GA GA - Two AWOL Afghan soldiers (one found), Moody AFB, Valdosta, 7 Dec 2015

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Two Afghan Air Force trainees did not report for duty Monday at Moody Air Force Base in Valdosta, Georgia and are missing. The two men are part of a program to train Afghan pilots and maintenance personnel who will be flying the A-29 Super Tucano fighter aircraft. They are among 9 pilots and 14 maintenance crew who have been at Moody Air Force Base for much of the year. The two men missing are from the maintenance crew. One of the men is an Afghan Air Force Lieutenant, the other man is a Senior Master Sergeant within the Afghan Air Force, officials said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/afghan-trainees-missing-georgia-air-force-base/story?id=35663414

So weird. My immediate thought it some kind of hysterical backlash by US citizens. I hope that is not the case.

I am sure there has to be logical explaination for them not to show up for juty - I have some thoughts about this but don't think I can say it on here :fence:

Gee.... I feel much better.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/T...om-Moody-AFB-361054651.html?device=tablet&c=y

ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia police say there's no indication two Afghan nationals pose a threat after they went missing from an Air Force base.

Valdosta police Chief Brian Childress said Wednesday that there's "zero evidence" the men are terrorists.

Childress says federal, local and state agencies are working with the military to find the men.

Childress says Moody Air Force Base officials informed him Tuesday morning that the men were missing.

After the men failed to report for duty on Monday, and they were not found in on-base living quarters, the search widened to include federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure their “safe return,” he said.

In reply to a question, he said there were no reports of missing weapons “or anything of that nature.”

“In light of everything going on in the world today we want to make sure no one jumps to any unfair or misinformed conclusions,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/us/2-afghan-trainees-at-georgia-air-base-are-missing.html

Missing Afghan soldiers were in training to replace U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan

Snip

A former Homeland Security advisor for the U.S Senate, said training foreign soldiers is a common and strategic security move.

"We train military personnel from all over the world," said Todd Stein. "It's a way us to build allegiances and alliances with foreign military. As they go up through the chain, we know them, we have relationships with them, it's a very valuable piece of our national security apparatus."

Stein said while no one knows for sure where the two missing Afghan soldiers are, he doesn't believe they pose any type of threat.

"If these two individuals were radicalized, they had all the tools they needed to do something to America at Moody air force base," he said.

This is not the first time Afghan soldiers ended up missing from a U.S military base. In 2014, three fled to Canada last year seeking asylum, but were sent back to Afghanistan.

Sources: Missing Afghan trainees likely rented car

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -
Investigators are looking into whether two missing Afghan trainees at Moody Air Force Base may have rented a car from an airport.

Air Force officials said the two men have been training with the 81st Fighter Squadron at Moody, part of a program to train pilots and maintenance crew members on Afghan A-29 Super Tucano fighter jets.

When asked about the missing men, the managers of both rental car companies at the Valdosta airport declined to comment. The airport's manager also declined to say anything.

Air Force and Defense officials said there was no reason to believe either of the two posed any kind of threat.

Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress told the Associated Press that there was "zero evidence" the men are terrorists.

Lowndes county Sheriff Chris Prine said they will continue to remain vigilant and will assist if requested by law enforcement on the base.

I am hoping these two men liked it here so much they want to stay and that is why they are missing. The problem with that though we really don't know why they are missing and their motive for doing so.

I just read an article this morning about an investigation that has been opened when two men who seemed to be foreigners went into Walmart in Lebanon, Mo and purchased over 60 cell phones. I believe it said the FBI is the one investigating. Thank goodness Walmart alerted them about these purchases especially when it is known that terrorists can activate bombs by using cell phones and they can also communicate with other terrorists.

Every time I've ever rented a car, in addition to my driver's license, I had to provide a credit card even if paying cash.

Just wondering whether the missing men would be able to rent a vehicle without help. (I'm not saying they're part of a cell nor even that they're up to no good, just pondering how they got a rental car, if they did.) MOO

Most people on FB are leaning toward terrorists, my first thought was retaliation against them for their background. I hope neither one is true.

Also a lot of people mentioning the men being investigated for buying huge amounts of cell phones at Walmart. Not saying it has anything to do with terrorism or not but it's fairly common for people to buy a bunch when they are on sale and resell them for a profit in their own corner stores, especially in areas where people aren't as mobile and might not be able to get to a Walmart or somewhere to get a cheap phone. That said most Walmarts limit the amount of cells they will allow someone to purchase, especially when they're at a deep discount.

Not saying this is related but it's interesting timing.

Multiple cell phone purchases at 3 Missouri Walmarts raise suspicions

Last Saturday, KSPR reports that police were called to a Lebanon, Mo., Walmart when two men purchased about 60 cell phones early in the morning. Police tell KSPR that terrorists can use cell phones as bomb detonators in addition to using them for communication, and can be hard to track if prepaid.

http://fox4kc.com/2015/12/09/multiple-cell-phone-purchases-at-3-missouri-walmarts-raise-suspicions/

FBI alerted about bulk cell phone purchases at Missouri Walmarts

“Somebody went in and bought 60 cell phones from Walmart that’s not normal for this area. I’m not going to say just because they’re different religion or just because they’re Muslim–but these people were they were foreign speaking then you need to take notice and you need to let us know because it doesn’t hurt to check on it. You’re not being racist or anything like that you’re just protecting yourself.” Laclede County Sheriff Wayne Merritt tells KYTV.

http://fox2now.com/2015/12/10/fbi-alerted-about-bulk-cell-phone-purchases-at-3-missouri-walmarts/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back