat in a classroom at Spring Valley high school in Columbia, he tells her: “I’ll make you.” He then wraps his arm around her neck, flips her desk backward, then drags her across the floor. He arrested both the girl, and a male student.

Ben Fields, South Carolina Deputy, Fired Over Student Arrest
    By ALAN BLINDEROCT. 28, 2015

[...]
    The deputy, Ben Fields, was dismissed two days after the episode at Spring Valley High School, where students recorded an encounter that spread quickly across social media and became a vivid reminder of concerns about the treatment of black people by law enforcement officers.

“He picked a student up, and he threw the student across the room; that is not a proper technique,” Sheriff Leon Lott of Richland County said at a news conference in Columbia, where he told reporters, “Deputy Ben Fields did wrong this past Monday, so we’re taking responsibility for that.”
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Thanks for the new thread!

Okay. So a lot of posters think a better solution than physically dragging her out of her desk would be to let her stay there, and assign her other punishments at a later time. In school suspensions, Saturday detention, that sort of thing. And I agree with that for some cases.

The problem is, ISS and detentions tend to have MUCH more strict rules, and MUCH more in your face demands for behavior. Get your head up off your desk right now. Don't slouch. Stop talking, that's it, you just signed yourself up for another Saturday detention.

IMHO, that would have only further delayed the confrontation where someone would have to physically force this child to comply. You have to be VERY VERY compliant to get through ISS and Detention without being assigned more.

I think "passing the buck" to an ISS teacher or a detention monitor would only kick the problem further down the road, and that is that this girl will not respond to direct instruction from people who are in legitimate authority.

Bessie, can you clarify if this girl is considered a victim and/or a minor?

Either way you rule, I think it will eliminate some of the acrimonious posts.

Thank you in advance. I don't want a vacay!

Students walk out to show support for fired S.C. school deputy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...hool/74874920/
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Students walk out to show support for fired S.C. school deputy

I feel so sorry for those kids.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBee View Post

defendant would also apply, seeing as she's facing prosecution for disturbing the school
    “You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know.”

― William Wilberforce

"Be sure and make a good job of it!"

-Harry Harbord Morant

"All we ask is to be let alone."

-Jefferson Davis

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I feel so sorry for those kids.
    Why do you feel sorry for them?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Someone in the previous thread said they see her as failing. Wouldn't it be great if she excels? That is my wish for her.

So back in the day, my son got into a minor misdemeanor, class c, and as a result had to go to this "scared straight" type of evening where they put the fear of God into these kids that if they don't straighten up and fly right they'll rot in prison. BTW, these were all kids who were caught smoking, truant, at an underage drinking party, etc. A parent had to attend with the kid. The whole thing was kind of heavy-handed, but the teacher was reasonable and likable enough. No one wanted to be there, everyone wanted to bolt for the door, but the air was civil.

THEN, some aggressive guy walked in and challenged the instructor. I don't know what his thing was exactly, but he entered the room and asked if all these kids had been convicted of crimes. No? Then why are they here. The guy was very menacing. At first, it seemed to everyone that this was part of the presentation and everyone sat there and watched as if we were all watching a stageplay.

Then it became apparent this was NOT a play, and it was this guy against the program presenter. EVERYONE in the room sided with the program presenter, and many adults and kids rose in their seats to defend him. It was after hours in the county courthouse, and there would be no help for this presenter if not for the participants in the room who didn't want to be there in the first place.

The point of this whole long-winded story is, most people recognize and respect legitimate authority. Even if this agitator believed himself to be on the kid's side. Even if the kids are there under duress. I think this aggressor thought he would have a room full of supporters - but he had none. I don't know what his beef was with this program, but he clearly had a beef. Everyone else in the room could sort out the legitimacy of the presenter.

Anyway. After the aggressor was chased off and the presenter called on his cell for police backup, the room relaxed into a very cohesive environment. We aren't lawless. Most people aren't lawless. Most people recognize a threat to legitimate authority.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    Someone in the previous thread said they see her as failing. Wouldn't it be great if she excels? That is my wish for her.
    I think it's quite possible she will excel. She has a foster parent who seems very reasonable, and is working to help her out.

