2005.09.21 Emergency Landing jetBlue flight

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Right now there's an emergency landing procedure going forth in California. It's a jetBlue flight from Burbank to New York, with 140 passengers on board.

There was difficulty when retracting the front nose gear upon take off. A low fly pass at Long Beach airport revealed the front gear is down and locked but at a 90 degree angle. It's said that on impact of landing, the gear may buckle and break off. They're talking about a soft field landing (to keep the nose up).
It's not clear which airport they're going to land. (talking about Long Beach possibly)

The plane just finished dumping their fuel into the Pacific Ocean.

Hold your breath and pray.

fran

Anyone watching? Please pray - there are 145 people aboard.
Landing gear is twisted, plane duming fuel to prepare for emergency landing.

closing - see other thread. :D

Is trying to make a "soft Landing" has dumped fuel and is circling for emergency landing in Burbank

Per Fox News live

Thanks for giving us the heads up!Prayers for a successful landing& the safety of crew & passengers. Keep us posted. I'll check Nor Cal news.

Fran posted first! Wow, this is scary -keep us posted

That's the company that used to be called ValuJet, if I remember right. Lord please be with them for a safe landing.

This is incredible. Thanks for the heads up Fran.

Thanks Tybee,

I've never heard of Jetblue. Is that a regular airline co? I just saw it flying on TV and it looks huge - kind of a round fat body.
circle

Hope it makes it down safely. Hard to imagine dumping a whole tank of fuel. Think he dumped it in the ocean?

Questions, Questions LOL
Scandi

Looks like they are going to go for LAX

scandi said:
Thanks Tybee,

I've never heard of Jetblue. Is that a regular airline co? I just saw it flying on TV and it looks huge - kind of a round fat body.
circle

Hope it makes it down safely. Hard to imagine dumping a whole tank of fuel. Think he dumped it in the ocean?

Questions, Questions LOL
Scandi
Hi Scandi..jetBlue is a no frills airline probably new in the the last 10 to 15 years or so I'm guessing?

JBean said:
Looks like they are going to go for LAX

That's what it looks like jelly. LAX is most equipped for emergency landings.

JMHO
fran

scandi said:
Thanks Tybee,

circle

Questions, Questions LOL
Scandi
scandi, that's SOP for any airliner that is in trouble, along the coast. Keep me tuned in.

They're confused, on the local news, on whether they've been able to dump their fuel or not. :snooty: ........Oh, they're thinking this airplane doesn't have the dumping capability.

That would be alot of fuel to land with in an emergency. Enough to go to New York.

fran

Paul and I saw a jet dumping fuel a few weeks ago - it was having an emergency landing during the Air Show (military jet) it looked like a large stream of mist from both wings and then it looked like streaky rain falling - it all dissipated/disappeared in the atmosphere before it got anywhere near the ground.

Prayers for everyone on Jetblue

Buzzm1 said:
scandi, that's SOP for any airliner that is in trouble, along the coast. Keep me tuned in.
Shepard Smith just said he doesn't think they can dump fuel because it's an airbus. It also sounds like they are still undecided as to which airport

says they cannot dump it and they are flying around to burn it off.

A guy who is the head of the pilot's assoc. or something, said this is very uncommon problem. They actually have capability inside the plane to turn this gear manually, but it seems it isn't working. Earlier they said it was locked in place.

jetBlue just started flying out of Burbank in March of this year.

JMHO
fran

PS....I can't keep this straight. First they say Burbank, now they're saying their West Coast hub for jetBlue is Long beach. But, they took off from Burbank.

DUMPING FUEL, airbus 8320 doesn't have capability to dump so they're flying off the coast of Long Beach to burn off fuel. This could take a very long time. fran.......... :rolleyes:

JBean said:
Shepard Smith just said he doesn't think they can dump fuel because it's an airbus. It also sounds like they are still undecided as to which airport
I only hear about the onnes that dump fuel--it has happened numerous times out of San Francisco. One fairly recently was a flight to China, and they had to come back right after they took off; they dumped all of that fuel over the ocean before cioming back in for a landing.

Should land just fine...high probability.

JetBlue has great maintenance records and safety records.

Buzzm1 said:
I only hear about the onnes that dump fuel--it has happened numerous times out of San Francisco. One fairly recently was a flight to China, and they had to come back right after they took off; they dumped all of that fuel over the ocean before cioming back in for a landing.
That makes sense to me Buzz..I'm just reporting what Shepard Smith said. he made it sound as though he hd just confrimed that? and that they were flying to burn it off. But I think MsNBC is reporting that they have already dumped it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back