799 users online (107 members and 692 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    I just look at the percentages to try and figure out the likely outcome for her. By no means do I like where that leads - I would love to find out MM has been happily living in up in Montreal or the like in some kind of real life "Brady Brides" deal, with Brianna Maitland playing 'Jan'. But the site we're on proves how rare that is. A vast majority of the Missing don't reemerge from or get tracked down in secret post-disappearance lives.

There's a pretty well known psychological phenomenon associated around JFK's death, known as "endowing the killing with meaning" - it boils down to difficulty in accepting a nobody like Oswald could destroy a well-loved leader like Kennedy, which fuels thoughts there must have been a conspiracy. I'm not challenging anyone's views on that - it's just an example of the phenomenon. I think there's something similar in Missing Persons cases, because the inclination to believe (hope?) someone has fled rather than died appears pretty regularly. I believe it's a similar kind of thing.

It's still important to find her, whatever happened...poor kid.

There are so many 'details' about this case which can be obsessed over and theorised about, but ultimately I think it all boils down to Maura not being in a good state of mind at the time she took off. Her life was a mess and she didn't seem to be coping with it very well.

This led to her deciding to get away from it all (whether temporarily or permanently I don't know what I think).

She had an accident in her car, which for a person who already feels wrung out and up to her ears in problems, must have felt like yet another thing going wrong even when she had tried to escape.

I don't know exactly what I think happened next, but I feel that she acted on the spur of the moment when she was feeling despair. Maybe she killed herself. Maybe she just walked and walked (or ran) without any thought to where she may end up and died of exposure, falling and injuring herself or crossing paths with a bad person. Is there any dangerous wildlife in that area, which could have contributed to Maura's fate?

Either way, I feel strongly that she is deceased and not a million miles away from her last known location.
    Last edited by shadowdancer; 11-20-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I think she met with foul play too, but I've always thought she knew the perp because she got in a car with him/her. (I think him.) Do you think she trusted someone she didn't know who offered her a ride, or do you think she was taken?

And no, no one involved (certainly not the guilty party) is toying with the podcasters or bloggers. I think the podcasters read way too much into the photograph of a penny. Everyone knows what year Maura was born.
    People always act like there's no way she would have been forced into a car, but given her circumstances I think she would have willingly accepted a ride from anyone who offered.

Overall, I tend to think most people missing are usually deceased, just due to the sheer amount of times it has played out that way. There's no true way to gauge it, but voluntary disappearances seem to be somewhat rare in comparison.

I still think she walked away, either purposefully or not, and died alone in the woods. But she was also a victim waiting to happen, one who would have been easy for a predator to cull.

It would be great if Maura were alive but I cannot believe that as much as I wish to, not a jot sadly. As I am sure many of the people who have read about the case would agree, there are just too many coincidences possible red herrings and bad happenings to believe Maura is safe somewhere. Maura might perhaps have had enough in her car for us to consider she was running away somewhere (might this just as easy been a brief getaway though?) but something clearly happened and she left things behind that I do believe she would not have left behind of her own free will. The irony here is that Maura did take a quantity of alcohol instead, or someone did.

Any further news on the phone calls of Billy the boyfriend? The strange phone activity before Maura went missing seemed the most promising lead in a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    People always act like there's no way she would have been forced into a car, but given her circumstances I think she would have willingly accepted a ride from anyone who offered.
    I agree, I feel that if we take Butch Atwood at his word then it is clear she did not want police responding. In fact she didn't seem to want anyone responding at the time hence Maura telling Atwood that she had called roadside recovery. It's clear to see why as well, Maura would almost certainly have received a DUI; red wine was spilt all over the interior of the car after all. In these circumstances wouldn't Murray be likely trying to stop any car to get a hitch out of the immediate area. And that I suppose is why the suspicious red truck sighting is so intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pettibon Junction View Post
    It's pretty telling that in the last episode (number 17), the hosts confess that seeing the list of items found in Maura's car was the first time they were able to see her humanity - as though the hard-driving, judgmental home life and the subsequent coping through drinking and an out-of-control eating disorder that led her to crash cars and commit petty crimes that someone might notice weren't signs of a tender, desperate humanity crying out for support and love without condition.

