The word "hurt" in media reports

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
I know many posters have questioned why RA would tell LE that his wife was "hurt." It seems like an odd choice of words given the situation. I realized the other day when I was rereading threads and initial media coverage of Janet's murder that, that it was a reporter who used the word "hurt," not RA.There is no direct quote from RA using the word "hurt." It was a word the reporter chose to use. Here is the article:

Search Warrant Reveals Details In Stabbing Of Durham Woman, May 3, 2005:
http://www.wral.com/news/4443707/detail.html

Note that in another article, a different reporter uses the word "injured."

Woman's Body Found in Home, April 28, 2005:
http://newsobserver.com/news/story/...p-8731092c.html

Point being that even a single word can "spin" a story in one direction or another, causing lots of confusion and speculation.

Hoppy

Hoppy,

The one article is talking about what raven stated to LE at the scene "hurt" and the other article is talking about what the 911 caller stated "injured"....(supposedly from a gunshot??)

It was also stated on Greta (Fox News) that raven told arriving LE that his wife was upstairs hurt.

I agree, one word can spin a story but this particular choice of word seems relevant IF raven claimed he tried to give his wife CPR but she was already dead or didn't try to give his wife CPR because she was already dead. Either way, you wouldn't say your wife was upstairs hurt.

Now, if raven wants to state he didn't tell LE that she was hurt, he stated something else, by all means, he can and should. But he has not publically made it known that he was misquoted and neither him nor any of his supporters have made any real noise about him being innocent.

"Officer Williams advised this investigator that when he arrived at the scene, he spoke with a
Mr. Raven Abaroa, who advised that
his wife was upstairs, and that she was hurt."

Quote is direct from the application for search warrant. In this case, the reporter did not make up the language, but used what LE had provided to the judge to secure a search warrant.

In my opinion this sounds like a detail that Raven would give out to support the propaganda he spins to those around him. 1. The police are wrong; 2. the ME report is incorrect; 3. The media got it wrong; 4. WS lies. (we all have no lives and make things up ... blah, blah, blah)

But don't forget, he's a convicted FELON (not misdemeanor) and just because he says it doesn't make it so. I mean we know for a fact that Janet didn't commit suicide.

Raven, Can you here us now? Oh that's right, you can't...

Maybe you can peddle your way backwards far enough to remember the truth.

I myself didn't realize being a convicted Felon causes short-term memory loss.

ewwwinteresting said:
I agree, one word can spin a story but this particular choice of word seems relevant IF raven claimed he tried to give his wife CPR but she was already dead or didn't try to give his wife CPR because she was already dead. Either way, you wouldn't say your wife was upstairs hurt.

EI, interesting observation, the statement that he thought Janet was hurt, destroys his ability to say that he knew she was dead when he arrived home. Wee-bit of a catch-22 here when you're spinning to mitigate the damage of TOD.

So which was it ... did he bravely try to save his dying wife and desire to give her a priest's blessing? or did he realize he couldn't save her and called 9-1-1? Using the word *hurt* hurts Raven's story now and he needs to distance himself from it ... fast.

golfmom said:
"Officer Williams advised this investigator that when he arrived at the scene, he spoke with a

Mr. Raven Abaroa, who advised that​

I was just about to post this when I saw that you had already done so. Again - so there are no misunderstandings - the application for the search warrant contains a statement from the investigator on the scene, and he states that the first officer on the scene relayed to him that he was told by Raven that his wife was upstairs hurt. Not just a media report.​

ETA: Here's the link:​

hoppyfrog said:
Point being that even a single word can "spin" a story in one direction or another, causing lots of confusion and speculation.

Hoppy

Point being that Raven is busy "spinning" his story. Multiple versions have been leaked, causing me to laugh my a$$ off at his lame attempts at damage control.

Maybe Raven knew best when he made the decision to not speak out. From the little bits that are leaked here and there, he contradicts himself constantly. He must know that his own words would catch him if he spoke out publicly.

No matter, it seems that his own words are beginning to catch him anyway. Just because you don't say it to the media doesn't mean it isn't heard. And it certainly doesn't mean that there aren't people keeping track.