A post on the last thread said that the students who support Fields think he did the right thing. Well one of those students is quoted that he supports Fields but does not agree with his conduct.

It also occurs to me that if this was uncharacteristic for the officer, maybe he needs to have a welfare check at home? Either way, I believe he should be charged with assault.

John Cassibry, a 17-year-old senior, posted a video of the demonstration and photos of students wearing protest T-shirts.

Cassibry, who participated in the protest, told The Huffington Post that while he did not agree with Fields' conduct in arresting the student, he also did not believe the officer deserved to be fired.

"I believe it is important as a student to voice my opinion," Cassibry told HuffPost."My belief on Deputy Fields is just that — I do believe he was too aggressive, but I do not believe it was any circumstance to lose his job, nor do I believe it was race-driven."

Lawyer for Teen in SC School Assault Video Speaks on Injuries She Suffered, Whether She Is an Orphan and Fake ******** Pages

On Thursday a lawyer for the South Carolina teen who was violently assaulted by a school resource officer appeared on activist Joe Madison's radio show on Sirius to clarify remarks posted about the teen and the incident.

"This is not a child with a great deal of means," Rutherford said. "This is not a child where a cellphone came easy. This is probably the most valuable possession this child has. So for the teacher to try and take that, to her, was shocking, so she simply sat there quietly."

Officials for the Richland County Police Department claimed that no injuries arose from the incident, but Rutherford told WLTX that his client suffered multiple injuries as a result of the officer's assault.

"He weighs about 300 pounds," Rutherford said. "She is a student who is 16 years old who now has a cast on her arm, a Band-Aid on her neck, and neck and back problems. There’s something wrong here."

I hope the following info. is taking into consideration when making that determination.

The sheriff said the student, arrested on a charge of disturbing school, also should be held accountable. The girl hit the officer as he tried to remove her from the class, Lott said.

"She was very disruptive, she was very disrespectful and she started this whole incident with her actions," the sheriff said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0SM1N120151029

I read a lot of speculation on the previous thread that the other students in the class were probably glad to see the girl removed since she was disrupting their learning.

I watched this video all the way to the end (thanks, Bluesneakers) and I don't see any students looking too happy about what is going on. Most have their heads scrunched down, one completely, as if they don't even want to watch what's happening. I don't see any jubilation or relief that the student is being removed. Their postures express fear and discomfort to me.

https://youtu.be/ggVMqzhkfCk
    Be kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle.

My favorite song ever -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUIPlLw2ZE

She's not a victim in the usual sense of the word as it applies at Websleuths. Obviously, there was wrong on both sides. That said, posts that are deliberately mean-spirited won't be allowed. Posters, however, aren't prohibited from expressing the view that the officer's actions were warranted.

I'd advise that rather than continue to focus on the student, a more productive discussion would come from debating the issue of whether or not LEO's should be school monitors. In other words, focus on the issues, and not the individuals. And as always, don't expect to change anyone's mind.

"Unfortunately, our Legislature passed a law that's called 'disturbing schools,' " he [Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott] said.

"If a student disturbs school -- and that's a wide range of activities, 'disturbing schools' -- they can be arrested. Our goal has always been to see what we can do without arresting the kids. We don't need to arrest these students. We need to keep them in schools."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/29/us/sou...arrest-videos/

Officers can 'break down these barriers'

"It breaks down these barriers where the law enforcement officers are seen as an enemy," said Michael Allison, a Pennsylvania high school principal and president of the National Association of Secondary School Principals. "In the majority of cases around the country, that's what school resource officers are doing every day."

Mo Canady, executive director of the National Association of School Resource Officers, said it takes a special kind of officer.

"That's one of the most unique jobs in law enforcement and it takes a very unique individual who understands that to some degree students have a different way about them sometimes," he said. "And you know, they're going to say and do things that we might not like, but are not necessarily criminal in nature."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/us/sou...urce-officers/

And btw, if you don't want a vacay, don't respond.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast