NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
21-year-old Maura Murray disappeared on Monday, February 9, 2004 following a minor 1-car accident on Route 112 near Woodsville, New Hampshire.
mauramurray.jpg

maura-murray.jpg

Previous threads:
#1#2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

Other links:

Maura Murray Missing - http://www.mauramurraymissing.com/

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/54/0/

Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murray_maura.html

What do you think are the chances Maura Murray is still alive? I've got it between slim and none.

I put it at closer to none as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my humble opinion I unfortunately think Maura is dead.

I think Maura was upset and felt like everything was spiraling out of control (possibly depressed). She planned on taking some time to herself to think about everything when she got in the car accident, tried to run away from the scene of the accident (possibility of being drunk or having a concussion which could impair judgement), and succumbed to the elements.
Just because her now skeletal remains haven't been found doesn't mean they aren't there.

It's just a shame that all of these unsubstantiated 'facts' or 'breakthroughs' have convoluted everything.

I've been following this case for a while and I do hope that her family does get closure.

Anyone still listening to the podcasts then, anything there of interest?

Anyone still listening to the podcasts then, anything there of interest?

It's pretty telling that in the last episode (number 17), the hosts confess that seeing the list of items found in Maura's car was the first time they were able to see her humanity - as though the hard-driving, judgmental home life and the subsequent coping through drinking and an out-of-control eating disorder that led her to crash cars and commit petty crimes that someone might notice weren't signs of a tender, desperate humanity crying out for support and love without condition.

Too many people see this case through the lens of story and character rather than basic human empathy. Guess these two are no exception.

My gut feeling is that she is dead. I believed for a while that *maybe* she ran away somewhere successfully but I think that was more down to wishful thinking on my part. Yes, there have been a few people who have run away and lived off the grid for a number of years without anyone recognising them, its true. But when a young, bright, distressed female goes missing the likelihood is they never come back. Usually that is because they physically can't return, not because they simply choose not to.
I hope I am wrong.

Maura used to do this sort of thing. She did take off without telling people where she was going at least once in her young life, so it's somewhat understandable how the idea that she might have done so permanently might have taken root. But if you just look at this girl as a person, with all of the issues she was dealing with and the obvious signals her acting out were telegraphing despite her highly secretive nature, it's so painfully obvious that Maura was not well at all, let alone sober and sophisticated enough to pull off anything even remotely close to some of scenarios people have put forth. When this case is finally solved, if indeed it ever is, there'll be a lot of tails between a lot of legs for ever thinking such absurd solutions possible while discarding everything that Maura's actions and behavior (not to mention the people who knew her best) have been saying all along.

I think Maura was upset and felt like everything was spiraling out of control (possibly depressed). She planned on taking some time to herself to think about everything when she got in the car accident, tried to run away from the scene of the accident (possibility of being drunk or having a concussion which could impair judgement), and succumbed to the elements.
Just because her now skeletal remains haven't been found doesn't mean they aren't there.

It's just a shame that all of these unsubstantiated 'facts' or 'breakthroughs' have convoluted everything.

I've been following this case for a while and I do hope that her family does get closure.

My feelings exactly.

I agree, Branny! I lived in the dorms when I was in college and it wasn't that uncommon for a student to have a melt down, pack up their things and leave campus. Some were gone for a week or so, some never returned. Twenty-one can be a tender age for some and not everyone is prepared to deal with the pressure and responsibility of college, a job, a boyfriend, alcohol etc. The only difference from Maura is ..they all made it safely to their destinations and Maura did not.

I think the most likely scenario is that Maura fled the scene of the accident to avoid a DUI. A DUI for a graduate nurse can be devastating. Some state nursing boards will not allow a graduate nurse to sit for their licensing exams until they go through rehab, plead their case to the board and then enter a lengthy monitoring program. Maura had been drinking that night and I can understand her impulse to flee the scene of her crash. Sadly IMO, she just didn't make it to a safe place that night.

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/quality/boards/good-moral-info.pdf

It's just too bad, especially for Maura's family, that people with an agenda want to turn Maura's story into something much more convoluted than it probably ever was in real life. 'She's dead and a sociopath ..no no.. she's a survivor and pregnant.' smh The fact that it took a list of Maura's belongings in her car to "personalize" this case for the Podcasters seems to indicate that this is more about selling an entertainment product than a true heartfelt quest to find answers for the Murray family. I hope I'm wrong but threatening emails in NH and a mysterious tweet with a penny? IDK It just seems so orchestrated and the Podcasters spend way too much time explaining themselves and talking about "trolls".

Poor Maura. I hope her family finds closure too.

All just MHO

IMO, if Maura fell victim to foul play I would imagine the perp to be a single male age 30-45 at the time, a local who lives alone in the general area, perhaps self employed or a job that requires frequent local travel like a plow driver, public works etc.

At the present time now this person could very well be in his 50s but regardless I guess what I'm trying to say is that I doubt anyone legitimately connected to her disappearing is out on YouTube or Twitter toying with us via cryptic clues.

If that is indeed the case I doubt someone involved is going to bring attention to it after all these years of silence...but who knows...

IMO, if Maura fell victim to foul play I would imagine the perp to be a single male age 30-45 at the time, a local who lives alone in the general area, perhaps self employed or a job that requires frequent local travel like a plow driver, public works etc.

At the present time now this person could very well be in his 50s but regardless I guess what I'm trying to say is that I doubt anyone legitimately connected to her disappearing is out on YouTube or Twitter toying with us via cryptic clues.

If that is indeed the case I doubt someone involved is going to bring attention to it after all these years of silence...but who knows...

I think she met with foul play too, but I've always thought she knew the perp because she got in a car with him/her. (I think him.) Do you think she trusted someone she didn't know who offered her a ride, or do you think she was taken?

And no, no one involved (certainly not the guilty party) is toying with the podcasters or bloggers. I think the podcasters read way too much into the photograph of a penny. Everyone knows what year Maura was born.

I just look at the percentages to try and figure out the likely outcome for her. By no means do I like where that leads - I would love to find out MM has been happily living in up in Montreal or the like in some kind of real life "Brady Brides" deal, with Brianna Maitland playing 'Jan'. But the site we're on proves how rare that is. A vast majority of the Missing don't reemerge from or get tracked down in secret post-disappearance lives.

There's a pretty well known psychological phenomenon associated around JFK's death, known as "endowing the killing with meaning" - it boils down to difficulty in accepting a nobody like Oswald could destroy a well-loved leader like Kennedy, which fuels thoughts there must have been a conspiracy. I'm not challenging anyone's views on that - it's just an example of the phenomenon. I think there's something similar in Missing Persons cases, because the inclination to believe (hope?) someone has fled rather than died appears pretty regularly. I believe it's a similar kind of thing.

It's still important to find her, whatever happened...poor kid.

There are so many 'details' about this case which can be obsessed over and theorised about, but ultimately I think it all boils down to Maura not being in a good state of mind at the time she took off. Her life was a mess and she didn't seem to be coping with it very well.

This led to her deciding to get away from it all (whether temporarily or permanently I don't know what I think).

She had an accident in her car, which for a person who already feels wrung out and up to her ears in problems, must have felt like yet another thing going wrong even when she had tried to escape.

I don't know exactly what I think happened next, but I feel that she acted on the spur of the moment when she was feeling despair. Maybe she killed herself. Maybe she just walked and walked (or ran) without any thought to where she may end up and died of exposure, falling and injuring herself or crossing paths with a bad person. Is there any dangerous wildlife in that area, which could have contributed to Maura's fate?

Either way, I feel strongly that she is deceased and not a million miles away from her last known location.

I think she met with foul play too, but I've always thought she knew the perp because she got in a car with him/her. (I think him.) Do you think she trusted someone she didn't know who offered her a ride, or do you think she was taken?

And no, no one involved (certainly not the guilty party) is toying with the podcasters or bloggers. I think the podcasters read way too much into the photograph of a penny. Everyone knows what year Maura was born.
People always act like there's no way she would have been forced into a car, but given her circumstances I think she would have willingly accepted a ride from anyone who offered.

Overall, I tend to think most people missing are usually deceased, just due to the sheer amount of times it has played out that way. There's no true way to gauge it, but voluntary disappearances seem to be somewhat rare in comparison.

I still think she walked away, either purposefully or not, and died alone in the woods. But she was also a victim waiting to happen, one who would have been easy for a predator to cull.

It would be great if Maura were alive but I cannot believe that as much as I wish to, not a jot sadly. As I am sure many of the people who have read about the case would agree, there are just too many coincidences possible red herrings and bad happenings to believe Maura is safe somewhere. Maura might perhaps have had enough in her car for us to consider she was running away somewhere (might this just as easy been a brief getaway though?) but something clearly happened and she left things behind that I do believe she would not have left behind of her own free will. The irony here is that Maura did take a quantity of alcohol instead, or someone did.

Any further news on the phone calls of Billy the boyfriend? The strange phone activity before Maura went missing seemed the most promising lead in a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail