769 users online (184 members and 585 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

CA - Michael Meyers, 25, Sierra Nevadas, 8 Nov 2015

Michael Meyers

UCLA graduate student reported missing
    "Michael Meyers, a UCLA graduate student in physics, was reported missing Sunday night. He was last known to be hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Catherine Meyers, Meyers’ mother, said her son planned to climb Mount Russell or Mount Whitney on Nov. 6. She added she reported his disappearance to the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department Sunday night, and contacted university police Monday.

Meyers, 25, was expected to return to UCLA for his studies Nov. 9. His family last heard from him Nov. 8, said David Meyers, the student’s father."

http://dailybruin.com/2015/11/17/ucl...orted-missing/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Meyers and his 2002 gray Dodge Durango, California license plates 7DIB540, remain missing. Catherine, his mother, is assuming Michael left for his hike from Whitney Portal. Inyo County Sheriff Bill Lutze indicates that local officers checked the Whitney Portal and Onion Valley trail heads for Meyer's vehicle w/o success.
    http://www.kibskbov.com/missing-pers...ichael-meyers/

Quote Originally Posted by Han View Post
    Inyo County Sheriff Bill Lutze indicates that local officers checked the Whitney Portal and Onion Valley trail heads for Meyer's vehicle w/o success.
    http://www.kibskbov.com/missing-pers...ichael-meyers/
    Only a few possible explanations here most obvious of which would be he was never in the area. Otherwise car stolen with or without him or he left the area but never made it home. Maybe that last one's most likely.

ETA: His car could be parked somewhere else I suppose; maybe those are the most likely options for the area he was visiting.
    Last edited by Han; 11-18-2015 at 03:23 AM.

He could be wrecked somewhere out of sight.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunnermt View Post
    He could be wrecked somewhere out of sight.
    That's a good suggestion and very plausible. Fortunately I feel sure there would already be searching the highways.
    David Meyers, his father, said he doesn’t think there is any reason to believe Meyers would intentionally disappear or cut off communications.
    It sounds like he typically stays in communication with his family.
    William Meyers, his brother, said Meyers has not been online on Facebook for nine days.
    “Michael and I talk every day on Facebook.
    I hope there's some good news soon.
    http://dailybruin.com/2015/11/17/ucl...orted-missing/

Michael was last heard from November 8 when he contacted his family and was supposed to return to UCLA November 9. It was a week before he was reported missing on November 15. Where could he be? Where is his car? it does begin to look as if a car off the road accident is most likely.

I still wish we would hear some sort of news.

One thing that bothers me about the information we're reading is the delay in reporting Michael missing. CM and DM waited a week after last hearing from Michael before reporting him missing. And it was two days later that his brother Will posted to (modsnip) that there was a search on for Michael. Michael was due back the ninth. If he is off the road somewhere his chances can't be good by now but he might have stood a chance if that this was reported earlier. maybe more of the story will come out as we go along.
    Last edited by Coldpizza; 11-19-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Not allowed to link to family FB

He was last reported gassing up and buying water and protein in Inyo County, about 200 miles north of Los Angeles, drove away in his 2002 Gray Dodge Durango, was last seen Nov. 4.

Last night, the vehicle was found abandoned around 4 p.m. on a side road near the entrance to the Mount Whitney trail.

His friend said the last time he saw Myers, the hiker was showing him where he was planning to go on his excursion to Mount Whitney in Inyo County. his friend said Myers showed him a live webcam site showing snowed-in, cloud-shrouded mountains. Myers reassured his friend he would be totally prepared when his friend said it looked dangerous.

After five days, his friend didn’t hear from Myers. "When I Skype him, and we're talking about physics, he usually replies immediately," his friend said.
    This time, he got no response.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...351607931.html

Mount Whitney Hiking Trails Pictures Maps

http://hikingohioparks.com/mount-whi...-pictures.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coldpizza View Post
    Mount Whitney Hiking Trails Pictures Maps

http://hikingohioparks.com/mount-whi...-pictures.html
    After reading this I've lost hope. If he is alive he would be in desperate need of medical treatment and evacuation. The situation doesn't make sense to me. I guess they couldn't find the car because it was on a side road rather than the regular parking area so they've lost time there too. If SAR find this guy alive he will be truly fortunate and hopefully will have learned something about how to park.
    Last edited by Han; 11-19-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: removed 'all' from hope

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
    MISSING UCLA GRAD STUDENT'S CAR FOUND IN INYO COUNTY

http://abc7.com/news/missing-ucla-gr...ounty/1091501/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Looking back it seems as if CM and DM reported that Michael was missing during a climb on Mount Whitney, not after. It has also been reported he was due back on campus for a conference November 9. But obviously since he contacted his parents on November 8 he had not yet begun his climb. Knowing that it seems reasonable that his parents waited a few days before reporting him missing. For instance, if the climb could take several days he wouldn't have returned until sometime during the week of November 8. It shows me how treacherous these situations can be and how narrow the window of opportunity if a problem arises.

Hoping to hear some real news about Michael.

It's not a good idea to hike in the mountains alone. Climbing one alone is foolish, I sure wouldn't attempt it. When I was a little younger I hiked a lot. I only hiked in the mountains alone one time, I had no choice. It was a rescue situation and I was lucky to make it out alive. If he was well prepared he could be alive, but I wouldn't bet on it. All we can do is hope and pray..

I'm under the impression from his Facebook site that Michael is comfortable climbing alone. He probably has a history of successes so his confidence level is high. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit of a risk taker either.

Those qualities don't necessarily combine well with responsible climbing. I'm hoping he gets lucky like you did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast