GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/u...in-death-of-black-teenager-official-says.html

CHICAGO — Chicago officials released on Tuesday a chilling dashcam video of the fatal shooting of a black 17-year-old, just hours after a white police officer was charged with first-degree murder in the encounter.

The video was released during a late afternoon news conference, fulfilling ajudge’s order that it be made public.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel acknowledged that the video would make some residents angry, but said it was a time for healing. “It is now the time to come together as one city, show respect for one another,” Mr. Emanuel said. The video was not immediatedly viewable because it first needed to be downloaded.

Earlier Tuesday, Anita Alvarez, the Cook County state’s attorney, charged the officer, Jason Van Dyke, in the death of the teenager, Laquan McDonald, who was shot 16 times on Oct. 20, 2014.

The video is VERY DISTURBING.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laquan-mcdonald-video-chicago-shooting_5653df02e4b0879a5b0c44ab

An officer kicks an object away from his body. More officers arrive but none attempt aid.

I can't believe how long he was left lying there.

So this murder occurred over a year ago and the officer is just NOW facing criminal charges as a result of the video being released to the public ONLY AFTER a journalist filed/won a lawsuit - CPD really wanted to sweep this one under the rug didn't they? Thanks to the perserverance of the journalist, truth comes to light.

"Without Laquan’s family bringing a civil suit, the City of Chicago immediately handed over a $5 million settlement and agressively fought to keep the video of the shooting under lock and key. Activists have been calling for the video to be released for the past 13 months, in great part because the attorney for the family made it abundantly clear that what was on the video was so heinous, so egregious, that he called it “an execution.”"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-chicago-jason-van-dyke-murder-charge-late-article-1.2445194

So this murder occurred over a year ago and the officer is just NOW facing criminal charges as a result of the video being released to the public ONLY AFTER a journalist filed/won a lawsuit - CPD really wanted to sweep this one under the rug didn't they? Thanks to the perserverance of the journalist, truth comes to light.

The family also didn't want it released.

McDonald's family did not want the video released, but a freelance journalist filed a Freedom of Information Act request. The family released a statement, "This is a difficult time for us. As we have said in the past, while we would prefer that the video not be released we understand that a court has ordered otherwise. . . "

http://abc7chicago.com/news/cpd-dash-cam-video-shows-police-shooting-laquan-mcdonald/1098065/

[video=twitter;669327834150805504]https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/669327834150805504[/video]

SMH.

That's all I can say, about all of it. About the shooting (no reason to shoot him that many times, even the first one is debatable), the city paying the family off, the protesters getting violent. Just SMH. There is nothing good in this case.

16 times? Really? I can't get past that, and the physical distance between the two. I'm sure he will try to say he thought the knife could have been a gun, or maybe say he thought Laquan had a gun as well as a knife but I'm not seeing how 16 shots are necessary, especially when any "threat" the officer allegedly felt was neutralized after the first shot when Laquan was on the ground and not moving towards him in any way, shape, or form. Sad case to say the least

"Without Laquan’s family bringing a civil suit, the City of Chicago immediately handed over a $5 million settlement and agressively fought to keep the video of the shooting under lock and key. Activists have been calling for the video to be released for the past 13 months, in great part because the attorney for the family made it abundantly clear that what was on the video was so heinous, so egregious, that he called it “an execution.”"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...van-dyke-murder-charge-late-article-1.2445194

The victims family did not want the video released.

Laquan McDonald’s family does not want police shooting video released

http://wgntv.com/2015/11/20/laquan-mcdonalds-family-does-not-want-police-shooting-video-released/

What they said in 2014:

"Officers remained in their car and followed McDonald as he walked south on Pulaski Road. More officers arrived and police tried to box the teen in with two squad cars, Camden said. McDonald punctured one of the squad car's front passenger-side tires and damaged the front windshield, police and Camden said.

Officers got out of their car and began approaching McDonald, again telling him to drop the knife, Camden said. The boy allegedly lunged at police, and one of the officers opened fire."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-shootings-violence-20141021-story.html

There has been an on going investigation and whether or not charges were going to be filed before or after the video's release isn't as important to me than to ensure a complete investigation because as was stated in the presser, they only get one shot at a guilty verdict. Better to be safe than sorry. People who want to complain, are going to complain, no matter what the authorities do. There is still an ongoing federal investigation and who knows how the release of this video -now- before the feds investigation is complete will affect their investigation and potential charges.

That said, the video is horrifying. My first thoughts were sadly that Laquan looked like an animal that had just been shot. He was treated like an animal and it sickens me. I couldn't help but think he looks like a deer that just got shot down by a hunter. This officer hunted him down like an animal and should face the consequences to the full extent of the law.

It makes me wonder how we can wean these rogue cops before it gets to this. A good point was made during the presser. These LEO's are not employee's at will like most employee's in Illinois. There is a police union and it is really hard to get rid of these crappy cops.

The timing of the charges sure are convenient. :innocent: Kudos to the journalist who long pushed for the release of the video. Disgusting.

Looks like we have a very bad egg in this Van Dyke officer.
Did McDonald actually slash a squad cars' tire ? Or was that a fabrication ?
Otherwise, you cannot gun down a person for jaywalking, and carrying a knife is not against the law.

Very sad life and tragic death for this teen !

If law enforcement want us to respect them, they need to be very transparent in what they do, and tell the public everything as soon as it happens.

And any time there's a cover up, there's going to be trouble ; why wouldn't there be ?
More openness is desperately needed right now !

And LE has already had enough trouble lately.

I'm hoping there won't be riots and loss of business. :( That solves nothing.
Does anyone think this will be a repeat of Ferguson ?
:moo:

Let me preface what I'm about tto say with this is a horrific crime caused by a bad police officer. It IS muder. It's horrible and I'm glad he's beinng charged, BUT....

Where is the outrage of the overall violence going on chicago? The murder ratte there is ridiculous. Why aren'tt there protests over that? There are childred beig killed in drive bys but no one cares until a white cop kills a black teen. I just don't unnderstad that at all. Our country is goig to hell in a hanndbasket and all we focus on are the small percetage of cops killing innocents rather than the innocennts getting killed every day by criminals in the streets. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back