KY KY - Randy Rascoe, 44, Glasgow, 4 Nov 2015

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
The initial search began with the Green River Bluffs Trail, which begins in the national park's picnic area, on Thursday afternoon. That was when a car registered to Randy Rascoe, a Glasgow native, was found abandoned in the visitor center parking lot.

National park personnel then contacted Rascoe's family and learned he had been traveling and that his family had been looking for him.

Search teams have found no indication Rascoe was anywhere in the park, aside from his vehicle being found in the visitor center parking lot.

The last time Rascoe's family saw him was in mid-May, when his brother, Steven, and sister-in-law, Michelle, came down from Louisville to go fishing with him. Scott Rascoe talked to his brother, Randy, about a week earlier. “That was the last time any of us had talked to him,” Scott Rascoe said. “We know he was off from work then.”

On May 20, Steven Rascoe tried to contact Randy Rascoe for two to three days but couldn't reach him. That's when he decided to call his brother's work. “He worked for Bowling Green City, the Department of Public Works, and he didn't show back up for work,” Scott Rascoe said. “He had been on vacation, so they didn't know anything. So, then we filed a missing person's report a few days later after we kept trying to get a hold of his phone, and that was through the Bowling Green Police.”

What we can gather, he was in Lexington, in the Georgetown area, on Nov. 2-4. He had the oil changed and he stayed at a Hampton Inn in Georgetown. They said he checked out on Nov. 4 at 7 a.m. After that the last GPS was where his car was found here in the national park,” Steven Rascoe said.

The brothers said Randy Rascoe was known to visit the national park. “We have no indication that he left, because his vehicle was here and all of his belongings were in the vehicle. He has been traveling since May or June and basically, everything he owned was in the car,” said Scott Rascoe. A check of their brother's cell phone revealed that the only calls he made were to parks and to hotels.

It is not known if he is in the Park, or if he is elsewhere.

5652044360647.image.jpg

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/ne...cle_7bf1d028-9144-11e5-bb3b-6b3a7fad49bf.html

http://www.wbko.com/content/news/Missing-Person-at-Mammoth-Cave-National-Park-352960541.html

http://wcluradio.com/glasgow-man-missing-car-abandoned-at-mammoth-cave/

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/ne...cle_0d05a2ac-9081-11e5-862c-e7e93c46d485.html

http://www.edmonsonvoice.com/-news/search-for-missing-man-continues-at-mammoth-cave-park

............"On Saturday, November 21, the search was expanded with the help of volunteers from Hart County Rescue Squad, Butler County Rescue Squad, Edmonson County Search and Rescue, and Park staff. Edmonson County volunteers also used a search dog."

"Pat Prunty said the area that was being searched is what would seem to be a logical area near the visitor's center. "On Saturday, we wanted to concentrate on an area that was approximately 1150 acres," he said. "We received a wind advisory around 1:30 pm, and because of so much debris in the park, it was best if we postponed the search until conditions improved. There were only two small areas left to search within our designated area, probably about an hour's worth."

"Sheriff Shane Doyle said the sheriff's office has not been asked to join the search at this time. "We have no jurisdiction in Mammoth Cave National Park and we only respond to that area when we're requested to do so," he said. "We're readily available should our office receive a request for any type of assistance."

"Vickie Carson, Public Information Officer for the park, said the search had continued on Sunday morning. "Today, we have Edmonson County volunteers and park staff covering the remaining area as well as previously searched areas," she said. "Mr. Rascoe's family said he enjoys the outdoors and it's assumed he may have taken a trail here in the park." Carson also said there was no proof that Rascoe had been an actual visitor of the park, or that he'd purchased any type of tour. "

"Carson said the car was parked in an area where it would be difficult to notice that it had been there for an extended period of time. ".....................

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 102
......"Vickie Carson, Public Information Officer for the park, said the search had continued on Sunday morning. "Today, we have Edmonson County volunteers and park staff covering the remaining area as well as previously searched areas," she said. "Mr. Rascoe's family said he enjoys the outdoors and it's assumed he may have taken a trail here in the park." Carson also said there was no proof that Rascoe had been an actual visitor of the park, or that he'd purchased any type of tour. "........ http://www.edmonsonvoice.com/-news/s...moth-cave-park

--------------
We go to Mammoth Cave all the time and we seldom purchase tours. We just get on the trails. That may be what he did. JMO. Hope he didn't go into a cave (or fall into a sink hole) and get trapped. I have a couple of nephews who used to go exploring a cave on their property adjoining the Park. That always worried me. Those caves are dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and don't have a guide. But perhaps he just did fishing and hiking. Hope he is okay.

ETA: The Glasgow Daily News article in the first post above does state the following:

The brothers said Randy Rascoe was known to visit the national park.
“He came here regularly to hike and especially, to see the leaf change,” Steven Rascoe said."

---------------
The article also said they have been searching parts of the Green River.

JMO. As as far as possible dangerous wildlife goes, we do have coyotes and rattlesnakes
Not supposed to have any mountain lions, but there have been supposed sightings, although none verified. No bears that I've heard of except for a few sightings a couple years ago - one random one that came down into Cave City. None recently. I really doubt that he would have run into any problem with the wildlife. JMO. Could be wrong.

http://www.edmonsonvoice.com/-news/...nded-family-still-seeking-help-in-missing-man

SEARCH SUSPENDED

"A statement today from Mammoth Cave National Park gave an update on the search for Randy Rascoe. It said:

Monday, November 23: we do not have any searchers in the field today. Park staff are reviewing the search plan and the areas that have been searched. We have requested assistance from the Civil Air Patrol, and are following up on information about Randy Rascoe's last whereabouts. "........

Kentucky has caves everywhere. I'm glad now that they do. With all the violence posted in the last two weeks, I'm glad. You never know when you might need one, and there's several around my house.

This is just a small insert from the Mammoth Cave National Park Map provided by nps.gov
http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm

They have been searching the top Green River Bluffs Trail since they found his car in the Visitor Center Parking Lot closer to the picnic area. That would make sense. Usually, when we visit, we park in the hotel parking lot and either start out on the boardwalk to Sunset Point and then take a trail or we take the stairs down to the Mammoth Cave entrance and pick up a trail from there such as the River Styx trail. He could, however, have gone into the Visitor Center, then walked out the other entrance and gone down to the trails near the cave entrance because we have done that too. Logically, though, the first place you would search would be where they did. There are a lot more trails than shown in this insert. But to get to them, he would have had to walk miles and/or cross the river as there are many trails on the other side of the river also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 82
No news at all that I have been able to find......I took a quick drive through the park but saw no activity. Actually I hardly saw any people at all today and absolutely no wildlife out. Not even a squirrel. I usually at least see squirrels, deer, and wild turkeys.

Guess there wouldn't be any searching done on Sunday anyway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back