1006 users online (174 members and 832 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1290
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    62
    The Glynn bros.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Reno, you're one of my favorite types on cases like this. You're very cut and dry and rational, and that's good. You need someone like that as a balance. As mentioned, I tend to agree with a lot of what you said, but still find some behavior strange (on behalf of the Murray's). I love entertaining and discussing others ideas as well because IMO it keeps the case alive and going.

    And yes, if you have rationales on the money, you should share!
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by armywife210 View Post
    Bill Rausch is from Ohio I believe. He'd graduated from West Point and was stationed at FT Sill OK at the time.
    However I don't know anything about his car buying, which was your question.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OT: I once ate Thanksgiving dinner in the Officer's Club at Fort Sill. Afterwards all the cousins sat on the cannon for our group picture.

    Still curious about Bill Rausch buying a car in Massachusetts, er um perhaps that was the track coach???


  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughing View Post
    OT: I once ate Thanksgiving dinner in the Officer's Club at Fort Sill. Afterwards all the cousins sat on the cannon for our group picture.

    Still curious about Bill Rausch buying a car in Massachusetts, er um perhaps that was the track coach???

    Been to the O Club many times. Mostly for Balls. We're at FT Sill now, well we live off post. This is our third time being stationed here, it will be (in June) a total of 11 years just at FT Sill. This was my husbands first duty station fresh out of West Point and we're back here on our third go round. We're probably PCSing again this summer.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by TessDeco View Post
    I appreciate your posts, Ricochet.

    BBM I don't understand what people want from Fred Murray either or why they choose to believe a blogger over Fred Murray's statements. Words and information too often get twisted and spun on the Internet, making it difficult to sort out the facts. For example, I've read more than once that Fred's house was condemned and ready to be foreclosed on. Now I read that Fred might not have even owned the house. Is there a reason to make Fred look bad? It's things like this that muddies the waters and makes this case seem so unnecessarily convoluted.

    The truth is ..we don't know what the police know. We don't know if someone came forward and said they saw Maura running down the highway that night or gave her a ride somewhere or if a friend from college told them why she took off from UMass. Or, maybe a resident reported some odd footprints they found in the snow on their property. Just because we don't know, doesn't mean it didn't happen. There's a reason the police aren't talking and why they won't release their reports. Unfortunately, unless Maura is found, we might not ever know much more than we do now. I think most who follow this case closely have good intentions so that shouldn't stop us from discussing it. I was just hoping the Podcast would focus on facts and dispel some of the rumors but that doesn't seem to be their agenda.

    I agree that Maura just needed some time away and that she most likely intended to return to school. I also think she might have fled from her car in the darkness to hide or met with foul play. I just don't see her having any reason to run off and start a secret life somewhere but who knows?

    All just MHO!
    It has never been about making Fred look bad for me. I believe he loves his daughter. But by withholding information, being not totally forthcoming and by banning people from talking about the case in his family, he sets himself up for suspicion (not that he did anything sinister, just that he will be questioned about his statements). As mentioned in previous threads, pretty much every family I've ever seen who's had a missing person in their family has been super honest and open and very involved with anyone who will listen. They want their story heard. They want to keep it alive.

    http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...carinza-speaks

    When even the police remark that you're acting strangely, I don't think it's fair to assume everyone is making him out to be a bad guy for no reason. He HAS acted strange. Remember the interview with his former son in law?

    Renner did a great job on this post:

    http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2015...swers.html?m=1

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRenner View Post
    This has never been verified and is probably just rumor.
    James, can you clarify the bankruptcy statements about Fred? Was that just a misunderstanding?

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    402
    I disagree (respectfully, of course) w. criticism of FM. That's not to say I don't think we should believe everything he says w.o question, but I think a lot of people have forgotten that FM owes us nothing. Someone wrote a great post earlier in the thread that discussed how FM has given an explanation for the 4000, he has given an explanation for the rag in the tail pipe, and that's all he needs to do (tbh he wouldn't even need to do that- he has no obligation to make any statement to the public). Whether we believe his statements or not is on us.

