1342 users online (302 members and 1040 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No Way Out: Many Poor Stuck in Houston

Link Here

HOUSTON - Wilma Skinner would like to scream at the officials of this city. If only someone would pick up their phone.
    I done called for a shelter, I done called for help. There ain't none. No one answers," she said, standing in blistering heat outside a check-cashing store that had just run out of its main commodity. "Everyone just says, 'Get out, get out.' I've got no way of getting out. And now I've got no money."

With Hurricane Rita breathing down Houston's neck, those with cars were stuck in gridlock trying to get out. Those like Skinner poor, and with a broken-down car were simply stuck, and fuming at being abandoned, they say.

more at link
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    Link Here

HOUSTON - Wilma Skinner would like to scream at the officials of this city. If only someone would pick up their phone.
    I done called for a shelter, I done called for help. There ain't none. No one answers," she said, standing in blistering heat outside a check-cashing store that had just run out of its main commodity. "Everyone just says, 'Get out, get out.' I've got no way of getting out. And now I've got no money."

With Hurricane Rita breathing down Houston's neck, those with cars were stuck in gridlock trying to get out. Those like Skinner poor, and with a broken-down car were simply stuck, and fuming at being abandoned, they say.

more at link
    They have been bussing people out for three days. Announcements were made on channel 2 news along with numbers to call for help.

Link

Best-Laid Plans Weren't Enough in Texas

HOUSTON - It was envisioned as the anti-Katrina plan: Texas officials sketched a staggered, orderly evacuation plan for Hurricane Rita and urged people to get out days ahead of time.

But tangles still arrived even before the storm's first bands. Panicked drivers ran out of gas, a spectacular, deadly bus fire clogged traffic, and freeways were red rivers of taillights that stretched to the horizon.

In an age of terrorist danger and with memories of the nightmare in New Orleans still fresh, the Texas exodus raises a troubling question: Can any American city empty itself safely and quickly?

Thousands of drivers remained stranded Friday to the north and west of Houston. Many were stuck in extreme heat, out of gas as gas trucks, rumored to be on the way, or at least buses to evacuate motorists, never came.

More at link
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

Even those who aren't poor couldn't get out because of traffic and gas shortages. We know quite a few who couldn't get out....looks like the storm will go east of them. Being in Austin I'm bummed we are not getting a thing!!!!!!!!

Not to worry, help came. TX National Guard sent huge trucks, containing a total of 650,000 gallons of gas to give free of charge to those stranded. Buses were sent to collect those who had disabled cars. For any who wanted to shelter immediately, schools were opened up and one local judge called and had the Wal Mart opened up so the new shelter could be supplied with food, diapers, formula for babies, water etc.

Corpus Christi, Texas

aside from the gridlock glitch...

right, TexMex...

local government and citizenry are handling this one pretty well so far. Mayor Bill's demeanor has been most adequate and I'm impressed with him, Judge Eckels and the rest of local governmental agencies to date, by and large.

getting some breezy WX here now...I have fingers and toes crossed hoping Rita's fury will be limited to the less populated areas of SE TX and SW LA.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoReiter
    right, TexMex...

local government and citizenry are handling this one pretty well so far. Mayor Bill's demeanor has been most adequate and I'm impressed with him, Judge Eckels and the rest of local governmental agencies to date, by and large.

getting some breezy WX here now...I have fingers and toes crossed hoping Rita's fury will be limited to the less populated areas of SE TX and SW LA.
    I agree Gonzo. Where are you?
    Very breezy and cloudy here, no rain yet.

Corpus Christi, Texas

A friends son just left Houston at 3 and the highways were empty...they made it to CS in 1 1/2 hours.

I am sure the highways are much better now knowing that the hurricane will hit well east of the Houston area. The Texas/Louisiana border is the concern and everything on the east side of landfall will bear the brunt of this storm. So, it won't impact the Houston area as severely as thought. People are better off in their homes than on the highways.

north of you, I think Tex

Quote Originally Posted by TexMex
    I agree Gonzo. Where are you?
    Very breezy and cloudy here, no rain yet.
    Jersey Village now, gonna hunker down here for the weekend...see how much damage Ms Rita does to Lake Charles, LA (relatives) and take it from there.

breeze didn't last very long here, altho for sure it will pick back up again later...with gusto.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoReiter
    Jersey Village now, gonna hunker down here for the weekend...see how much damage Ms Rita does to Lake Charles, LA (relatives) and take it from there.

breeze didn't last very long here, altho for sure it will pick back up again later...with gusto.
    I am looking at New Iberia (relatives) and Lafayette (friends and relatives) my Lake Charles relatives moved to New Iberia. We will see what the storm surge does in the next 12 hours. None of them have evacuated as they have generators and such and hard heads and no common sense. Sometimes all you can do is throw your hands up!

When you have people all along the gulf coast evacuating the highways get bogged down. Even those that try to leave early get caught in it.

Some have to turn aroung and go home or get stuck on the road. Your gas runs out waiting in traffic, your car overheats and breaksdown, or it can be just such a physical toll it takes on people to make them go back home.

My friend's mother, who is 67 years old, packed up her car on Wednesday night and left the Galveston area early Thursday morning. 9 hours and a full tank of gas later, she ran out of gas only 150 miles from home. She's been stuck on the side of the road with many other people hoping since last night, waiting for one of those gas tankers to come by and fuel them up. If that doesn't happen, they are hoping that a nearby Home Depot will open its doors and provide shelter from the impending storm.

Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    Link Here

more at link
    There will always be the poor, the homeless and others who could have acted far before now to evacuate or seek a shelter, especailly the able bodied ones!

There are always those that drag their feet and then cry that no one is helping them. Look at all those who acted early and are gaining very little distance from the danger area.

MANY ARE STAYING IN HOUSTON hunkered in their homes that aren't as safe as some of those commercial buildings in Houston where this lady and the others could, and probably will seek shelter.

it will be tough on SE TX & SW LA...no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    I am looking at New Iberia (relatives) and Lafayette (friends and relatives) my Lake Charles relatives moved to New Iberia. We will see what the storm surge does in the next 12 hours. None of them have evacuated as they have generators and such and hard heads and no common sense. Sometimes all you can do is throw your hands up!
    Sister, Nephew and family evac'd yesterday...with no problems on the road. The concern I have now for them is of course for their property (2-homes/workshop/etc.) and my nephew's company (he's Chief Engineer for CITGO refinery in LC).

Like you, I have friends all along the Gulf Coast and hope all will be fine after Rita has passed thru...to date, no loss of life for my NOLaean folks but property damage was sustained there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast