OR - Missing/Murdered along the I-5 Corridor

Auggie21

Reaction score
Doing some other research, I recently became VERY aware of the number of missing women from Oregon who disapeared from towns around the I-5 corridor, including 8 since 1978 from Eugene (or within 10 miles of Eugene).

Many of the cases seem to share similarities, and it's clear that not all of them could be related to the Green River Killer (some too early, some too late, only one suspected of engaging in prostitution).

I hope some of you have done more reserach on this and can offer your thoughts.

Here are the cases I've found.

Benita Chamberlin (1761DFOR) missing February 23, 1978, Eugene, OR
Irin Meyer (1359DFOR) missing August 7, 1979, Gold Beach, OR
Linda Pleva (1414DFOR) missing June 21, 1981, Eugene, OR
Sherry Eyerly (1482DFOR) missing July 4, 1982, Salem, OR
Kerry Johnson (150DFOR) missing September 14, 1982, Salem, OR
Laronda Bronson (1619DFOR) missing November 19, 1982, Portland, OR
Joan Hall (1413DFOR) Missing September 30, 1983, Clatsop, OR (somewhat off of the I-5 corridor, but included anyway)
Christine Nelson (1357DFOR) missing August 24, 1986, Eugene, OR
Rhonda Sansovich (1760DFOR) missing March 7, 1988, Elmira, OR
Angela Chan (997DFOR) missing March 27, 1989, Redmond OR
Stephanie Douglas (1372DFOR) missing November 27, 1990 McMinnville, OR
Patricia Wilson-Swanberg (973DFOR) missing August 10, 1992, Corvallis, OR
Tanya Jackson (180DFOR) missing April 22, 1992, Portland, OR
Eryn McClary (1446DFOR) missing August 4, 1995, Eugene OR
America Chapman (see NAMPN) missing March 13, 1996, Newport, OR
Kaelin Glazier (1576 DFOR) missing November 6, 1996, Ruch OR
Rebecca Reid (see NAMPN) missing January 27, 1997, Eugene, OR (sketch of abductor suspect available)
Katrina Sweaney (see NAMPN) missing March 1998, Grants Pass, OR
Stephanie Condon (see NAMPN) missing October 30, 1998, Myrtle Creek, OR
Theresa Davidson-Murphy (see NAMPN) missing October 7, 1999, Rainer, OR
Leigh Bosch (see NAMPN) missing December 27, 2001, the Dalles, OR (off I-5 on I-84 a few hours from I-5)
Hazel Chamblen (see NAMPN) missing October 20, 2000, Winston, OR
Karen Kncaid (see NAMPN) mising October 3, 2002, Oakland, OR
Anne Magnuson (NCIC M-912732971) missing September 12, 2002, Pleasant Hill, OR
Kimberly Forbes (see NAMPN) missing October 31, 2004, Hood River, OR (again off of I-5 on I-84)
Nicole Hutchings (see NCMA) missing November 1, 2004, Bend, OR (somewhat off the corridor)
Helen Ordeman-Pratt (NCIC M-85131500) missing March 31, 2005, Eugene, OR
Wendy Dehoop (NCIC M-024845120) missing April 22, 2005, Eugene, OR

This list is not complete. For one thing, it does not include men, many of whom are also missing from the Eugene or I-5 area.
Also not included are:
Barbara Gallagher (120DFOR) suspect is husband
Christie Ferni (706DFOR) family suspected
Annalycia Cruz (1022DFOR) only a baby at the time
Rachanda Pickle (146DFOR) family suspected
brooke Wilberger (NCMA 989410) suspect charged
Barbara Waldron (NAMPN) husband suspected
Catherine Wallace (NAMPN) husband suspected
I've also not included children who were listed as family abductions.

I know that all of these cases are not related, but the sheer number shocks me for a state that has considerably less violent crime than other states.

What do you think?

If you want a nice place to compare the case files, try
rebelcherokee.labdiva.com/oregonmissing.html
It has most of the files.

Wow, that is some list...I'm impressed with your research. Have you considered sitting down with a detective from your local PD or State Police and discussing this?The Pacific NorthWest certainly seems to have more than its share of serial murders...

I don't know if the unsolved cases could involve any other Missing Oregon women, but it's possible.

FBI: Wilberger may be one of 4 victims

Possible serial case - Suspect Joel Courtney may be connected to three other Oregon sexual assaults and slayings, the agency says
Thursday, February 23, 2006 BOAZ HERZOG

The man charged with murder in the 2004 disappearance of college student Brooke Wilberger may have sexually assaulted and killed three additional victims in Oregon, according to the FBI.

The FBI's Violent Criminal Apprehension Program recently issued a bulletin to police agencies seeking information that could connect Joel Patrick Courtney to unsolved homicides and sexual assaults.

The alert did not name the suspected Oregon victims. Beth Anne Steele, a spokeswoman in the FBI's Portland office, said "it's not unusual for police agencies to look at unsolved cases" but refused to comment further.

Courtney is in custody in Albuquerque, N.M., awaiting trial on charges that he raped a University of New Mexico student in November 2004. Oregon officials are seeking his extradition, but that is unlikely until the New Mexico case is completed.

According to the FBI's alert, there is a "high possibility" that Courtney has assaulted victims in Portland and Beaverton; Albuquerque, Bernalillo, Grants and Rio Rancho, N.M.; Anchorage; and Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach and Pensacola, Fla. Courtney also is known to have traveled to Mexico through Arizona, the alert said.

The alert said Courtney is inclined to abduct white females, ages 15 to 25, with blond hair and blue eyes, in outdoor settings.

The Portland Police Bureau's Cold Case Squad has been examining cases with possible links to Courtney for months, said Detective Paul Dolbey, a police bureau spokesman. The FBI alert placed Courtney in Portland between 1980 and 1989, in 1993 and in 2004.

The bureau's cold case investigation began soon after a Benton County grand jury indicted Courtney in late July on 14 counts of aggravated murder -- one count for each legal theory of how Wilberger was killed -- as well as kidnapping, rape, sexual abuse and sodomy.

"We've looked at all cases with similarities and have been working it hard since," Dolbey said Wednesday evening. He declined to say whether the investigation had turned up any leads or how many of the squad's cases were similar to Courtney's suspected abduction methods.

Officer Mark Hyde, a Beaverton police spokesman, said nobody in his department was familiar with any new or old cases in which Courtney is a suspect. The department had not been aware of the FBI linking Courtney to possible victims in Beaverton between 1986-92 until reporters called Wednesday, Hyde said.

Lt. Gregg Hastings, a spokesman for the Oregon State Police, said Wednesday the agency was not aware of the FBI alert.

Hi Auggie,

Thanks for the thread. I saw on the news last night one of the women Courtney is suspected of killing is from Beaverton or where I live. Do you know if any of the women on your list fit the description of Brooke? The gal in New Mexico looked very similar to Brook that Courtney attacked when he got arrested. Or are any of these women a look-alike for Brooke. I'm hoping to discover through missing cases who the other 3 girls are that they think Courtney has killed in Oregon.

Merci Scandi

scandi said:
Hi Auggie,

Thanks for the thread. I saw on the news last night one of the women Courtney is suspected of killing is from Beaverton or where I live. Do you know if any of the women on your list fit the description of Brooke? The gal in New Mexico looked very similar to Brook that Courtney attacked when he got arrested. Or are any of these women a look-alike for Brooke. I'm hoping to discover through missing cases who the other 3 girls are that they think Courtney has killed in Oregon.

Merci Scandi
i suspect that the other three may not be missing, but just unsolved murders. Too bad we don't have an unsolved murders web site

Cold Case Team Working On 20-Year-Old Mystery

Woman Disappeared In 1986
More than a decade after she was declared legally dead and 20 years after her disappearance, Christine Ann Nelson still lingers in the mind of Kurt Wuest, one of the initial detectives on the case.

The retired Lane County sheriff's investigator is trying to find out what happened to the woman who vanished Aug. 24, 1986.

Wuest is now pursuing Nelson's disappearance as a member of the county's recently formed cold case squad.

On the day she vanished, Nelson's motorcycle was found parked near a quarry about 15 miles from her Jasper home. Her husband, Philip Nelson, told investigators she had gone for a motorcycle ride and never returned.

Pam Wallis, Christine Nelson's younger sister, has believed for 20 years that her brother-in-law killed her sister and buried the body somewhere in Lane County.

Cold case team trying to solve 20-year-old mystery

Detectives also considered Philip Nelson the prime suspect, but they never found the evidence to arrest him. Nelson, who could not be located for the story, relocated to Alaska after his wife went missing and later moved to the Southwest. (more)

Investigators found human remains in a shallow grave early Tuesday evening during the search for a Bend woman missing since 2004. The discovery came just hours after two Bend men were arraigned on murder charges in connection with the disappearance of 21-year-old Nicole Marie Hutchings.

Bend police say they cracked the cold case Monday, when they took Loren Allen Bowers, 37, and Craig Allen Whiting, 26, into custody on suspicion of Hutchings' murder.

They now believe they have found her body, buried in a remote area southeast of Sunriver.

Hutchings' mother last saw her on the night of Nov. 1, 2004, near the family home in the 63200 block of Gallop Court in Bend, according to police reports.

She was not considered a runaway because she was older than 18.

