Bush will go to Texas to review storm preparations

tybee204

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/22/rita.bush/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush will fly to Texas and Colorado on Friday to visit with emergency workers and U.S. Northern Command headquarters ahead of Hurricane Rita, the White House said Thursday.

The visit will enable Bush "to get a firsthand look at the preparations that are under way for Hurricane Rita and to show our support for the first responders as they get ready for the response to Hurricane Rita," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

The moves ahead of the storm came after three weeks of criticism over the Bush administration's response to Hurricane Katrina, a Category 4 storm blamed for more than 1,000 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi. Rita, which is expected to make landfall on the Texas Gulf Coast early Saturday, is a Category 4 storm with top winds of 150 mph.

"This is a catastrophic hurricane that is headed toward the coast of Texas, and the president wants to go and see some of the preparations that are under way and thank all of those who are involved in preparing for this response," he said. "He is the president. And, as he indicated to you all, it is his responsibility when it comes to the federal government's role in these hurricanes."

more at link...

How nice of him, fly in and fly out -----

poco said:
How nice of him, fly in and fly out -----
LOL! As opposed to flying in and then not evacuating?:confused: :confused:

Gabby said:
As opposed to keeping his butt in Washington DC

Like his travel plans means anything to people in the path? He really needs to just shut up as I don't believe one adult on this planet cares what he thinks or plans to do. We are just over him. He is basically a buffoon.

Gabby said:
As opposed to keeping his butt in Washington DC
Hi Gabby!
I think it is important that he went to see what was happening.

JBean said:
Hi Gabby!
I think it is important that he went to see what was happening.

Hi Jelly

I can't stand the man.... I don't want him on MY HOME TURF... I was born here, he wasn't.

Gosh Gabby....how do you really feel? :blowkiss:
Gabby said:
Hi Jelly

I can't stand the man.... I don't want him on MY HOME TURF... I was born here, he wasn't.

Gabby said:
Hi Jelly

No PP for me :silenced: :blowkiss:

concernedperson said:
Like his travel plans means anything to people in the path? He really needs to just shut up as I don't believe one adult on this planet cares what he thinks or plans to do. We are just over him. He is basically a buffoon.
Look...he can't control this. It is not his fault. Texas is HUGE. There is no way we could have all gotten out unless we started leaving last week. Part of the problem is people don't want to get fired from their jobs. School employees are the only ones who had a chance to slip out. Most of the other employers in the Baytown area made everyone work until yesterday. While you may not agree with his actions...blaming this on him is a little over the top. And...I know the next thing someone is going to say is...well I would leave no matter what. The thing is a single mom, or a family making it paycheck to paycheck can't afford to walk out of a job. They are not that easy to find down in the Houston area. People wanted to make sure that if they lost everything, at least they would have a job to come back to. It isn't just a simple answer. I am not trying to criticize you. All I am saying is that it is not a simple cut and dry problem.

Wasn't it the Govenor who said if you have room in your car - take someone with you who doesn't have transportation out of town ---- ?? wonder if there are any extra seats on Air Force One - Wonder how many evacuees the White House can put up for a few weeks.....

Come on George, set an example!

poco said:
Wasn't it the Govenor who said if you have room in your car - take someone with you who doesn't have transportation out of town ---- ?? wonder if there are any extra seats on Air Force One - Wonder how many evacuees the White House can put up for a few weeks.....

LOL Poco the do have alot of spare rooms there, And heck I bet Cheney isnt even using the Vice President residence. Could put a few folks over there to.

Gosh, I cannot believe how many people on this site...hate our president!!!

I know how many will not like me for saying that, but its true...but its ok, I like me!!!

:clap: :laugh:
poco said:

concernedperson said:
He WAS the governor of the state, after all, and owns property and has family and friends down there, so, yeah, I can see him wanting to make sure everyone has their manure tightly packed down there, since he's, ultimately, the person they will turn to. Normally the Secret Service would have three kinds of kittens if a sitting president announced travel plans that would place him in harm's way, but these are not normal times.

lilpony said:

I know how many will not like me for saying that, but its true...but its ok, I like me!!!
Has anyone said that they hate him? I believe that many here do not like his actions, nor the job he appears to be doing as president.

lilpony said:

I do not HATE him, I don't LIKE him.... He makes my skin crawl.....I have met him and shook his hand when he was compaining for Govenor and I was not the least bit impressed..........I actually don't have any feelings one way or the other for him, but I don't LIKE him....or DISLIKE him....and as I said I do not want him on MY HOME TURF.... I feel that way about a lot of people...

Gabby said:
I do not HATE him, I don't LIKE him.... He makes my skin crawl.....I have met him and shook his hand when he was compaining for Govenor and I was not the least bit impressed..........I actually don't have any feelings one way or the other for him, but I don't LIKE him....or DISLIKE him....and as I said I do not want him on MY HOME TURF.... I feel that way about a lot of people...

How about me????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back