    My thoughts on what happened to MM have gone back and forth, but I've always been pretty firm in my belief FM appears unhelpful to the public because at this point he has a pretty good idea of what happened to MM, and where she is. He was the last person to spend significant time w. MM leading up to her disappearance, and they were close. I'll never forget a statement he gave where he describes her as "slumping into her dorm" and sniffling and crying in the car. I think he knew MM wasn't in a good state of mind, hence his immediate reaction to discovering her missing. He was the one who introduced the suicide angle (going up in the mountains to die like an old squaw) he was the one doing interviews w. BR telling MM to just come back, no matter what happened, an interesting statement to make if you believe she's been abducted. Then, he does a complete 180 and comes up with his local dirtbag theory. I think all he wants is to find MM's remains, and he knows the best way to keep LE on the case is by promoting the theory that there is a local dirtbag at large who is a danger to the community- allowing focus to remain in the area, where he believes MM is.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by stephsb View Post
    I disagree (respectfully, of course) w. criticism of FM. That's not to say I don't think we should believe everything he says w.o question, but I think a lot of people have forgotten that FM owes us nothing. Someone wrote a great post earlier in the thread that discussed how FM has given an explanation for the 4000, he has given an explanation for the rag in the tail pipe, and that's all he needs to do (tbh he wouldn't even need to do that- he has no obligation to make any statement to the public). Whether we believe his statements or not is on us.

    My thoughts on what happened to MM have gone back and forth, but I've always been pretty firm in my belief FM appears unhelpful to the public because at this point he has a pretty good idea of what happened to MM, and where she is. He was the last person to spend significant time w. MM leading up to her disappearance, and they were close. I'll never forget a statement he gave where he describes her as "slumping into her dorm" and sniffling and crying in the car. I think he knew MM wasn't in a good state of mind, hence his immediate reaction to discovering her missing. He was the one who introduced the suicide angle (going up in the mountains to die like an old squaw) he was the one doing interviews w. BR telling MM to just come back, no matter what happened, an interesting statement to make if you believe she's been abducted. Then, he does a complete 180 and comes up with his local dirtbag theory. I think all he wants is to find MM's remains, and he knows the best way to keep LE on the case is by promoting the theory that there is a local dirtbag at large who is a danger to the community- allowing focus to remain in the area, where he believes MM is.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, he doesn't necessarily owe us, but I think he owes law enforcement, and if you click the link I listed above, you'll see they've stated he hasn't been very forthcoming. When your child is missing, you say/do whatever you think will help or what LE says will help. I would tell them anything about my child that I think might help them understand where she was going. If they knew where she was going, maybe they could keep searching. Maybe she made it to her destination and then something sinister happened there. We may never know.

    Edit: I do appreciate your angle about the local dirtbag and stirring up interest. That could possibly be the case.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ava Adore; 12-02-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Adore View Post
    No, he doesn't necessarily owe us, but I think he owes law enforcement, and if you click the link I listed above, you'll see they've stated he hasn't been very forthcoming. When your child is missing, you say/do whatever you think will help or what LE says will help. I would tell them anything about my child that I think might help them understand where she was going. If they knew where she was going, maybe they could keep searching. Maybe she made it to her destination and then something sinister happened there. We may never know.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Or maybe he figured that if the police found out about her previous (and, I must stress this, MINOR) run-ins with the law and emotional problems, coupled with the fact that she went up to NH voluntarily, they'd treat her like a runaway and wouldn't put as much effort into finding her. Given that precious time was lost the night of the disappearance when law enforcement simply assumed Maura was off sobering up somewhere to avoid a DUI after her accident, this line of thinking is kind of understandable.
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    62
    I don't know about bankruptcy but Fred's name was on the Weymouth house as it fell into foreclosure.


  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Pettibon Junction View Post
    Or maybe he figured that if the police found out about her previous (and, I must stress this, MINOR) run-ins with the law and emotional problems, coupled with the fact that she went up to NH voluntarily, they'd treat her like a runaway and wouldn't put as much effort into finding her. Given that precious time was lost the night of the disappearance when law enforcement simply assumed Maura was off sobering up somewhere to avoid a DUI after her accident, this line of thinking is kind of understandable.
    If she had emotional problems, the police could be swayed to treat the case differently and still look for her. If there was even the slightest chance that he did actually believe that she was going to commit suicide (like his line about her naked in the mountains), he owed the truth even more so.

    But, even disregarding all that, I think at this point he could be more open and they wouldn't treat the case as a runaway.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    402
    At this point, I can see why LE would be frustrated and view FM as attempting to stonewall them by refusing to give any insight into why she may have been in NH and her state of mind/behavior prior to going missing, but I think his behavior can be explained. When he makes statements like "what she did is irrelevant, she's missing, find her" it leads me to believe he knows exactly why she was there, it was in fact the first thing he told police "she's come here to die like an old squaw" What is important to him is getting her body, and getting closure. In his mind, her actions prior to her disappearing ARE irrelevant- both of his theories, even though they are polar opposites of eachother (dying like a squaw v. local dirtbag) focus LE attention on the area around her crash- where he believes her body is. Of those theories, however, one of them will get more public attention than the other. I also believe that at this point, he is concerned primarily w. protecting her image, because at this point that is all he has.

