07-29-2015, 09:03 PM #1
Claremont Serial Killer: Media, Timelines, Photos *NO-DISCUSSION*
Use this thread to post snips of MSM articles, images, timelines and maps relevant to the Claremont Serial Killer.
This is a non-discussion thread. Comments will be removed.
*Remember that all published material must include a link to an original source.*
Last edited by bessie; 11-11-2015 at 03:12 PM.
11-11-2015, 03:23 PM #2
(snipped from a 2013 post by Aberline_1979)
Sequence of events.
- Friday 26 January (early Friday morning, Australia Day Public Holiday) 1996: Sarah Spiers, 18, disappears from the centre of Claremont (a posh suburb a few kilometres South-West of Perth, Western Australia). Last seen phoning for a taxi after leaving a nightclub very close to the Claremont Hotel (as it is now called). By the time the taxi arrive she was gone. Her body has not been found. She is obviously presumed to have been murdered.
- Sunday (early Sunday morning) 9 June 1996: Jane Rimmer, 23, is murdered. Last seen standing outside the Claremont Hotel (as it is now called). She had declined to share a taxi home with her friends a few minutes earlier. Her body was found in bushland near Woolcoot Road, Wellard, (South of Perth) in August 1996.
-Friday 14 March 1997: Ciara Glennon, a 27-year-old lawyer, is murdered. She leaves the Claremont Hotel earlier than her friends (at around 11PM) to catch a taxi home. Her body is found in bushland (North of Perth) three weeks later.
- Police have never revealed how the two women whose bodies were found were killed " for fear of jeopardizing their enquiries".
- Throughout 1997: thousands of Perth taxi drivers are DNA tested, and there is a huge amount of public awareness of this case due to news coverage. Women in the Perth area become especially careful travelling home at night. Depending on who you listen to, the police being watching several key suspects very VERY closely. This surveillance may or may not still be in operation today.
- 1997 - present: no more murders occur that are attributed to the Claremont Serial Killer.
- 2008: on the Australian TV show "Crime Investigation Australia", during an episode about the Claremont Serial Killer, police release 1996 CCTV footage taken from the Claremont Hotel. It shows the second victim, Jane Rimmer, standing outside the hotel shortly before she disappeared. A "mystery man" is seen to approach her, and she looks at him and smiles noticeably (as if she recognises him). The footage then cuts out as the security camera then switched to a different part of the Hotel. It switches back to outside (where Jane is still standing) a short time later. Jane is now seen standing and looking in the direction where the mystery man was walking. The camera switches away, and then back to the outside of the hotel once more. This time, however, Jane is gone.
- There is no proof at all that they "mystery man" is involved in her disappearance. However, to this day he remains the ONLY person outside the Hotel that night captured on CCTV that the police have been unable to identify. He is also the only person that Jane is seen to interact with (and is likely the last person she would have spoken to).
- The reason the police waited until 2008 to release the CCTV footage featuring the "mystery man" is because the original footage (1990s CCTV footage, shot at night) was of bad quality. NASA were asked to enhance it, but were unable to do so. A production company was able to do some kind of digital enhancement on it, but this apparently was not a great improvement.
Key suspects (source: Crime Investigation Australia, 2008).
Presumably, both these men are still under some level of surveillance to this day...
- Suspect #1: a known "sexual pervert". Kept gun underneath passenger seat of his car. Used to drive 'round Claremont on certain nights of the week. Was familiar with the areas of bush where Ciara Glennon's (third victim) body was found. Could not provide any alibis for the nights the women were murdered.
- Suspect #2: a well-educated Martial Artish from a wealthy English family (who was 34 years old in 1996/1997). Worked closely with Sarah Spiers (first victim) and hat met Jane Rimmer at least once. However, he told "blatant lies" about his familiarity with these women during his police interviews. Could not provide any alibis for the nights the women were murdered. Polygraph test results were "inconclusive".
- "Wildcard" suspect: UK murderer (and possible serial killer) Mark Dixie. Killed a woman in the UK (Sally Anne Bowman), in 2005, in similar circumstances to the Claremont murders. He lived in Claremont at the time of the murders, in fact they started shortly after he arrived and was hired as a chef. Moved out of the area (was fired) in 1997 and the murders ceased. He has been DNA tested by Western Australian Police, but the test results were presumably negative (or at least inconclusive).
Sources of information.
Crime Investigation Australia: The Claremont Murders (Part 1 of 4):
Crime Investigation Australia: The Claremont Murders (Part 2 of 4):
Crime Investigation Australia: The Claremont Murders (Part 3 of 4):
Crime Investigation Australia: The Claremont Murders (Part 4 of 4):
CCTV footage, featured on Criminal Investigation Australia, of "mystery man" suspect approaching Jane Rimmer (victim number 2):
Claremont serial murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11-11-2015, 03:25 PM #3
Links copied from my own 2012 post in Thread #1.
11-12-2015, 12:28 PM #4
Crime Stoppers Western Australia
SARAH ELLEN SPIERS
JANE LOUISE RIMMER
CIARA EILISH GLENNON
11-20-2015, 03:24 AM #5
Claremont Serial Killer: Media, Timelines, Photos *NO-DISCUSSION*
List of other Stirling Hwy. area assaults:
Article linking the 1994 Katrakatta rape to Ciara's murder:
Last edited by Sutton; 11-20-2015 at 04:02 AM. Reason: The assault list looks like it was copied and pasted, but no other source, author, publication or date is included
12-09-2015, 11:18 PM #6
AUGUST 28, 2008: Jane Rimmer video released too late, says detective
Read more: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/vide...-1111117340186
The CCTV footage of Jane Rimmer released by WA police this week should have been shown to the public “a long time ago”, according to a top detective who conducted a review of the Claremont serial killer investigation.
South Australian policeman Detective Superintendent Paul Schramm, who ran one of the major audits of the Macro Taskforce inquiry, has told the ABC that the controversial video was now outdated.
Det-Supt Schramm doubted the mystery man seen speaking to Ms Rimmer could be identified from the poor-quality vision, 12 years after the event.
12-09-2015, 11:21 PM #7
12-10-2015, 12:20 AM #8
12-10-2015, 06:29 AM #9
12-10-2015, 06:44 AM #10
December 5, 2015: Two new clues to serial killer - By BRET CHRISTIAN
Read more: http://postnewspapers.com.au/edition.../pdf/paper.pdf
Two new clues to the Claremont serial killer have been uncovered.
The man who terrorised the western suburbs in the mid-1990s drove a white mid-1990s Holden Commodore VS Series 1, most likely a station wagon, to abduct and murder at least two of his victims.
The killer also has some link to screen-printing, the manual process of printing coloured words and patterns on fabric such as T-shirts and other clothing.
12-10-2015, 07:21 AM #11
25 June, 2000: The Courage of our Convictions - The Claremont Serial Killer - (Click on 'show transcript')
Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...202#transcript
Several young Perth women have disappeared, and two bodies found dumped in the desert.
Stricken families and police want to try everything to get the killer...DNA tests on all taxi drivers, American style profiling, lie detectors, and finely judged leaks to the media - all to build the pressure.
It's the biggest murder hunt in our history - but what if it's not fair?
12-22-2015, 05:40 PM #12
12-22-2015, 10:43 PM #13
12-23-2015, 03:22 AM #14
CLAREMONT BREAKTHROUGH: Fourth serial killer victim - By BRET CHRISTIAN - POST, October 17, 2015 - Page 1.
Kidnapped teen in Claremont attack - By BRET CHRISTIAN - POST, November 14, 2015 - Page 1.
Is this a vital piece of evidence? - By BRET CHRISTIAN - POST, December 12, 2015 – Page 5.
Teen lured into Claremont car - By BRET CHRISTIAN - POST, December 22, 2015 - Page 1.
12-28-2015, 06:50 PM #15
"In this edited text of an hour-long Channel 7 interview, Lance Williams, questioned by Alison Fan, denies any knowledge of the Claremont killings." http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=G...ad8bcc641b1293
By December in forum Cold Case Media Links and Timeline ThreadsReplies: 36Last Post: 02-18-2016, 07:20 AM
By Aberline_1979 in forum Serial KillersReplies: 1245Last Post: 01-25-2016, 05:06 AM
By Aberline_1979 in forum Serial KillersReplies: 1202Last Post: 11-09-2015, 06:22 PM
By MistyM in forum Serial KillersReplies: 1021Last Post: 07-05-2015, 08:38 PM
By HMSHood in forum Serial KillersReplies: 2Last Post: 02-22-2014, 03:07 AM