JerseyGirl said:
Maybe Raven knew best when he made the decision to not speak out. From the little bits that are leaked here and there, he contradicts himself constantly. He must know that his own words would catch him if he spoke out publicly.

No matter, it seems that his own words are beginning to catch him anyway. Just because you don't say it to the media doesn't mean it isn't heard. And it certainly doesn't mean that there aren't people keeping track.
It's almost as if when he choses to speak, he sounds like an idiot

Janet committed suicide
I tried CPR
I didn't try CPR
ME Report is wrong
LE doesn't know what they are doing
Feel sorry for me and send me money
Kaiden looks good

etc etc etc

and when he choses not to speak, he sounds guilty.

No memorial for Janet
No reward to find the murderer
No public outcry to find her murderer
No public outcry that he is innocent
No family or friends defending him
No comment about losing his unborn child

etc etc etc

You would think he would be smarter than that and pick the appropriate times to speak out.

ewwwinteresting said:
It's almost as if when he choses to speak, he sounds like an idiot

Janet committed suicide
I tried CPR
I didn't try CPR
ME Report is wrong
LE doesn't know what they are doing
Feel sorry for me and send me money
Kaiden looks good

etc etc etc

and when he choses not to speak, he sounds guilty.

No memorial for Janet
No reward to find the murderer
No public outcry to find her murderer
No public outcry that he is innocent
No family or friends defending him
No comment about losing his unborn child

etc etc etc

You would think he would be smarter than that and pick the appropriate times to speak out.
You would think.

I think his little plan is falling apart.

I wish there was some way we could know if there was a life insurance policy.

If one existed, there's Raven's motive.

Moxie said:
You would think.

I think his little plan is falling apart.

I wish there was some way we could know if there was a life insurance policy.

If one existed, there's Raven's motive.
He would have to provide his social security number to collect the life insurance policy so I would HOPE LE is tracking his finances and the existance of a life insurance policy would show up on the records.

I'm sure that LE knows if there is a life insurance policy, and if so, whether or not Raven tried to collect on it (and when he tried).

I can't help but think that the pregnancy was the motive but you have a point with the life insurance, Moxie. I wonder if there was a double motive, (or triple motive or quadruple motive ...). Or perhaps Janet said "No way am I going to drag another child into this mess ... we're leaving you." Or perhaps Raven figured that if he waited too long, he'd have to split the insurance three ways instead of two, or maybe even be removed as the beneficiary altogether.

No matter what the situation, I am sick about this and I am sick of knowing that the perp is out there enjoying his life. It's time for the that took Janet to start to feel the consequences of what he's done.

ewwwinteresting said:
Hoppy,

The one article is talking about what raven stated to LE at the scene "hurt" and the other article is talking about what the 911 caller stated "injured"....(supposedly from a gunshot??)

It was also stated on Greta (Fox News) that raven told arriving LE that his wife was upstairs hurt.
Exactly my point: the one article, the other article, Greta's show (I'll take your word on that since I didn't see it), and the search warrant.....they are all other people's words, not Raven's. None of them are direct quotes. I sure wish an astute reporter would have pinned down LE about Raven's choice of words.

Hoppy

golfmom said:

Mr. Raven Abaroa, who advised that

Quote is direct from the application for search warrant. In this case, the reporter did not make up the language, but used what LE had provided to the judge to secure a search warrant.
Just because that's the wording on the search warrant still doesn't mean it's a direct quote from RA. I can easily imagine RA telling LE something like, "I went in there and there was blood all over. She had cuts and wounds on her hands and neck." And I can easily see that being shortened to "hurt" in the application for the search warrant. I mean, LE wants to get that warrant ASAP and get the search underway.

Hey, maybe in the end it will turn out to be a direct quote, but right now there's no evidence of that. Maybe I'm just more skeptical than others.

Hoppy

hoppyfrog said:
Exactly my point: the one article, the other article, Greta's show (I'll take your word on that since I didn't see it), and the search warrant.....they are all other people's words, not Raven's. None of them are direct quotes. I sure wish an astute reporter would have pinned down LE about Raven's choice of words.

