1205 users online (205 members and 1000 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 81 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1203
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,258

    Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery

    Last edited by bessie; 01-08-2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added link to original thread

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    52
    I have watched the whole series already and highly recommend it. It is fantastic!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis Mo
    Posts
    85
    Wow. I am only four episodes in and had to stop for a bit. I can not believe how messed up this case is! I remember following the murder case here and just started to read the old threads. It is insane how different my opinion of Brendan Dassey is right now. I was on the bandwagon that most of this forum was on back then when the details first came out. I had no idea how messed up it was. The old thread is interesting to read though:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ct-2005/page32
    Last edited by bessie; 01-08-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: repaired link

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berkshires, MA
    Posts
    1,632

    I'm watching the 3rd on my phone right now

    while writing my Christmas cards or at least that's what I'm supposed to be doing. Messed up is right. I didn't know anything about this case and haven't read up on it as I want to just watch it first. Very well done so far IMO.




    Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic38 View Post
    Wow. I am only four episodes in and had to stop for a bit. I can not believe how messed up this case is! I remember following the murder case here and just started to read the old threads. It is insane how different my opinion of Brendan Dassey is right now. I was on the bandwagon that most of this forum was on back then when the details first came out. I had no idea how messed up it was. The old thread is interesting to read though:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?31696-WI-Teresa-Marie-Halbach-25-Manitowoc-31-Oct-2005/page32



    BOYTWNMOM
    Three things cannot long be hidden the sun, the moon, and the truth. -Confucious

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,308
    Just started it! Wow! Thanks for linking the old thread, gonna read over it for sure!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,949
    I just finished episode three. I was unfamiliar with this case before now. I'm hooked on this series! And totally unsure what to think. I have to leave my hotel room now and get on a cruise ship for seven days -- with no Netflix. Argh!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,647
    I had no prior knowledge of this case and I am on episode 9. It's good! After I'm finished I'm going to go read the thread (thanks for posting it, dontpanic!)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boca Baton, FL
    Posts
    586
    I'm binge-watching this show. It's awesome! I'd seen a Dateline-type show about this case a while ago but had no clue of just how convoluted the mess got.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X
    "He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it.
    ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

    My confession... I


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,647
    I've finished the series, and then I went to read the thread about it here. Didn't read the whole thing, but there were definitely things left out of the documentary like the fact that he purchased restraints just before the murder and he scheduled the appointment with Teresa using another name. (And that she had previously expressed discomfort going to the Avery residence.)

    Most problematic for me with regard to whether or not these two committed this crime is the lack of Teresa's DNA anywhere on the property or even on her own car key. These two don't seem smart enough to have cleaned up so well as to leave no trace evidence.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    between NOLA and Laffy
    Posts
    1,937
    I'm only about a few episodes in. After episode one, I thought okay maybe getting extremely screwed by a corrupt justice system ruined ultimately three lives. Then, by episode 4, I thought there's no way he did it. But really, who can you trust? I felt so bad for Brenden during the interrogation in episode 4 that I had to take a break. I'm picking it up again today/tonight.

    I think that Avery's lawyer, Rhea/Rhessa, his civil rights lawyers, and the one cousin Kim are the most trust worthy people thus far. The filmmakers literally got everything. It's even better than Serial imo. I wish Adnan Sayed had them on his side.

    Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by TTF14 View Post
    I've finished the series, and then I went to read the thread about it here. Didn't read the whole thing, but there were definitely things left out of the documentary like the fact that he purchased restraints just before the murder and he scheduled the appointment with Teresa using another name. (And that she had previously expressed discomfort going to the Avery residence.)
    I've just finished the series as well, and it is of course a very impressive presentation, after what must have been a painstaking 10-years of work. Well done.

    However, regardless of how long and *seemingly* near-comprehensive a series like this might be, there are of course always things left out. And I do wonder -- particularly since the filmmakers were in tight with the Avery family -- about possible things left out that may be less flattering to Steve Avery's claims of innocence regarding the murder of Teresa Halbach.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    My throat hurts from yelling at my TV. I do not believe Avery murdered this woman. They found the Rav 4 keys in his room. Guess who found it? Oh, why it was Lt Luenk and Sgt Colburn, the two officers who were involved in his original conviction. They are the ones who sat on a call from Brown County telling them that a man (Gregory Allen) had confessed to the rape and that Avery was in jail for it.

    Money always changes things. When the insurers decided not to cover the police department when they were sued by Avery for 36,000,000, someone took action to stop it.

    Halbach had done business with Avery several times in the past. She photographed cars from his salvage yard for Auto Trader. Now, say the police were on surveillance patrol and watching him around the clock (like they did with Gregory Allen), all they'd have to do is grab her as she was leaving his property. Avery himself mentioned that on his large acerage, people could come and go and he wouldn't notice. I don't imagine it would actually be that difficult to plant evidence if you were experienced in that field.

    They had access to his property many times after that. He allowed the volunteer search crews in his salvage yard. He allowed the police into his house. He then was kicked off his property for eight days.

    It seems almost unimaginable that police would do this, but hey, so does doing 18 years for a crime you didn't commit.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Adore View Post
    My throat hurts from yelling at my TV. I do not believe Avery murdered this woman. They found the Rav 4 keys in his room. Guess who found it? Oh, why it was Lt Luenk and Sgt Colburn, the two officers who were involved in his original conviction. They are the ones who sat on a call from Brown County telling them that a man (Gregory Allen) had confessed to the rape and that Avery was in jail for it.

    Money always changes things. When the insurers decided not to cover the police department when they were sued by Avery for 36,000,000, someone took action to stop it.

    Halbach had done business with Avery several times in the past. She photographed cars from his salvage yard for Auto Trader. Now, say the police were on surveillance patrol and watching him around the clock (like they did with Gregory Allen), all they'd have to do is grab her as she was leaving his property. Avery himself mentioned that on his large acerage, people could come and go and he wouldn't notice. I don't imagine it would actually be that difficult to plant evidence if you were experienced in that field.

    They had access to his property many times after that. He allowed the volunteer search crews in his salvage yard. He allowed the police into his house. He then was kicked off his property for eight days.

    It seems almost unimaginable that police would do this, but hey, so does doing 18 years for a crime you didn't commit.
    Do you think they just got lucky with Brendan, then? (I do think he was totally coerced and is probably innocent....not sure about Steve.)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by TTF14 View Post
    Do you think they just got lucky with Brendan, then? (I do think he was totally coerced and is probably innocent....not sure about Steve.)
    He was 16, low IQ, and said he said what he thought he was supposed to say.

    'Mr. Avery’s nephew Brendan Dassey, goaded into a confession by highly questionable tactics (which we see on tape), tells his mother that he was “guessing” what the interrogators wanted.

    “That’s what I do with my homework, too,” he adds.'

    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/17...n-netflix.html




    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    "There 's daggers in men's smiles". - William Shakespeare, Macbeth (Act II, Scene III).

    Maura Murray, missing since February 9, 2004.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Adore View Post
    He was 16, low IQ, and said he said what he thought he was supposed to say.

    'Mr. Avery’s nephew Brendan Dassey, goaded into a confession by highly questionable tactics (which we see on tape), tells his mother that he was “guessing” what the interrogators wanted.

    “That’s what I do with my homework, too,” he adds.'

    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/17...n-netflix.html




    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I agree, but did they just luck out when he came on their radar? I mean, if this was all set up, I doubt their original plan was to have TWO defendants.

Page 1 of 81 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2016, 01:15 AM
  2. Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery - #5
    By bessie in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 518
    Last Post: 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM
  3. Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery - #4
    By bessie in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 1257
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 11:35 AM
  4. Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery - #3
    By bessie in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 1109
    Last Post: 01-25-2016, 09:01 AM
  5. Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery - #2
    By TheDuchess in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 1162
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 05:44 PM

Tags for this Thread