1487 users online (287 members and 1200 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    How can a judge think something is too severe that the convict has already agreed to as terms for his bail?

I'm on the verge of giving up caring.

This is like 'innocent (despite conviction in the Supreme Court) until proven guilty in the Constitutional Court'

Quote Originally Posted by Interested Bystander View Post
    I have brought Soozie’s post over. I hope that is OK. I was in the middle of answering and the thread closed before I posted.

Soozie, I wondered that myself. What was he thinking? I am very unimpressed with the SA judiciary. This guy seemed oblivious that OP was a convicted murderer. What did he think the bail hearing was about?

Nel struggled IMO because all this had been thrashed out and agreed prior to the bail hearing. He appeared flustered when the judge started to intervene by altering the already agreed terms. Surely the judge should have rubber stamped what had already been agreed, after negotiations, between the parties involved unless there was an important error which needed correction. I do wonder what the SA public will make of this.

As those of you who have followed this case closely will know I have never felt that Nel has been comfortable during this trial. I am unsure whether it is due to an insufficient grasp of English but he seems to struggle with fluent argument, whereas Roux has a total grasp of the English language. I am sure Nel has sufficient knowledge but lacks cogency (convincing argument by virtue of forcible, clear, or incisive presentation).

I hope the public in SA were as appalled and unimpressed as we are with OP's smirking and general demeanour.

With respect to the judge, was he up to the job? I think not. He did not seem to have a clear understanding of what this hearing was all about or something else interfered with his rational thought. He was dealing with a convicted murderer and yet gave him bail conditions less strict than the OP's original bail conditions, apart from the tagging, when OP was still unconvicted.
    BIB - there's just no making sense of that at all. To be honest, I feel a bit sick about the whole thing. The 'broken' and 'devastated' OP managing a little grin when the judge agreed to a 20km radius for his travels. The dirty look he gave Nel when Nel correctly pointed out he was now a convicted murderer. And the laugh he shared with Roux? I was hoping to see a little more humility but no. There he was. The same "I'm a star. I always win" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    This is like 'innocent (despite conviction in the Supreme Court) until proven guilty in the Constitutional Court'
    Actually he is currently guilty of murder and if by the smallest chance he wins case at con court he will be guilty of CH, at no point is he innocent!

Quote Originally Posted by DarKHawK View Post
    Actually he is currently guilty of murder and if by the smallest chance he wins case at con court he will be guilty of CH, at no point is he innocent!
    .....i can see you're an optimist.....

....bail for murder at £500.......is this a joke....or is the CC going to overturn the murder verdict and the décision has already been made behind closed curtains....

Llewelyn Curlewis on Sky has just said he does not expect this matter to be concluded before October 2016.

I think the criticisms of Nel are quite unfair

We can see the judge was well minded to grant bail and OP has had bail right throughout these proceedings except for when he was sentenced for CH

I agree it seems ridiculous - I would have expected jail in other countries.

But I really don't see what Nel as prosecutor can do differently - and anyway, OP is fortunate with the Court break - but he will have to serve his time eventually.

Unless he is left off by the Con Court - but in that event - he ought not to have served his time.

Quote Originally Posted by CriLondon View Post
    Any comments or reactions from the NPA yet?
    http://citizen.co.za/899861/npa/

"The National Prosecuting Authority wanted the prescribed 15-year minimum sentence imposed on murderer Oscar Pistorius.

“He is convicted of murder, and he is a first offender. Fifteen years is prescribed in terms of the minimum sentencing act as the appropriate sentence for murder,” spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku said outside the North Gauteng High Court on Tuesday.

“We will argue for the imposition of the 15-year minimum sentence.”

He added that the prosecution authority had a responsibility to ensure that the law was applied in accordance with the constitution...

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel earlier told the court that there was no prospect Pistorius’s appeal succeeding."

Talk about delusional

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan · 5h5 hours ago
    #OscarPistorius: my release on bail will not induce a sense of shock or outrage @eNCA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan · 6h6 hours ago
    #OscarPistorius says keeping him behind bars would be unfair "where I have at least a probable prospect of success" in Concourt @eNCA

#OscarPistorius: I believe I will be successful in an appeal to the Constitutional Court @eNCA

#OscarPistorius: I am not a flight risk @eNCA

Ruth Maclean ‏@ruthmaclean · 3h3 hours ago
    A correctional services official tells me #OscarPistorius electronic tag on wrist because if it was on prosthetic ankle "he'd just leave it"

Ruth Maclean ‏@ruthmaclean · 1h1 hour ago
    A tagged #OscarPistorius just left correctional services in a new white Audi. But he can't afford bail of more than R10k/ £500

Maybe the Audi was a gift/reward for all of Oscar's suffering. What a narcissist.

I'm pretty much done with this. A convicted murderer gets a new car, a 'slap on the wrist', house arrest and bail hearing next April. The brutality of that murder should be counted somehow.

Maybe Nel will write a book one day. I agree with another poster about Nel (sorry I can't remember your name).

Can't forget the SCA was willing to go with DD but it wasn't asked for. During the initial trial, Nel has seem confused and today again. Maybe it's the pressure from who knows where. Don't know.

The defence team is expected to appeal to the Constitutional Court on the grounds that the appeal court considered matters of fact rather than law, which are outside its remit.

If the application to appeal is successful, Pistorius could remain on bail until late next year while a space is found to hear his case, and could escape jail altogether if his appeal succeeds.

If the application fails, the court will in April set a date for sentencing, which could also be late in the year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...sion-live.html

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeJudi View Post
    The defence team is expected to appeal to the Constitutional Court on the grounds that the appeal court considered matters of fact rather than law, which are outside its remit.

If the application to appeal is successful, Pistorius could remain on bail until late next year while a space is found to hear his case, and could escape jail altogether if his appeal succeeds.

If the application fails, the court will in April set a date for sentencing, which could also be late in the year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...sion-live.html
    This is expected - as that was exactly what Roux argued on appeal and leave to appeal.

So they already lost twice with that argument.

Will be interesting to see if they can come up with better arguments than last time but as I've mentioned before, the irony is that the weakness in the defence case is the poor judgement Masipa penned.

This is not something that an Appeal Court can fix up for him.

Masipa had one job!

Quote Originally Posted by jilly View Post
    Maybe the Audi was a gift/reward for all of Oscar's suffering. What a narcissist.

I'm pretty much done with this. A convicted murderer gets a new car, a 'slap on the wrist', house arrest and bail hearing next April. The brutality of that murder should be counted somehow.

Maybe Nel will write a book one day. I agree with another poster about Nel (sorry I can't remember your name).

Can't forget the SCA was willing to go with DD but it wasn't asked for. During the initial trial, Nel has seem confused and today again. Maybe it's the pressure from who knows where. Don't know.
    .........what's the point in trying to find the ins and outs all in detail of how and why he shot her if we have to put up with lowest form of justice known to a democratic country......the smirk says it all..

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast