NY - Lois Colley, 83, beaten to death, North Salem, 9 Nov 2015 *Arrest*

clearskies1

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/n...y-socialite-was-murdered-police-say.html?_r=0

"A prominent socialite and the wife of a millionaire McDonald’s franchise owner was found dead in her Westchester County home this week, and the New York State Police said on Tuesday that they believed she was murdered.

The woman, Lois Colley, 83, died from a blunt force trauma, the police said. The only item that they believed to be missing from the family’s home on Titicus Road in North Salem, N.Y., was a small fire extinguisher."

Not trying to be sarcastic, but I don't believe this one will be too hard to solve, surely?

How awful, to live to 83 and then be murdered. RIP Lois.

I would think the fire exstinguisher was the murder weapon and therefore taken because of prints.

I would think the fire exstinguisher was the murder weapon and therefore taken because of prints.

Yes, they're searching the areas surrounding the home looking for the extinguisher.

NORTH SALEM - Eighty-three-year-old socialite Lois Colley spoke with someone about 3 p.m. Monday. Just more than two hours later, a caretaker at her Titicus Road home found her dead near the garage.

State police say the wife of millionaire McDonald's franchise owner Eugene Colley died of blunt force trauma to the head. The caretaker is not a suspect and there was no sign of forced entry, police said. It does not appear anything was taken other than a small fire extinguisher, but police are not saying whether they suspect it was used to kill Colley and they have little to offer by way of a motive or possible suspects.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2015/11/10/north-salem-homicide/75505208/

Lois Colley, 83 — whose polo-playing son, Bruce, famously broke up Gov. Cuomo’s marriage when he had an affair with Kerry Kennedy — was found on the floor in a laundry room just inside the garage at the family’s 300-acre North Salem compound.

She apparently interrupted a burglary and was killed by the intruder, suffering blunt-force trauma to the head, sources said.

A fire extinguisher was missing and may have been used as the murder weapon, the sources said.

“It looks like a burglary that she might have walked in on. She was found by a caretaker who immediately calls the husband at work,” a source said.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/10/mother-of-playboy-who-broke-up-cuomo-kennedy-marriage-found-murdered/

NYT:

Shock and Few Leads After Murder of Lois Colley, Society Matriarch

NORTH SALEM, N.Y. — This pastoral playground in the northeast corner of Westchester County, laced with horse paddocks and stone walls, has long been a draw for the wealthy and well-connected.
---
Mrs. Colley was a pillar of the community — a fixture of a local garden club; a mainstay of the Golden’s Bridge Hounds, whose traditional fox hunts are a major social event every fall; a philanthropist who did not seek the spotlight, and a protector of open space.
---
On Wednesday, the New York State Police said they were exploring the possibility of a link to a spate of burglaries in Ridgefield, Conn., which borders North Salem.
---
“We’re looking at all avenues at this point,” said Joseph Becerra, a State Police investigator.
---
The tranquillity of the countryside here, and the relative lack of crime in town, has residents puzzling over possible answers, none of them pleasant. Some speculate that Mrs. Colley happened on an intruder in a town where people are perhaps too trusting.

“Doors are never locked,” said Donna Bonelli, a retired caterer.
---
much more at link

It always amazes me when I hear people say they don't lock their doors. From the article above:

“Doors are never locked,” said Donna Bonelli, a retired caterer, who added that she had just seen the Colleys on Saturday at a reception to celebrate the opening of a new firehouse. Her husband, Mike Bonelli, agreed: “We’ve been away for a week and left our door unlocked.”

:confused:

Investigators don’t know the whereabouts of Colley’s husband, Eugene, known for his empire of roughly 100 McDonald’s restaurants, but authorities don’t believe he is a suspect in her death, state police Lt. Paul DeQuatro said.

New York State Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for Colley’s death.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/11/12/lois-colley-death-reward/

With 300 acres and described as a compound, I hope their security system was working. Compounds, in my mind, consist of a large home and smaller homes for the hired help. Hopefully someone living there saw something. I hope it wasn't an employee...

I'm also very surprised there is not a larger reward amount being put forward by family and/or friends. 2500.00 is probably pocket change to most in that social echelon.

So is the husband "missing" or are his whereabouts just not known to LE?

Trying to figure out how to delicately ask if the mister had any mental competency issues that are known.

Strange that she is dead, the fire extinguisher is missing and the husband's whereabouts are "not known" to investigators.

Don't mind me, I just see a lot in my work with elders.

They don't know the whereabouts of her husband?
Wouldn't someone within the family or corporation know his whereabouts?

We must have posted at the same time

The wake is scheduled for this afternoon and the funeral tomorrow morning. Surely, he must attend, I would think?

I just looked at the property on Google Earth and the driveway to the house is really long. There are houses along the driveway and a barn, riding ring, pastures, hay fields and horses from what I could see up towards the house. Behind the property looks like acres upon acres of woods.

Horses require help and I hope someone on the property saw something. It seems unusual that an unknown assailant could pass unnoticed unless it was a familiar car...

Wasn't it said the person who found her called the husband at work? So he can't be a suspect. Then why is it even mentioned in the news that LE don't know where he is?

Who put up the reward? Very perplexing that it is so low.

And who else is living in the house? They said nothing but the fire extinguisher is missing. So either the husband had a look at jewelry and other valuables and found them all in place, or someone else is living there?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back