Gunpowder Treason & Plot: presenting Guy Fawkes Day and Bonfire Night

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
There once was another thread -- vanished now into an ætheric haze -- full of 05 November and Guy Fawkes stuff; but the search engine's failing to find it just now, AND SO: another.

Wiki:

Guy Fawkes Night

Mirror:

Is it time to stop burning Guy Fawkes? Maybe
we should put modern day effigies on the pyre

Independent:

Anonymous: How the Guy Fawkes mask became an icon of the protest movement

uk.yahoo:

Bonfire Night: Why do we remember Guy Fawkes but
not the Gunpowder Plot mastermind Robert Catesby?

And much else online for those interested. Remember:

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot;
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

[video=youtube;_RqdfEhG_GU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RqdfEhG_GU[/video]

Not looking forward to this at all.
I already have a chav throwing objects at people from a council estate near my street in the middle of the night.
Main reason I am not looking forward to it is because I know police here will do nothing, if anything happens...
They are pretty much "Oh! noone killed you yet?? Well call us when they do"

eta: I should add I currently live in se London...

Ok, have read up on this. They will likely not reach where we are, but hopefully no 10.
I thought there was another brainless riot coming...
I feel safer now.

Thank you wfgodot for posting, this is not in my local paper.

eta: I will post tomorrow if anything happens near us, but it seems all focused on central London, which is 100% fine with me.
If ALL rioters could ALWAYS focus on rich persons...

[video=youtube;fG_l8HVTAog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_l8HVTAog[/video]

[video=youtube;TCw9_avTlYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCw9_avTlYs[/video]

The revolution will be televised...via your iPhone, uploaded to your iMac, whilst you are dressed in your best anarchist chic - Nike, Burberry, V masks made in sweatshops in India, not forgetting the adoption of faux-Esturary to try and disguise your trustafarian roots.

Meh.

I read through all the incidents listed and am saddened and disgusted at the protestors.

It seems to me that the reason they protest is just to cause chaos and destruction and they enjoy it. Not all of them but the ones causing the trouble really seem to enjoy the chaos. It is just a stupid reason to go out and cause chaos and hurt animals and other people.

What a travesty as people look for excuses to go on rampage.

Its a gang mentality that propagates. If you look closely at the people behind the masks they are some ordinary kids just there for a wild time. Some eating food and taking breaks. Some have nice expensive jackets and watches on so its not like the poor folks of society protesting the rich government.

Its just a reason to go out and have a riot every year.

I bet if someone polled the people there and asked them why they are protesting that half of them or more would not have a good answer. Most would say because my friends are coming.

Just very SAD.

My son loves the movie V for Vendetta. We observe Guy Fawkes Day mildly at home, this little guy stays in the holiday decoration closet most of the year:

http://www.dltk-holidays.com/guyfawkes/mpaperguyfawkes.htm

In the US, there is always icky body part candy for Halloween.

I use root-beer barrels, too.

Like most Americans, I'm able to ignore (or at least obscure) the actual meaning of a holiday if cute decorations & candy can be substituted....

It took me 20 years to figure out Guy Fawkes was the bad guy.

eta: I thought he was the bad guy and was confused by everyone else thinking he was the good guy. Until some Anglophile Canadians educated me.

It took me 20 years to figure out Guy Fawkes was the bad guy.

eta: I thought he was the bad guy and was confused by everyone else thinking he was the good guy. Until some Anglophile Canadians educated me.
Yet his audaciousness attracts.

I never saw the V for Vendetta movie. That's where the masks come from, right?

From the comic book series by Alan Moore and David Lloyd which was the basis for the same-titled film.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back