Burglary?

OriginalJerseyGirl

CERTIFIED FLYERS FANATIC!
Reaction score
For lack of little else to do on this forum at this point, I thought I'd start researching burglaries. When do they typically happen? What is typically taken? How often do they result in murder and in the case of murder, how often is that by stabbing? Etcetera. Feel free, of course, to join me in posting anything you find pertinent.

FBI - Crime in the US, 2002 - Crime Index Offenses Reported

Among those agencies that reported burglary statistics for all 12 months of 2002, the data showed that forcible entry burglaries accounted for 62.8 percent of the burglary offenses, unlawful entry comprised 30.8 percent, and attempted forcible entry accounted for approximately 6.5 percent.

The majority of burglaries, 65.8 percent, were residential, and the remaining 34.2 percent were of nonresidences, such as stores, offices, etc. A review of burglary data in which the time of the offense was known showed that most residential burglaries, 61.7 percent, occurred during daytime hours, and most nonresidential burglaries, 57.7 percent, occurred at night. The time of occurrence for 24.1 percent of burglaries was unknown.

Losses due to burglary totaled an estimated $3.3 billion in 2002, with an estimated average value of $1,549 per offense. Residential burglaries averaged $1,482 per offense, and nonresidental burglaries averaged $1,678 per offense.

Burglary Statistics for 2003

Victims collectively lost an estimated $3.5 billion as a result of burglaries in 2003 with an average dollar loss of $1,626 per incident.

Most burglaries (65.8 percent) occurred at residences; most residential burglaries (62.0 percent) occurred during the daytime.

Burglary Statistics (from a company trying to sell alarms - lot of good tips for keeping your home safer.)

A burglary takes place every 12 seconds and produces an average loss of $1,675 per event.1

This year, one in six homes will be burglarized.1 Burglars will spend no longer than 1 minute to break into a home.3

60% of residential burglaries occur during the daylight hours.1

Statistical Sources Courtesy of:1 FBI 1999 Uniform Crime Reports2 "Securing Home and Business" by Simon Hakim/Erwin Blackstone3 National Crime Prevention Council

North Carolina Crime Rates 1960 - 2000

The most recent year in this data is 2000. In that year, there were:

97,888 burglaries
560 murders

In the year 2000 North Carolina had an estimated population of 8,049,313 which ranked the state as having the 11th in population.

For that year the State of North Carolina had ... the 9th highest total Crime Index.

For Violent Crime North Carolina had ... the 18th highest occurrence for Violent Crime among the states.

For crimes against Property, the state had ... the state 8th highest.

Also in the year 2000 North Carolina had ... the 10th highest rate for Murder.

North Carolina’s 27.1 reported Forced Rapes per 100,000 people, ranked the state 34th highest.

For Robbery, per 100,000 people, North Carolina’s rate was ... the 12th highest for Robbery.

The state also had 307.0 Aggravated Assaults for every 100,000 people, which indexed the state as having the 22nd highest position for this crime among the states.

For every 100,000 people there were 1,216.1 Burglaries, which ranks North Carolina as having the 1st highest standing among the states.

Larceny - Theftwas reported 2,891.8 times per hundred thousand people in North Carolina which standing is the 13th highest among the states.

Vehicle Theft occurred 313.9 times per 100,000 people, which fixed the state as having the 28th highest for vehicle theft among the states.

:eek: Unconfirmed reports though have nothing of value missing from the house except items that would implicate Raven. :eek:

CITIZEN-TIMES.com: Statistics on crime rates mixed

North Carolina lowered its crime rate for the third year in a row during 2004, law enforcement agents said Tuesday...

Violent crime fell 1.7 percent, while property crime, which often increases during bad economic times, fell 3.1 percent, according to data collected by the State Bureau of Investigation.

The number of reported rapes increased in North Carolina by 7.5 percent. Sexual assault crimes are regularly underreported, according to advocacy groups and law enforcement, so increases in the number could reflect more accurate reporting as well as more assaults, Cooper said...

State investigators will expand their use of DNA technology to catch rapists, Cooper said. The technology generated 187 hits on the state’s DNA database. This compares to a total of 103 hits produced in the past 11 years.

Hits occur when DNA evidence found at a crime scene matches that taken from a convicted criminal.

(more at link)

golfmom said:
:eek: Unconfirmed reports though have nothing of value missing from the house except items that would implicate Raven. :eek:
Yes, the mysterious laptop burglar/murderer doesn't quite fit the statistics. The value of the laptop is far below the average value lost during a burglary. Maybe if the laptop burglar would have grabbed Janet's jewelry that was sitting out in the open, he would have fit in closer to the average.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Characteristics

Victim/offender relationship

Males were more likely to be violently victimized by a stranger, and females were more likely to be victimized by a friend, an acquaintance, or an intimate...

For murder victims, 43% were related to or acquainted with their assailants; 14% of victims were murdered by strangers, while 43% of victims had an unknown relationship to their murderer in 2002...

Intimate violence is primarily a crime against women -- in 1998, females were the victims in 72% of intimate murders and the victims of about 85% of nonlethal intimate violence...

Women age 16-24 experienced the highest per capita rates of intimate violence...

Time of occurrence

In 2003, while overall violent crimes were more likely to occur during the day than at the night, some crimes exhibited different patterns.

In 2003, 53% of incidents of violent crime occurred between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Almost two-thirds of rapes/sexual assaults occurred at night -- 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Place of occurrence

In 2003 about a quarter of incidents of violent crime occurred at or near the victim's home.

Weapon use
In 2003, 24% of the incidents of violent crime, a weapon was present.

Offenders had or used a weapon in 45% of all robberies, compared with 11% of all rapes/sexual assaults in 2003.

Homicides are most often committed with guns, especially handguns. In 2002, 51% of homicides were committed with handguns, 16% with other guns, 13% with knives, 5% with blunt objects, and 16% with other weapons.​

Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Characteristics

Home ownership

Property crime, regardless of the type, occurred more often to those living in rented property.

In 2003--
  • Households in rented property experienced 206, while those that are owned experienced 140 overall property crimes per 1,000 households.
  • Households living in rented property had about twice the rate of motor vehicle theft than those in owned property.

golfmom said:
Unconfirmed! As in speculation and rumor?

radar said:
Unconfirmed! As in speculation and rumor?
As in no media outlets have ever said anything is missing.
As in Rooster, a "friend" of Raven's said nothing about anything missing.
As in Raven isn't crying out saying something is missing (posessions missing? He'd be crying).
As in LE has said this is not random and public does not need to worry--wouldn't burglary probably be random and therefore public would have to worry?

Jenifred said:
As in no media outlets have ever said anything is missing.
As in Rooster, a "friend" of Raven's said nothing about anything missing.
As in Raven isn't crying out saying something is missing (posessions missing? He'd be crying).
As in LE has said this is not random and public does not need to worry--wouldn't burglary probably be random and therefore public would have to worry?
All this makes perfect sense to me, Jenifred.

I respect Radar's opinion, but wish he or she would provide factual documentation to support his or her opinions.

I can see Raven's defense lining up right now.

Someone broke into the house, burglar was in the process of stealing the laptop when Janet interrupted him so he killed her. Then Raven came home so burglar slipped outside. (dang burglar can't catch a break!)

I have some rebuttal to this but I thought I'd throw it out there for my friends to rebut.

edited cuz I used the wrong word...hopefully just one!

LTUlegal said:
I can see Raven's defense lining up right now.

Someone broke into the house, burglar was in the process of stealing the laptop when Janet interrupted him so he killed her. Then Raven came home so burglar slipped outside. (dang burglar can't catch a break!)

I have some rebuttal to this but I thought I'd throw it out there for my friends to rebut.

edited cuz I used the wrong word...hopefully just one!
Damn laptop must a been made of pure gold.:doh:

Going back to the discussion of the hard drive being copied, do you think that might help prove that it wasn't a burglary? Say, if the hard drive was copied within a week of Janet being murdered?

If there is something incriminating on the laptop but also something that Raven wanted to keep, he'd have to have done that before pitching the laptop and claiming it was a burglary. But on the other hand, I guess he could count himself lucky that he managed to copy it and then it got stolen. But of course, the hard drive would have to be in his posession--why would he give it away if this is the case?

:laugh:
BirdHunter said:
Damn laptop must a been made of pure gold.:doh:
No kidding. A burglary doesn't even seem likely:

1. NOT RANDOM crime. The murder wasn't considered random by LE and the public has no need to fear. How can LE make a public statement like that if it was a burglary.

2. The person robbing the house goes in the house in the evening (conveniently after raven has no autos or phones at the house and leaves it unlocked) to rob a laptop? Or if he is interrupted by Janet in robbing the house, he MURDERS instead of just running away.

3. The person wanting to rob the house ends up murdering AND then has time to: remove all fingerprints, smudges, footprints, and any other evidence of him being there, grab the murder weapon and the laptop and run out the backdoor....all of this when he hears raven coming in the unlocked door and all of this without raven hearing anything or seeing anything?

Oh, how stupid would the jury have to be to buy into any of this?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back