Match! MI - Detroit, Male Torso UP14469, 18-99, race unknown, Sep'81 *Joe Burnic Hill*

Migmuu

Reaction score
This man is a recent addition to NamUs.

UP#14469

DEMOGRAPHICS
Race: Unsure
Sex: Male
Height and Weight: N/A
Postmortem Interval: Days

CIRCUMSTANCES
Unidentified male torso found at 1550 Harper Ave on 4/9/81

And that's... basically it. No hair color (or eye color, obviously), no distinctive marks, etc.

This almost looks too good a PM, but there aren't any rule-outs listed for the UID, so maybe it was overlooked. There's very little to go on physically, but the circumstances match up perfectly.

JOE HILL
Missing 1/9/81 from Detroit, MI

Postmortem interval (given only as "days") matches; Joe went missing only 3 days before the torso was found
Joe went missing from the same city the UID was found in
AFAIK he didn't have any scars, tattoos or distinctive marks on his torso, which would be consistent with this UID
Foul play is possible/suspected in Joe's case, which would (of course) match the UID

I'm going to call it in tomorrow. I tried calling a few minutes ago, but it's 5PM and the case manager probably went home by now.

Oh, good grief :( Will they have his DNA on file, do you think?

I was curious why the torso was in such bad shape that hair and race couldn't be determined, so I looked up the address. It's currently a Waste Management site and I suspect it was something similar in 1981. I don't know if that means it was a dump, recycling center, landfill, or whatnot, but something like that.

Incidentally, the Google search shows that another unidentified body was found in the same location in 1987.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-UP8272-16-25-Had-Recently-Given-Birth-Feb-87

ETA: in 1987, it was an incinerator dump yard.

I just wanted to share that Migmuu is correct. The remains have been verified and they are that of Joe Hill. Thank you for your work, you truly make a difference and have an impact.

God Bless

Not sure, I’m his daughter and our family is taking it really hard. I’m just looking for more clues as to why, who done it and how. We’re grieving again and yes 36 years later we are still grieving

I just got a message from Migmuu. The family of Joe Burnic Hill contacted Migmuu to thank him/her for making the connection. They saw Migmuu's post, and passed it on to LE, and because of that, they were able to make the match.

So though Migmuu never called in the tip, we can still call this a WS Match! because the WS post alerted Joe's family to the potential match, and consequently, it was confirmed.

Congrats, Migmuu

Thanks Carl and Owutangledweb.

I hope Detroit LE is able to catch up after all this time and bring whoever killed him to justice. Not just for Joe, but for his five kids who were forced to grow up without their dad and live with the question of what happened to him for 37 years. That should be criminal in itself. It's not the outcome anyone wished for, but I'm really glad I was able to help give them some answers.

Rest In Peace, Joe, and my best wishes to all your family and friends.

Vale Joe. Prayers of strength and comfort to you here2help. May your Joe and your family receive justice.

(And a big thank you to Migmuu for a job well done by resolving the ‘not knowing’ for a family by reuniting them with their loved one, even though it turned out to be a tragic resolution x)

For those that don't know the attached image is what a John Doe grave looks like. Only known by the following description until recently

Prayer Garden
Row 5
Space 350

It is now a named site and will soon have a headstone, no longer unknown.

Attachments

• GRAVE.jpg
    GRAVE.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I just got a message from Migmuu. The family of Joe Burnic Hill contacted Migmuu to thank him/her for making the connection. They saw Migmuu's post, and passed it on to LE, and because of that, they were able to make the match.

So though Migmuu never called in the tip, we can still call this a WS Match! because the WS post alerted Joe's family to the potential match, and consequently, it was confirmed.

Congrats, Migmuu
Never give up, Carl. I will admire you forever for the work you do on WS.

For those that don't know the attached image is what a John Doe grave looks like. Only known by the following description until recently

Prayer Garden
Row 5
Space 350

It is now a named site and will soon have a headstone, no longer unknown.

Oh, my stars, I am so very sorry for what your family has been through for so many decades now. I know the crime is still unsolved, and I wish it had a known perp. and justice for the living relatives and people who loved Mr. Joe B. Hill.

God bless you all, and give you peace in your hearts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back