Hoppy
Hoppy,

Think you missed the point. It was claimed that raven said injured on the 911 call and quoted that raven said hurt when LE arrived. Therefore, since we haven't heard the 911 call, we cannot for sure state whether raven said injured or not. However, we've seen the statement from LE where raven is quoted as saying his wife was upstairs hurt. This IS raven's word, not a reporter's.

ewwwinteresting said:
Hoppy,

Think you missed the point. It was claimed that raven said injured on the 911 call and quoted that raven said hurt when LE arrived. Therefore, since we haven't heard the 911 call, we cannot for sure state whether raven said injured or not. However, we've seen the statement from LE where raven is quoted as saying his wife was upstairs hurt. This IS raven's word, not a reporter's.
Nope, didn't miss anything. The application for the search warrant doesn't indicate that it is a direct quote. Period.

Hoppy

hoppyfrog said:
Just because that's the wording on the search warrant still doesn't mean it's a direct quote from RA. I can easily imagine RA telling LE something like, "I went in there and there was blood all over. She had cuts and wounds on her hands and neck." And I can easily see that being shortened to "hurt" in the application for the search warrant. I mean, LE wants to get that warrant ASAP and get the search underway.

Hey, maybe in the end it will turn out to be a direct quote, but right now there's no evidence of that. Maybe I'm just more skeptical than others.

Hoppy
Raven stated he found her on her knees. LE arrived and found her on her back? Do you believe raven moved her? If so, do you believe raven tried to save her or just ran out of the room after he moved her? Would raven have known she was dead? If not, why wouldn't he try CPR? If so, why would he say hurt or imply hurt if she was obviously dead? Please be as skeptical as you want, I'm interested in your opinion on my questions (which, sorry, seem to be many!)

hoppyfrog said:
Just because that's the wording on the search warrant still doesn't mean it's a direct quote from RA.
I can see giving someone the benefit of the doubt or waiting for physical evidence before making a judgement on guilt. However, to imply that the search warrant may have misquoted Raven or that the statement was the officer's translation of Raven's statement, IMO, is bordering on explaining away important details for the sake of your argument.

I truly admire your search for the truth through facts, and your caution in reaching a decision in your mind without "proven" facts. I think that some of the things that we've discussed ARE questionable. IMO, however, the search warrant application is very straight-forward, and is not something that is thrown together haphazardly in order to get the search started quickly. I believe that the language in the document is as accurate as the investigators can make it, and that they are accountable for the words that they choose to use in those documents.

ewwwinteresting said:
Raven stated he found her on her knees. LE arrived and found her on her back? Do you believe raven moved her? If so, do you believe raven tried to save her or just ran out of the room after he moved her? Would raven have known she was dead? If not, why wouldn't he try CPR? If so, why would he say hurt or imply hurt if she was obviously dead? Please be as skeptical as you want, I'm interested in your opinion on my questions (which, sorry, seem to be many!)
Hey, no need to apologize for questions! There are waaaay to many in this case.

I find it believeable that RA found her on her knees. (I know that seems odd, but it's surely not the oddest thing that ever happened in a crime. I also believe it's possible that JA took that position when she had cramps. If that's what worked to give her relief, I find it believeable. I don't know if either RA or JA knew she was pregnant. But it's certainly possible that neither of them knew or RA didn't know, thus making RA think that she was kneeling to relieve cramps.)

Yes, I believe that LE found her on her back and I believe that RA moved her from her knees to her back.

I have no idea whatsoever about whether or not RA tried to save her. No clue. If he's NOT the murderer, it's unimaginable that he didn't try. If he IS the killer, maybe he tried and maybe he didn't. Can't say.

Why wouldn't he try CPR? 1. Because he's the killer and wanted her to die. 2. Because he didn't know how. 3. Because he was too panicked. 4. Because first aid protocol says to check the victim, then call for help, THEN start CPR. 5. Because she was dead and he knew it wouldn't help. All pure speculation.

"If so, why would he say hurt or imply hurt if she was obviously dead?"

I don't know that he did say hurt or imply hurt. Those are others' words, not his.

Hoppy

hoppyfrog said:
I don't know if either RA or JA knew she was pregnant. But it's certainly possible that neither of them knew or RA didn't know, thus making RA think that she was kneeling to relieve cramps.)
On the floor of the unlit office, fully clothed, at 10:30 at night? :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back