I want to pursue a career in investigation. Advice?

coffeemom

Reaction score
Hello! As my nickname implies, I'm a mom of 2 (possibly soon to be 3). I've been a stay-at-home-mom for 10 years. During that time, I've developed a strong interest in children's issues. I have now decided to pursue a career in investigation, specifically child protective investigation.

I graduated in 2003 with a bachelor's degree in communications, and also have a few classes in graphic design, philosophy, and pre-med studies under my belt (yes, it has taken me years to settle on something, but I feel that this may be my calling after all.)

The reason I'm posting is to inquire about possible career paths. I'm thinking about doing some volunteer work at the local sheriff's department to get a feeling for the criminal justice scene, and then taking the 40-hour training before getting licensed (I live in Florida.) Other than that, I'm not quite sure what I need to do to prepare for a career in the field. Should I get a master's degree? Should I join, or network with, any specific organizations? Is it more advisable to work with an agency, or independently?

I would either like to focus on child trafficking, or child abuse investigation... I'm not sure yet.

Thank you.

Contact your local Sheriff's office and see if you can volunteer with the Victims advocate, if they have one. I am sure they do, most LE offices have one on staff. I volunteer with Hernando County in the cold case section, been there 4 months and love it.

Hello! I think that it's a great variant for you right now. By the way, If you want to make a career in the investigation, I can definitely advise you not to give up. If you have faced any problems, you'd better have a look at some website with job variants because there are many good offers for people like you. Just have a glance at them somewhere, and probably it will help you. Good luck.

Contact you local child protective services bureau and see what their requirements are, they may let you intern at first.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back