    While some of FM's actions frustrate me, my sympathy for him usually outweighs my frustration. I have never seen him as the diabolical, manipulative liar some have made him out to be over the years. Losing a child is a hell I can't begin to imagine, but not knowing what happened to her, or what you could have done differently to prevent it, has to be one of the worst things that can happen to a parent.

    All just my opinion of course.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    351
    Besides, whoever writes the first book will always have the benefit of the doubt. Surely you've heard that Montague Druitt was Jack the Ripper, or Beth Short was killed by Arnold Smith on account of her infantile genitals? Or how about the CIA snuffing out Kennedy (both of them), and Arthur Leigh Allen being the Zodiac Killer (with a major crush on Dee Ferrin, no less)? The intervening years and good detective work has proven the bulk that stuff either blatantly false or dubious at best but it doesn't stop us from having to discuss them every time those particular cases are broached. Sadly, without a body or a confession, we'll be forced to similarly entertain the more outlandish claims made by Mr. Renner in his upcoming book.
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by stephsb View Post
    At this point, I can see why LE would be frustrated and view FM as attempting to stonewall them by refusing to give any insight into why she may have been in NH and her state of mind/behavior prior to going missing, but I think his behavior can be explained. When he makes statements like "what she did is irrelevant, she's missing, find her" it leads me to believe he knows exactly why she was there, it was in fact the first thing he told police "she's come here to die like an old squaw" What is important to him is getting her body, and getting closure. In his mind, her actions prior to her disappearing ARE irrelevant- both of his theories, even though they are polar opposites of eachother (dying like a squaw v. local dirtbag) focus LE attention on the area around her crash- where he believes her body is. Of those theories, however, one of them will get more public attention than the other. I also believe that at this point, he is concerned primarily w. protecting her image, because at this point that is all he has.

    While some of FM's actions frustrate me, my sympathy for him usually outweighs my frustration. I have never seen him as the diabolical, manipulative liar some have made him out to be over the years. Losing a child is a hell I can't begin to imagine, but not knowing what happened to her, or what you could have done differently to prevent it, has to be one of the worst things that can happen to a parent.

    All just my opinion of course.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is an excellent post/viewpoint. That is a spot I have really been stuck at, especially if you take into account the supposed first call he made to the police when he first found out about her being gone. I just feel that if this is the truth and he believes it, he shouldn't have gone on Disappeared and painted her differently, "...she was on the deans list. She was getting married." I feel like a father pleading for the help to find his daughter's remains would have invoked sympathy too. But what do I know? I have never lost a family member this way. I could be totally wrong.

    Great post.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by TessDeco View Post
    Hi Ava Adore,

    I was asking a general question in response to Ricochet's post and it was not aimed at anyone. I'm very sorry if I offended you. I'm really just trying to understand.

    Not here at WS but other places on the internet, some of the things written about Fred Murray seem kind of harsh. I don't know why Fred doesn't act like those other families. Maybe he's just an odd guy who doesn't trust the Internet and doesn't want strangers discussing his family. That's Fred's choice and his family and Maura's friends all seem to support him because none of them are talking either. They must have their reasons and IMO, it's unnecessary to insinuate that Fred and his family aren't looking for answers when maybe they just aren't doing it publicly. Fred doesn't seem any different to me than most of the other families in this Missing 2000 thread. They all are just waiting for something new to surface.

    IDK It's been almost 12 years now so maybe it's time to cut Fred some slack. None of us have walked in his shoes and like Fred himself said, he's a "subplot". I think all Fred wants now is to see the police file information so he has a new direction to search for his daughter. Whatever his reasons, he just doesn't care about engaging the Internet.

    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/a...aura-murray/4/

    This is all just my opinion and I completely respect that people see things differently from me. No one is right or wrong and we all get to decide what information we find relevant as we exchange ideas. Isn't that what WS is all about? Again, I apologize if anything I've said was offensive to you. That was never my intent. Thank you for the links!
    Hey, you didn't offend me at all? Seriously! I promise! Just thought I was chatting.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #11
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1144
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 05:57 PM
  2. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 8
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1227
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
  3. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7
    By Cubby in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 861
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM
  4. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 5
    By Timex in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1043
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
  5. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 3
    By CW in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 448
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 04:35 PM

Tags for this Thread