LA Official Accused of Stealing Katrina Supplies

BillyGoatGruff

Reaction score
I saw a breaking news blurb on CNN a couple of nights ago about a Louisianan mayor (or maybe it was another elected official--but for some reason, mayor stuck in my head) accused of stealing donated food/supplies from a shelter.
They actually showed the stolen supplies--what stuck in my head was at least four cases of Stewart's root beer, which ain't cheap. I haven't seen or read anything else abut it. Anyone else see that news break?

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050922/D8CP1OGOB.html

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Police found cases of food, clothing and tools intended for hurricane victims at the home of the chief administrative officer for a New Orleans suburb, authorities said Wednesday.

Officers searched Cedric Floyd's home because of complaints that city workers were helping themselves to donations for hurricane victims. Floyd, who runs the day-to-day operations in the suburb of Kenner, was in charge of distributing the goods.

Police plan to seek a charge of committing an illegal act as a public official against Floyd, and more charges against other city workers are possible, police Capt. Steve Caraway said.

more at tlink.

Why does this not surprise me? Because it is an ongoing and pervasive manipulation. I hope in this instance that an independent body is abjucated to assist in any funds being distributed. Ya gotta watch out for the local pols. It is going to get much worse. I think a big portion of Rita is going to hit Louisiana. The money grubbing paws will be out in major numbers and funds should not be allowed in local hands. Granted FEMA isn't cool but this group is worse.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I saw a breaking news blurb on CNN a couple of nights ago about a Louisianan mayor (or maybe it was another elected official--but for some reason, mayor stuck in my head) accused of stealing donated food/supplies from a shelter.
They actually showed the stolen supplies--what stuck in my head was at least four cases of Stewart's root beer, which ain't cheap. I haven't seen or read anything else abut it. Anyone else see that news break?
I heard bits and pieces of that; I was busy doing something. He probably isn't the only one. That goes on when there is stuff sitting all over the place. One, by one, they say "Hey, they'll never miss a case, or two, of this stuff.

Watch out for this as it won't be an isolated incident. Now would be a good time to expose them all and maybe, finally,hopefully, get Louisiana on a better track.

concernedperson said:
Watch out for this as it won't be an isolated incident. Now would be a good time to expose them all and maybe, finally,hopefully, get Louisiana on a better track.
It appears that the city workers who worked for this guy were also helping themselves; they are all probably rushing arround trying to hide the evidence.

Buzzm1 said:
I heard bits and pieces of that; I was busy doing something. He probably isn't the only one. That goes on when there is stuff sitting all over the place. One, by one, they say "Hey, they'll never miss a case, or two, of this stuff.
I guess I shpuldn't be surprised.
Didn't the sheriff accuse the mayor of being racist by not helping Mexican/hispanic citizens evacuate?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back