Too many people see this case through the lens of story and character rather than basic human empathy. Guess these two are no exception.
    I think some men get obsessed with this case in particular because Maura was pretty and blonde. They want to rescue her but also see her as an object. Human nature, I suppose.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
    I think some men get obsessed with this case in particular because Maura was pretty and blonde. They want to rescue her but also see her as an object. Human nature, I suppose.

MOO

Blonde?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She's fair-complected with light brown hair. In some photos, it looks like she has blonde highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by zelda_s View Post
    James Renner, on his blog, often says that people have reported sightings of Maura in Canada. What do you guys think?
    Quite honestly, I take what he says cautiously. I have been following his blog for years, and I feel there have been too many moments where he was "leading us on," so to speak.

As someone mentioned back in thread ten or eleven, he is selling a product. I often think he romanticises or adds dramatics to lure more people in. The good thing about that is, any attention is good attention. I won't pretend he doesn't deserve the credit for helping keep the heart beating on this case.
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph View Post

MOO

She's a brunette, dark brunette.
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Adore View Post
    Quite honestly, I take what he says cautiously. I have been following his blog for years, and I feel there have been too many moments where he was "leading us on," so to speak.

As someone mentioned back in thread ten or eleven, he is selling a product. I often think he romanticises or adds dramatics to lure more people in. The good thing about that is, any attention is good attention. I won't pretend he doesn't deserve the credit for helping keep the heart beating on this case.
    Respectfully, I disagree. While it's great that there's still so much passion and so many eyes on this disappearance nearly 12 years later, there are too many cases that never get solved due to some overzealous personality prone to sensationalism and investigative myopia latching onto a suspect or theory to the extent that it becomes impossible for anyone taking a fresh look at the evidence to consider it objectively. Incidentally, there are more than a few such cases right in the backyard of where Maura Murray vanished.

p.s.
    great username!
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge

Respectfully, I disagree. While it's great that there's still so much passion and so many eyes on this disappearance nearly 12 years later, there are too many cases that never get solved due to some overzealous personality prone to sensationalism and investigative myopia latching onto a suspect or theory to the extent that it becomes impossible for anyone taking a fresh look at the evidence to consider it objectively. Incidentally, there are more than a few such cases right in the backyard of where Maura Murray vanished.
    I will admit that I've gone back and forth on that exact sentiment, but then I wonder what the case would be like right now if he hasn't gotten involved. I just can't not cut him the credit I think he deserves in some aspect.

p.s.
    great username!
    Also, thank you. I love SP.

Let me also add he has made me so mad at certain points with what I feel like is a wild goose chase that I've taken periods of timeouts from reading his blog. It can be so frustrating to feel you are going somewhere with a discussion and then someone pops in and is like "What if a tiger ate her?"

His last stunt with saying he was going to reveal information, and then not, was no surprise to me. He then basically said he was not going to post anymore, and then did. That's just kind of been his pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Adore View Post
    I will admit that I've gone back and forth on that exact sentiment, but then I wonder what the case would be like right now if he hasn't gotten involved. I just can't not cut him the credit I think he deserves in some aspect.
    It'd still be alive, though probably not nearly as high-profile. As evidenced by Lizzi Marriott's murder, NH state police have a special interest when people from out of state go missing/get killed. With Maura's disappearance coming during the height of ski season and so close to Loon Mtn, I'm sure they'd have kept working her case.

However, I will say this: all of the "dirt" uncovered by Renner's investigation has done nothing to stoke my inner conspiracy theorist so much as confirm the intuitive empathy I felt for Maura immediately upon first hearing about this case. So I'd thank him for that, I suppose.
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge

Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast