Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched the whole series already and highly recommend it. It is fantastic!

Wow. I am only four episodes in and had to stop for a bit. I can not believe how messed up this case is! I remember following the murder case here and just started to read the old threads. It is insane how different my opinion of Brendan Dassey is right now. I was on the bandwagon that most of this forum was on back then when the details first came out. I had no idea how messed up it was. The old thread is interesting to read though:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Marie-Halbach-25-Manitowoc-31-Oct-2005/page32

while writing my Christmas cards or at least that's what I'm supposed to be doing. Messed up is right. I didn't know anything about this case and haven't read up on it as I want to just watch it first. Very well done so far IMO.

Wow. I am only four episodes in and had to stop for a bit. I can not believe how messed up this case is! I remember following the murder case here and just started to read the old threads. It is insane how different my opinion of Brendan Dassey is right now. I was on the bandwagon that most of this forum was on back then when the details first came out. I had no idea how messed up it was. The old thread is interesting to read though:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?31696-WI-Teresa-Marie-Halbach-25-Manitowoc-31-Oct-2005/page32

Just started it! Wow! Thanks for linking the old thread, gonna read over it for sure!

I just finished episode three. I was unfamiliar with this case before now. I'm hooked on this series! And totally unsure what to think. I have to leave my hotel room now and get on a cruise ship for seven days -- with no Netflix. Argh!!!

I had no prior knowledge of this case and I am on episode 9. It's good! After I'm finished I'm going to go read the thread (thanks for posting it, dontpanic!)

I'm binge-watching this show. It's awesome! I'd seen a Dateline-type show about this case a while ago but had no clue of just how convoluted the mess got.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I've finished the series, and then I went to read the thread about it here. Didn't read the whole thing, but there were definitely things left out of the documentary like the fact that he purchased restraints just before the murder and he scheduled the appointment with Teresa using another name. (And that she had previously expressed discomfort going to the Avery residence.)

Most problematic for me with regard to whether or not these two committed this crime is the lack of Teresa's DNA anywhere on the property or even on her own car key. These two don't seem smart enough to have cleaned up so well as to leave no trace evidence.

I'm only about a few episodes in. After episode one, I thought okay maybe getting extremely screwed by a corrupt justice system ruined ultimately three lives. Then, by episode 4, I thought there's no way he did it. But really, who can you trust? I felt so bad for Brenden during the interrogation in episode 4 that I had to take a break. I'm picking it up again today/tonight.

I think that Avery's lawyer, Rhea/Rhessa, his civil rights lawyers, and the one cousin Kim are the most trust worthy people thus far. The filmmakers literally got everything. It's even better than Serial imo. I wish Adnan Sayed had them on his side.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I've finished the series, and then I went to read the thread about it here. Didn't read the whole thing, but there were definitely things left out of the documentary like the fact that he purchased restraints just before the murder and he scheduled the appointment with Teresa using another name. (And that she had previously expressed discomfort going to the Avery residence.)

I've just finished the series as well, and it is of course a very impressive presentation, after what must have been a painstaking 10-years of work. Well done.

However, regardless of how long and *seemingly* near-comprehensive a series like this might be, there are of course always things left out. And I do wonder -- particularly since the filmmakers were in tight with the Avery family -- about possible things left out that may be less flattering to Steve Avery's claims of innocence regarding the murder of Teresa Halbach.

My throat hurts from yelling at my TV. I do not believe Avery murdered this woman. They found the Rav 4 keys in his room. Guess who found it? Oh, why it was Lt Luenk and Sgt Colburn, the two officers who were involved in his original conviction. They are the ones who sat on a call from Brown County telling them that a man (Gregory Allen) had confessed to the rape and that Avery was in jail for it.

Money always changes things. When the insurers decided not to cover the police department when they were sued by Avery for 36,000,000, someone took action to stop it.

Halbach had done business with Avery several times in the past. She photographed cars from his salvage yard for Auto Trader. Now, say the police were on surveillance patrol and watching him around the clock (like they did with Gregory Allen), all they'd have to do is grab her as she was leaving his property. Avery himself mentioned that on his large acerage, people could come and go and he wouldn't notice. I don't imagine it would actually be that difficult to plant evidence if you were experienced in that field.

They had access to his property many times after that. He allowed the volunteer search crews in his salvage yard. He allowed the police into his house. He then was kicked off his property for eight days.

It seems almost unimaginable that police would do this, but hey, so does doing 18 years for a crime you didn't commit.

My throat hurts from yelling at my TV. I do not believe Avery murdered this woman. They found the Rav 4 keys in his room. Guess who found it? Oh, why it was Lt Luenk and Sgt Colburn, the two officers who were involved in his original conviction. They are the ones who sat on a call from Brown County telling them that a man (Gregory Allen) had confessed to the rape and that Avery was in jail for it.

Money always changes things. When the insurers decided not to cover the police department when they were sued by Avery for 36,000,000, someone took action to stop it.

Halbach had done business with Avery several times in the past. She photographed cars from his salvage yard for Auto Trader. Now, say the police were on surveillance patrol and watching him around the clock (like they did with Gregory Allen), all they'd have to do is grab her as she was leaving his property. Avery himself mentioned that on his large acerage, people could come and go and he wouldn't notice. I don't imagine it would actually be that difficult to plant evidence if you were experienced in that field.

They had access to his property many times after that. He allowed the volunteer search crews in his salvage yard. He allowed the police into his house. He then was kicked off his property for eight days.

It seems almost unimaginable that police would do this, but hey, so does doing 18 years for a crime you didn't commit.

Do you think they just got lucky with Brendan, then? (I do think he was totally coerced and is probably innocent....not sure about Steve.)

Do you think they just got lucky with Brendan, then? (I do think he was totally coerced and is probably innocent....not sure about Steve.)
He was 16, low IQ, and said he said what he thought he was supposed to say.

'Mr. Avery’s nephew Brendan Dassey, goaded into a confession by highly questionable tactics (which we see on tape), tells his mother that he was “guessing” what the interrogators wanted.

“That’s what I do with my homework, too,” he adds.'

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/1...-making-a-murderer-true-crime-on-netflix.html

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

He was 16, low IQ, and said he said what he thought he was supposed to say.

'Mr. Avery’s nephew Brendan Dassey, goaded into a confession by highly questionable tactics (which we see on tape), tells his mother that he was “guessing” what the interrogators wanted.

“That’s what I do with my homework, too,” he adds.'

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/1...-making-a-murderer-true-crime-on-netflix.html

I agree, but did they just luck out when he came on their radar? I mean, if this was all set up, I doubt their original plan was to have TWO defendants.

I mean, Manitowoc County Sheriffs Dept was not supposed to be on that crime screen, whatsoever. And here we find out they were on scene for several days. They also hid him from his lawyer the first day they arrested him. This case is a mess, just like the first one.

I agree, but did they just luck out when he came on their radar? I mean, if this was all set up, I doubt their original plan was to have TWO defendants.
Hard to say. Maybe when they started talking to him, they found a weakness in him and just kept going. They interviewed everyone in the family.

It's just bizarre to me. He had just spent 18 years in prison and was going for a million dollar payout. He said he was wary of Manitowoc County coming after him.

However, regardless of how long and *seemingly* near-comprehensive a series like this might be, there are of course always things left out.

For instance -- just looking over the original case thread here at Websleuths, and there is reference made to Brendan's mother allegedly having asked Brendan about stains on his jeans, which Brendan then supposedly claimed had come from helping Steve Avery bleach the garage floor. IIRC this allegation is not mentioned in the MaM series.

Indeed the allegation is part of the official criminal complaint against Brendan Dassey.

bleach stains.jpg

"On February 27, 2006, your complainant spoke with [Brendan's mother] Barb Janda. Barb Janda stated on October 31, 2005, when Brendan Dassey returned from Steven Avery's residence, Dassey had bleach stains on his jeans. Barb Janda asked Dassey what happened to his jeans, he told her that his jeans were bleached while he was helping Steven Avery clean his garage floor with bleach. On March 1, 2006, Investigator Wiegert recovered the jeans worn by Dassey on October 31, 2005. Investigator Wiegert noted that the jeans contained bleach spots and other stains."

For instance -- just looking over the original case thread here at Websleuths, and there is reference made to Brendan's mother allegedly having asked Brendan about stains on his jeans, which Brendan then supposedly claimed had come from helping Steve Avery bleach the garage floor. IIRC this allegation is not mentioned in the MaM series.

Indeed the allegation is part of the official criminal complaint against Brendan Dassey.

View attachment 85977

Definitely left out of the documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members