Bowers and Whiting were charged and arraigned late Tuesday afternoon with one count each of aggravated murder, conspiracy to commit murder, murder and two counts of first-degree kidnapping

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070314/NEWS0107/703140351

geez, someone does not want me to post. it keeps disappearing. let's try again. I used to work with Rebecca Reid. the newspaper stated Rebecca was bubbly and she was anything but that. she was sad and unhappy. during breaks she would talk to me about her son but never her husband. they relocated to Eugene from Idaho to save their marriage. she had several affairs and had one in Eugene. I did not understand why they did not arrest that one guy who one month later tried to kidnap someone from a convenience store. they said he was a copy cat though he drove the same type of truck as the one who kidnapped Rebecca. Later he moved down south and tried to kidnap someone and later shot at the police and he was killed. if he is the killer, we will never know unless they find her body. the other weird thing is right after she disappeared, her husband declared she was dead and put in a cement deck. he said she had wanted one and did in her memory. I guess the police had no thoughts as to the husband may have done it. why would he say she was dead right away? he may have gotten mad at her because she was still having affairs.

The other case is with Denise Nelson disappeared in 1986. She worked at the U of O where I worked . She worked at the library and I knew her boss, George. I also had a friend who worked there and my friend was close to George. Where I worked, the building was sort of secluded and there was an alley. one day I saw Denise and George walking through the alley holding hands. It made me mad since he was married and had kids. I called my friend but she was covering for him. When Denise disappeared, my friend told me that George had helped Denise escape somewhere. So the family is wrong that she did not have a boyfriend, because she did. I wonder if she really was killed or did escape to a safe place.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/05/serial_killer_randy_woodfields.html

Talks about Randy Woodfields, OR SK suspected to have more victims. Also provided other SKs with links to OR:

* Jerome Henry Brudos. Kidnapped and murdered young Oregon women in the late 1960s. Sometimes referred to as "The Lust Killer" and "The Shoe Fetish Slayer." Convicted of three murders, confessed to four, suspected of at least one more. Died in 2006 in the Oregon State Penitentiary at age 67 from natural causes.

* Theodore Robert "Ted" Bundy. Murdered numerous young women nationwide during the 1970s, often luring his victims into his car by pretending to be injured and asking for help. Convicted of three Florida murders. Bundy's lawyer has said he believes Bundy killed a total of 36 people. Confessed to killing Roberta Kathleen Parks, 22, who vanished from the Oregon State University campus in May 1974. Executed in Florida in 1989.

* Dayton Leroy Rogers. Convicted of murdering seven prostitutes in Oregon after police found the bodies of seven women in 1987 in the woods near Molalla. Dubbed the "Molalla Forest Killer." On Oregon's death row.

* Gary Ridgway. Acknowledged killing 49 young women during the 1980s and early 1990s; true number likely higher. Dubbed the "Green River Killer" because several of his victims were dumped in or posed along the Green River in Kent, WA. Targeted Washington runaways and prostitutes. Remains of four victims found in Oregon's Washington County. Sentenced to life in prison at the Washington State Penitentiary in 2003.

Ridgeway and Rogers both have unidentified victims. Here is the link to Rogers' UID: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10017

This thread is giving me the creeps! I live in Lane County, and we have never heard of these murders!!! :scared:

I've made some maps, to have a visual representation of where people disappeared from. The I-5 corridor is beyond ridiculous.

Oregon's Missing Children (0-19) - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211902822057040633612.0004dfa2fa3227c40dd86&msa=0

Oregon's Missing Adults (20+) - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...l=44.095476,-120.827637&spn=5.49143,13.392334

This obviously doesn't have murders, just missing. But it's crazy to look at. I broke it up by decade as well.

Here's Washington. You'll notice the same thing about I-5.

Children - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...=46.920255,-120.904541&spn=5.222925,13.392334

Adults - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...=47.256864,-120.541992&spn=5.190067,13.392334

Two killers leave a trail of bodies along Interstate 5 in California in the 1980s
BY Mara Bovsun
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, March 23, 2014, 1:00 AM

Randall Brent Woodfield, the I-5 Killer, and Roger Reece Kibbe, the I-5 Strangler, combined for more than a dozen confirmed killings.

Together, they are responsible for more than a dozen confirmed killings, but investigators believe that the actual number could be at least four times as high.

They came from very different backgrounds. Randall Brent Woodfield, the I-5 Killer, was born in 1950 into an ordinary upper middle-class Salem, Ore., family. Handsome and athletic, Woodfield landed a spot on the Green Bay Packers football team in 1974, while he was still in college.

In contrast, Roger Reece Kibbe, the I-5 Strangler, born in 1949, was a loner, a stutterer who endured teasing at school and beatings from a mother who hated him.

Early initiation into crime was one common bond.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/jus...il-bodies-i-5-article-1.1730863#ixzz2yKtf5aHL
continued at the link

Thank you for all the links above SWDWTBN!! I have looked and gathered myself to check on trucking routes as I have some suspicions about a guy I once knew way back when...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back