Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #1 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

catswhiskers

Reaction score
Police have formally identified a body found on the northern Gold Coast on Thursday as missing 12-year-old schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer.

Tiahleigh, from Logan City, had not been seen since leaving her Marsden school last Friday.

Her remains were found on the banks of the Pimpama River, about 40 metres north of the bridge near Kerkin Road North, by fishermen just after 5:00pm on Thursday.

Body Found at Pimpama River identified as missing schoolgirl Tiahleiah Palmer - ABC News

It really makes me sad that Tiahleigh's missing person case was only reported on MSM on Thursday evening, after being missing for a week prior (as per the news article). I suppose there are "reasons" why, but right now I'm not seeing those reasons as being good ones. She was only a little girl, we should have been hearing about her every day.

If she was murdered, which is terrible to think about, I hope the person responsible is found quickly.

It was reported on local crime watch pages and shared from day 1
It really makes me sad that Tiahleigh's missing person case was only reported on MSM on Thursday evening, after being missing for a week prior (as per the news article). I suppose there are "reasons" why, but right now I'm not seeing those reasons as being good ones. She was only a little girl, we should have been hearing about her every day.

If she was murdered, which is terrible to think about, I hope the person responsible is found quickly.

So so sad. May her killer be found and brought to justice ASAP.

She was found about 35ks from her school, quite a distance for a 12 yo to travel alone, so it seems she may have been abducted. :(

No, really, it wasn't on main stream media, I wasn't disputing that, no need to apologise.

There seems to be a lot of talk on social media suggesting that this was an abduction. I will be very surprised if this was a random abduction. I think it's far more likely she was killed by someone she knew.

A big thing was made a few months ago by Qld Police regarding the introduction of Amber Alerts for missing kids. I live at Gold Coast - about 30km from where she was found and never heard anything about Tiahleigh being missing. It is usually on the local news.

12.6 Amber alerts
Definitions
For the purposes of this section:
Amber alert
means a process that involves the urgent broadcast of relevant information through the media and other
means to the public to facilitate the search for, location and the safe recovery of an abducted child or high
risk missing child.
Abducted child
means a person under the age of eighteen years who:
(a) is reasonably suspected of having been abducted or taken away by a person; and
(b) there appears to be an imminent risk of death or serious harm to them.
It is irrelevant whether the person taking the child has lawful custody of the child, or whether the person
has obtained the consent of a parent/guardian to take the child.
High risk missing child
means a person under the age of eighteen years who:
(a) is missing in concerning or suspicious circumstances; and
(b) there appears to be an imminent risk of death or serious harm to them.
Rationale for an amber alert
An amber alert is intended for time critical situations. While it can be a very important tool in helping to locate a child, it
is not always appropriate in every circumstance. The inappropriate use of amber alerts could undermine the credibility,
integrity and effectiveness of the system.
When considering the activation of an amber alert the circumstances and risk factors of each case should be appraised
on its’ own merits.
POLICY
For an alert to be issued there should be:
(i) sufficient descriptive information available to make an amber alert effective; and
(ii) reasonable grounds for believing an amber alert will assist in the location and safe recovery of the child.
See ‘Amber alert guidelines’ on the Communications Group web page on the Service Intranet for further details

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/corporatedocs/OperationalPolicies/Documents/OPM/Chapter12.pdf

Wow, the reporters were really questioning this child's background and family situation. Not that they were successful in getting any dirt, but what are they implying? It sounds like they know quite a bit already.

Here is a summary for anyone who can't watch:

* No confirmed sightings since 8:10am when Tiah was dropped off to school, when she was dropped off to school by her "carer".
* Cause of death undetermined at this time.
* Public appeals for anyone saw Tiah on 30/10/2015 to come forward. Anyone who drove on Chambers Flat Road and Muchow Road who may have a GoPro in their vehicle. Anyone who lives on those roads with CCTV pointing towards the footpath. Anyone who has been near the Pimpama Bridge within the last 7 days, even if they didn't see anything--police are attempting to establish a timeline.
* Police have and will continue to seek information from Tiah's peers, but also asked parents with children attending her school to speak to them about Tiah and if they knew of any plans she might have had for 30/10/2015.
* No reason provided about the delay in issuing the missing person's information through the media. It was stated that ongoing efforts had been made to find Tiah prior to the media release.
* Tiah's family background not relevant. Lots of nosying from reporters around Tiah's family situation but further discussion was shut down with a reminder about legislation.

The dropped off by cater statement sounds odd. Do not mum or dad?

MOO!!

The dropped off by cater statement sounds odd. Do not mum or dad?

MOO!!

"Carer" usually means "foster carer" although the detective could have meant something different. However, unfortunately I think he let the cat of the bag so to speak. This is why the media is so being so nosy, and they should know better. In QLD (and across Australia) the media is not allowed to publicly identify a child as being in foster care. Usually they are not permitted to publish their photographs either, even if there is no reference to the child being in foster care, although exceptions can be made.

(Having said that, I am not saying that Tiahleigh was in foster care, because I don't know. And if I did, naturally I wouldn't say so.)

If you read it on Facebook, leave it on Facebook unless you can provide a link.

WEBSLEUTHS' RULES - SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS, e.g., FACEBOOK and TWITTER

Approved Pages/Profiles

Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

• Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
  • Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.
  • Paraphrasing is okay.
  • Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.
  • Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
  • If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

• Links may be used to direct members to a post by the owner or an admin of an approved social media page/profile.
  • Posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.
  • Paraphrasing is okay.
  • ***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.
  • Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”: If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

Any exception must first be approved by an administrator. You can contact an admininstrator via private message, or send an email towebsleuthscomments@gmail.com

EXAMPLE: If a suspect has been arrested for a crime relevant to the discussion topic, and you want to post a Facebook screencap from his/her personal page, you must first obtain approval from administration.

My heart is aching!! What a beautiful girl she was, something so calm and dignified about her.

I'm so so sorry you had to experience something so horrific!

May you rest in peace now Tiah! No one can hurt you now anymore. Fly free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo