4 day school week in KY school district

mic730

Former Member
Reaction score
Jackson schools' week cut to 4 days

WILL COST LESS; SOME SAY MOVE IS RUSHED

By Peter Mathews

CENTRAL KENTUCKY BUREAU

McKEE -- Across Kentucky, school districts are cutting field trips, redrawing bus routes or curtailing athletic events to cope with rising fuel costs. But no one's making quite as dramatic a change as Jackson County.

Starting the week of Oct. 17, students will get every Friday off. Teachers will work half a day.

More at link and interesting they got the idea from a school district on CO.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/12719269.htmt

Okay, I have to admit, I like this idea. Extending the school days Monday-Thursday to make sure students get the same amount of time in class makes sense. Of course, that's me, thinking like a teacher. Parents would not be as happy due to child-care concerns on Fridays. Once again, I can envision parent leaving young children at home alone creating a whole new host of problems.

Pandora said:
Okay, I have to admit, I like this idea. Extending the school days Monday-Thursday to make sure students get the same amount of time in class makes sense. Of course, that's me, thinking like a teacher. Parents would not be as happy due to child-care concerns on Fridays. Once again, I can envision parent leaving young children at home alone creating a whole new host of problems.

I thought it was interesting when the school board in CO suggested going back to a 5 day week the parents voted NO.
I liked that the distict in CO came up with child care solutions on Fridays using the high school students and local churches to make day care centers.
I don't know if this would work everywhere but it's a neat concept.

Using high school students to man child-care centers sounds like a good idea, BUT last year I taught my first child molester. I taught him in tenth and eleventh grades. In eleventh grade, he was arrested half-way through the semester for molesting his three-year-old niece (since her birth). I have reservations about allowing/encouraging students to work with young children in situation where adults may become distracted....Parents choose individual babysitters based on personal knowledge and relationships--it's a different situation than mass child-care.

Additional note: In the last 10+ years, there have only been two weeks in which none of my students (past/present) have been arrested. In talking with colleagues across the country, I've learned that this is the "new normal" in many areas. Scary, isn't it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back