1248 users online (281 members and 967 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NJ - Diggs Family, Bergen County, 6 December 1975

NorthJersey.com:

Who killed the Diggs family? 40-year-old mass murder in Teaneck remains mystery

---
    In the small hours of Saturday, Dec. 6, 1975, Jean Diggs and her four children were murdered in their brick-and-stucco home at 266 Carlton Terrace, the largest mass killing in Bergen County history. All had bullet wounds to the head from a .22-caliber automatic pistol wielded by someone who moved stealthily through the colonial-style house.
    ---
    Jean, a 39-year-old Avon lady, was slumped on a bench in the basement rec room. Seventeen-year-old Audrey; 16-year-old Allison; and the boys, 12-year-old Wesley Jr. and 5-year-old Roger, were upstairs in their beds. The neighbors heard nothing on a chilly night when windows were shut tight. There was no forced entry. No sign of struggle. No disarray.

From the beginning, the case baffled investigators.
    ---
    much more at link above

I had never heard of this case. My first thought was that the murders were tied to the husbands business dealings. In reading the article this was brought out. That is the only theory that makes a lot of sense. I also thought it might've been a hate crime. But I don't put a lot of weight in that because the father was not targeted. So that leads me back to his business dealings.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    No surpise that the neighbors didn't hear anything since a .22 is not that loud. A .22 shot to the head is a standard mob or spy type killing but I don't know if this family could have had any issues in that regard.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    No surpise that the neighbors didn't hear anything since a .22 is not that loud. A .22 shot to the head is a standard mob or spy type killing but I don't know if this family could have had any issues in that regard.
    I can't think of any case where the mob went after a guy's kids and only one possible case (Estelle Carey-1943) where they may have killed a woman to get back at a man so that's an angle we can pretty much eliminate.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 12-10-2015 at 05:43 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

I just heard about this case. Devastating. Is the father still alive?

Wesley Diggs died in 1987. I wonder if the "other women in his life" were married. Tragic story. I suspect the husband/father is the murderer. Seems he liked to spend time away from his family. Maybe he saw them as a burden. MOO

SNIP:

"Wesley Diggs, who lived out his years in Manhattan and fathered a daughter in 1981, joined the family plot in 1987."

"The slender, goateed businessman would admit to having other women in his life and that he often stayed nights in New York rather than with his wife and kids in Teaneck."

There was a book about the case written by Bob Chase. Interesting comments on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Diggs-Bob-Chas...cm_rdp_product
    Last edited by Sulamith; 01-28-2016 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added Book info