Thread: He's alive- He was found 18 days after Katrina

He's alive- He was found 18 days after Katrina

Day after day, for more than two weeks, the 76-year-old man sat trapped and alone in his attic, sipping from a dwindling supply of water until it ran out. No food. No way out of a house ringed by foul floodwaters.

Without ever leaving home, Gerald Martin lived out one of the most remarkable survival stories of Hurricane Katrina. Rescuers who found him Friday, as they searched his neighborhood by boat, were astounded at his good spirits and resiliency after 18 days without food or human contact.

"It's an incredible story of survival," said Louie Fernandez, spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency search unit that carried out the rescue.

Incredibly, Martin who ran out of his gallon-and-a-half water supply on Thursday was able to walk out of the house with just a bit of assistance.

"He was weak, very tired, but he was able to speak, able to stand," Fernandez said. "He was very relieved. He was very thirsty. He was in good spirits."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in856340.shtml
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

That's an incredible survival story, thanks for sharing it!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

He's a hero!

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Just read that - poor guy. Wonder how may are still trapped in their homes - dead or alive????

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Great story!

'We have half a happy ending'

I don't know if this has been posted before but it's pretty amazing....and sad.

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- John and Leola Lyons stayed together, locked in their neat little blue house, riding out the killer storm and the flood that followed.

A pair of agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms found the elderly couple inside their house Tuesday, more than three weeks after Hurricane Katrina roared through New Orleans.

John was keeping watch over his wife's body.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/21/kat....ap/index.html

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

There will be many more stories of this. We just don't know the horror yet.