Absract 16 from No to Houston

mic730

Former Member
Reaction score
I hope this fits here. A band of 16 mentally ill patients made it from New Orleans to Houston on their own! They even stayed on their meds through the trip. Made me smile.

Katrina Kicked Off Troubled Souls' Odyssey

Sunday, September 18, 2005
HOUSTON - They're out there. The shooters, the choppers, the looters, the lines, the foul water and the bodies. Especially the bodies. "But we're in here," says Victor Fruge.

Others - hundreds of thousands of them - had also escaped from New Orleans. But few could match the extraordinary, even miraculous odyssey of Fruge and his comrades - 16 mentally ill men and recovering addicts, cast out of their group home, Abstract House, by the storm.

For a week the men stuck together through Hurricane Katrina and its rising waters, following a survival instinct like a candle in the dark and gamely caring for each other as they traveled unsupervised for nearly 500 miles. They arrived at dawn in Houston, a sprawling and unfamiliar city among the thousands of hurricane refugees who have made the exodus to Texas, but without a friend in ...
http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newsst...050918/432ce640_3ca6_1552620050918-1773843011

What a fabulous story. Thank you for posting it. It made my night.

I loved this story. This group of people, probably wouldn't have survived on their own. But because they stuck together- they did very well. I loved it that the doctor asked Vic if he was the groups caregiver. And he answered no he was one of the patients! He was wrong- he was a very good caretaker. And the guy who said if one of us had to go to the bathroom, we all go to the bathroom. It was that sticking together that kept them safe.
They did what so many didn't do in NO. They stuck together, took care of each other, and shared what they had with each other. Thank you for posting this. I truly enjoyed this story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back