Identified! CA - Salton City, WhtMale UP13243, 40-60, in desert, 'U.S.N.' tattoo, Aug'02 - namus removed

Romulus

Reaction score
NamUs UP Case 13243

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13243 Warning to open!!

Unidentified White male
* Found August 17, 2002 in Imperial County, CA
* Estimated Year of Death: 2000 to 2002

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: 40-60 years old

* Approximate Height: 68' estimated

* Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair color gray;
2 inch with moderate male pattern balding; blue eyes.

Tattoos:
Rt Shoulder "Shannan", Lt Shoulder Eagle holding a reef with a life preserver in the center, Lt Buttocks "USN", Lt Inner forearm circle surrounded by a single line that could indicate flames or heat waves radiating out from the circle

* Dentals:
charting is not available

* Clothing/Jewelry:
gray long sleeve pull over sweatshirt with the logo "Bulls" around the neck and across the front and lower left and right arms of the sweatshirt, blue jeans, white socks, black belt; brown jacket; black high top hiking shoes; 1 green military type jacket, green water bottle with white top, utility knife, pair of socks, "whet" stone.

* DNA: Not
available - Not yet submitted

Case History:
Decedent was found lying next to a roadway in Salton City in the open desert.

That's a Nazi eagle with the swastika blacked out. I wonder if he was killed as retaliation for leaving a gang.

This is exactly what it is. Reef and life preserver...please.

I can't really make out what the other tattoo graphic is. The quality is poor. Looks like the sun and earth to me?

The block lettered tattoo looks like it says USM to me.

Salton City is a really weird place with so many visitors and transients.

Agree on the nazi tattoo. USN would be US Navy, right? I wonder if they're prison tats, in which case his prints should have been on file.

We don't know that he was killed though. I don't see a cause of death listed.

That estimated date of death in Namus has to be wrong. It can't be 2000 to 2002. He was found in 2002, has a recognizable face, and had been dead for "hours".

This is exactly what it is. Reef and life preserver...please.

I can't really make out what the other tattoo graphic is. The quality is poor. Looks like the sun and earth to me?

The block lettered tattoo looks like it says USM to me.

Salton City is a really weird place with so many visitors and transients.

I think they mean "wreath." Some people, Mr. Carbuff included, mispronounce some th's as f and vice versa. Very annoying.

I think they mean "wreath." Some people, Mr. Carbuff included, mispronounce some th's as f and vice versa. Very annoying.

I think so too. I can see the wreath. But if you google "nazi eagle tattoo" you find a lot of very similar images, but with a swastika where the "life preserver" is on his tat.

Anyone else think this man is older than the upper estimate of 60? If he's at the lower end of 40 then he had an extraordinarily difficult life.

Agree that this looks like it was a Nazi tattoo. I wonder if the flaming eye is the Eye of Sauron. White Supremacists are huge fans of Tolkein's work.

I also don't think the letters on the left buttock are USN. Maybe an M? JN? IN?

The band Tool also uses the flaming eye as a symbol, especially connected to one of their albums. I don't know whether they have any particular ties to Neo-nazi type stuff. The other tattoo design certainly looks like many Nazi designs, but there are many many other eagles as well, even some that have the US red-white-and-blue shield where the black diamond shape is.

I agree that the letters aren't USN. Could be USM, or JN. Or US with a dot and another letter or two. I thought maybe US.DI?

UID13243b.jpg UID132431b.jpg UID132432b.jpg
Ok, the first picture is not an eyeball but the state of Illinois with an X at Dubuque, Iowa.
The second picture is U.S. DI for Dubuque, Iowa.
The third picture is of the number 4 dice, or four corners. Perhaps he lived in the Four Corners area of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona? Or the four corners could represent jail.
Just guessing but he is either from Dubuque, Iowa or East Dubuque, Illinois.

Last edited:
FWIW, These letters look similar to something like this... (in particular, the 2nd image)

(I attempted to draw over the tattoo to demonstrate, but then I found a photo ;) )

A3AEF5FD-9783-4270-8E77-07749144F4BF.jpeg 5B9ADEC7-8816-4C74-8EEE-69D0F9227F9D.jpeg 419B5717-AC9A-4B42-A84B-4B958DC19579.png

ETA: I also believe the eagle (German Eagle) is likely holding a swastika symbol (coverup)...possibly German or Russian decent?

Last edited:
FWIW, These letters look similar to something like this... (in particular, the 2nd image)

(I attempted to draw over the tattoo to demonstrate, but then I found a photo ;) )

View attachment 220817 View attachment 220818 View attachment 220819

ETA: I also believe the eagle (German Eagle) is likely holding a swastika symbol (coverup)...possibly German or Russian decent?

If it were a cover-up of a Nazi symbol, it probably would be darkest in the middle where the two lines cross. But, I'm seeing a lighter area in the middle...JMHO

Could possibly be one of those local street gang symbols from back in the 70's, perhaps something like a 4th street gang from East Dubuque IL.

I'm still hooked on this being a guy who grew up in East Dubuque, IL or Dubuque, IA. Also, since he was wearing a shirt will "Bulls" on it, he was probably a Chicago Bulls fan, too.

PS...If I'm right about this guy being from the Dubuque area, then maybe he has a grown daughter named "Shannan" (his other tattoo) who might still live there.

Last edited:
Michael Steven Bowcott – The Charley Project

ETA: I did not intend to send that... but there it is... (I don’t think he is the UID FYI)

This guy is listed as being taller than the UID by a few inches, height it correct, eyes are listed as brown and his age is over the 40-60 year range estimated for the UID and there’s no mention of him having tattoos...but the circumstances and time frame seem to fit.

Humberto Caballero – The Charley Project

ETA: here’s the link I meant to post initially :confused:

Daniel L. Fraher – The Charley Project

Last edited:
Anyone else think this man is older than the upper estimate of 60? If he's at the lower end of 40 then he had an extraordinarily difficult life.

if he indeed had all those Nazi tattoos, hes likely been to prison and most def had a difficult life.

possible fingers decayed for prints? idk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back