GUILTY TN - Zaevion Dobson, 15, killed shielding girls from gunfire, Knoxville, 17 Dec 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Police: Football player killed shielding girls from gunfire
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A high school football player was killed as he shielded three girls from gunfire as several men went on a shooting spree in Tennessee, police said Friday.

The shootings that killed Zaevion Dobson, 15, began Thursday night, said Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch. The first person shot was Lisa Perry, 46, who was inside her apartment at the time. She is expected to survive.

Rausch said Perry's 23-year-old son, Brandon Perry, and several other men then drove to the neighborhood where Dobson lived and "randomly fired multiple times."

The girls shielded by Dobson were not hurt, he said.

Brandon Perry was later found to have been shot after he crashed a car into another apartment. He died from his injuries on Friday morning. Two other men who fled from the crash were arrested, though one was later released after being questioned.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-football-player-killed-shielding-girls-gunfire-181634938.html

RIP Zaevion. What a hero. So heartbreaking! [video=cnn;us/2015/12/19/teen-killed-shielding-girls-from-bullets-orig-vstop.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/19/us/zaevion-dobson-killed-shielding-girls-from-bullets/index.html[/video]

This is truly heartbreaking. What a noble young man. I hate to see him dying at such a tender age over NOTHING at all. So tragic. I hope the girls whose lives he saved dedicate their lives to him and make him proud. RIP young hero:rose: :star: :rose:

This is truly heartbreaking. What a noble young man. I hate to see him dying at such a tender age over NOTHING at all. So tragic. I hope the girls whose lives he saved dedicate their lives to him and make him proud. RIP young hero:rose: :star: :rose:
I love the way you put things, katy. Sometimes I am at a loss for words and then I read your post and it just sums things up so well. Thanks.

What an incredible heroic act! So sad for his family.

So sad. this young man was on track, working toward a successful adulthood one day, and never got there. What an incredibly heroic, quick thinking act, shielding the girls.

I agree, I hope those young ladies don't carry the weight of his actions in a negative way but rather live full happy lives in order to honor the one lost.

RIP Zaevion

UBM

Yes, what a truly American story. Not sure such heroics would be required, anticipated or expected in any other location.

While I don't yet see why these girls should have the burden to dedicate their lives to anyone regarding the situation they were all placed in, including a burden and dedication to the young man who jumped in front of them while the all American ammo was flying, I'm sure I will someday.

Not enough guns in the right hands that night? Too many guns in the wrong hands that night? Idk.

I hope the 3 girls receive counselling for PTSD or any other disorder that could arise for them and learn to accept that someone chose to shield them from an accepted practice in their country, not knowing or comprehending in the moment what the outcome would be.

RIP Zaevion Dobson.

So, who shot Brandon Perry dead and wounded his mother Lisa? Should more retaliation be expected? And if retaliation occurs, more retaliation after that?

And one of the guys doing the shooting to vindicate his mother being shot at earlier; Was found dead in the car after being shot himself. Wth.

Maybe he should have called the police before doing a vigilante shooting at innocent people and others from other neighborhoods. Jmo

From last week:

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/leaders-gang-members-meet-to-stop-the-violence/9740323

At roughly 2 a.m. the following morning, on Dec. 18, Perry was tracked down by a number of unknown individuals and shot several times while driving his vehicle. He crashed it into an apartment and died a few hours later.

Police arrested his passenger Christopher Bassett, and charged him with being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and violation of probation. Authorities believe Bassett is connected to some of the shootings, and more charges are pending.

Police are still looking for Kipling Deshawn Colbert, Jr,, 20, whom they believe may have information about the shootings.

Really tragic, and the violence continues :(

​Tenn. boy, 12, shot dead after honoring slain cousin
A 12-year-old Tennessee boy was shot dead Saturday hours after he attended an anti-violence basketball game to honor his 15-year-old cousin who was killed in a December shooting, according to news reports.

Jajuan Hubert Latham died of a gunshot wound to the head after the shooting at a park in Knoxville just before 10 p.m., police said Sunday in a news release. There were at least 200 people gathered at the park for a cookout, reports CBS affiliate WVLT. Latham was reportedly in the back of his father's parked car when gunfire erupted between a group of people in the park and occupants of two passing vehicles, reports CBS affiliate WREG.

Police believe the shooting was gang-related.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-tennessee-boy-12-shot-dead-after-honoring-slain-cousin/

Two charged with murder in shooting death of Zaevion Dobson - August

Authorities have charged two men in connection to the fatal shooting of Zaevion Dobson, the former Fulton High School football player who died last December while shielding several of his friends from gunfire.

Christopher Bassett and Richard Gregory Williams III were each charged with first-degree murder, the Knox County District Attorney General's Office announced Thursday.

In addition, a grand jury indicted each of them with eight counts of attempted first degree murder and a string of firearm possession charges.

2 Knoxville girls forever grateful to Zaevion Dobson for saving their lives - July

The two girls are trying to move forward with their lives, forever changed after that tragic night. They carry a new responsibility because of the actions of their brave friend.

“I feel like I’ve got to do some things, just accomplish some things just because I got a second chance. Because what he did a lot of people wouldn’t do. Cause that was brave,” said Gordon.

“First graduate and then go to college and stuff and then try to go somewhere from Knox. I don’t want to be down here,” said Rucker. “I’m ready to move.”

We asked what they would say to Zaevion Dobson if they could.

“I would tell him thank you. I mean… I really don’t know, don’t know what I could say,” said Rucker.

“I don’t know, just got to make the best, keep his name alive and all that,” said Gordon.

Knoxville bridge dedicated in memory of Zaevion Dobson - October

Knoxville area leaders came together Friday night to dedicate a bridge in honor of teen hero Zaevion Dobson.

State Rep. Eddie Smith said he and local leaders, including former Rep. Joe Amrstrong, planned to name the bridge crossing Interstate 275 at Heiskell Avenue for Dobson. The ceremony took place at the beginning of halftime during the Fulton-West high school football game.

January hearing set in Zaevion Dobson murder case

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2016/12/09/zaevion-dobson-murder-suspects-due-court/95189880/

A status hearing for two men charged in the December 2015 shooting death of Fulton High School sophomore Zaevion Dobson has been reset to January.

Richard Gregory Williams, 22, and Christopher Drone Bassett Jr., 21, now are set to appear in Knox County Criminal Court on Jan. 19. The trial is scheduled to begin July 10.

Prosecutors requested the rescheduling during an appearance before Judge Steve Sword on Friday.

Death penalty, life without parole off the table in Zaevion Dobson murder case

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2017/02/24/zaevion-dobson-murder-suspects-back-knox-court/98345008/

A Dec. 9, 2016 deadline set by Criminal Court Judge Steve Sword to file an intent to seek enhanced punishment in the murder case quietly passed without a response from Knox County District Attorney General Charme Allen's office.

Tennessee law requires formal notice be filed by prosecutors whenever they seek either the death penalty or life without parole.

During Friday's status hearing, Sword set a March 31 filing deadline for defense attorneys in the case to submit any pretrial motions. He also set a May 31 deadline for all parties in the case to file any expert witness reports.

Williams and Bassett are set to return to court for their next status hearing April 28. Their trial is expected to begin July 10.

From last week:

Suspect in Zaevion Dobson slaying blames turf divide

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2017/04/28/suspect-zaevion-dobson-slaying-blames-turf-divide/100957806/

An innocent Knoxville teenager died for the same reason a 5-year-old was slain the same way 19 years ago - turf, video evidence presented in court Friday showed.

Zaevion Dobson, a promising football player at Fulton High School, was killed in December 2015 in a hail of bullets in Lonsdale, the same neighborhood where Brittany Daniels was gunned down while playing on the sidewalk in 1996. A hearing in Knox County Criminal Court Friday for one of the suspects in Dobson's death, Christopher Drone Bassett, 20, revealed that whatever the immediate cause of both deaths, the trigger was a decades-long claim of specific turf for those who call Lonsdale home and those who live in East Knoxville.

"East, West," Bassett nonchalantly said with a wave as Knoxville Police Department Investigator A.J. Loeffler pressed him for a cause.

Bassett gave extensive details of the high-profile Dobson slaying in a video of Loeffler's interrogation of him after Dobson was slain that was played in Judge Steve Sword's courtroom. Defense attorney T Scott Jones doesn't want jurors to see it. He says Bassett was drunk, had just watched his cousin get fatally shot and was in a car that crashed into a wall. He also accuses Loeffler of being a bit too crafty in his interrogation techniques. Prosecutors TaKisha Fitzgerald and Phil Morton disagree and contend Bassett was no stranger to his right to remain silent, with a string of arrests, mostly drugs and guns, but signed it away. Sword said he would rule later.

Man charged in Zaevion Dobson death sentenced for separate shooting

http://www.wbir.com/news/crime/man-charged-in-zaevion-dobson-death-sentenced-for-separate-shooting/442935931

A man charged in the death of Zaevion Dobson has been sentenced to 36 years in prison for attempted murder charges in a separate shooting.

Richard Gregory Williams, 22, was sentenced by Judge Steve Sword on Thursday.

Judge: Jurors can hear suspect's own words in the slaying of 15-year-old Zaevion Dobson

A Knox County judge this week turned aside a bid by a suspect in the high-profile shooting death of a Fulton High School teenager to keep jurors from hearing a statement prosecutors say put him at the scene with a gun in his hand.

Criminal Court Judge Steve Sword is rejecting Christopher Drone Bassett's claim that a statement he gave about his role in the December 2015 shooting death of Zaevion Dobson, a 15-year-old innocent victim in a feud between gang members, was made under duress.

Bassett is charged along with Richard Gregory Williams III, 22, with a slew of charges including felony murder in the Dobson slaying. Authorities suspect others in the fatal shooting but have been unable to mount a case against anyone except Bassett and Williams. Neither has been directly accused of firing the fatal shot.

Judge won't move Zaevion Dobson trial out of Knox County, will let jurors see rap video

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/crime/2017/11/15/zaevion-dobson-slaying-trial-stay-knox-county-judge-says/865109001/

Knox County Criminal Court Judge Steve Sword acknowledged Zaevion Dobson in death and his family in grief have garnered sympathy across the nation, with an ESPN documentary and the words of a sitting president dedicated to the 15-year-old Knoxville native’s memory.

But Sword opined none of that attention poisoned potential jurors in Knox County against the trio of 20-somethings accused in Dobson’s December 2015 death – Richard Gregory Williams III, Christopher Drone Bassett and Kipling Colbert Jr.

“Very little, if any, national coverage has been directed toward the defendants in this case,” Sword wrote.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back