784 users online (108 members and 676 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1160
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeJudi View Post
    GN: And it was definitely not two double taps?
    OP: That is correct, M'Lady.
    GN: Why would Mr Roux think and put to Mangena, Captain Mangena that you fired two double taps?
    OP: I am not sure, M'Lady. But that is what he put to Mr Mangena and in the first break I corrected him and said to him that it was not a double tap.
    GN: But before we go to you correcting him, why would he say that?
    OP: I am not sure, M'Lady.
    GN: No.. it is impossible. Mr Roux will not say something, forget the correction. Mr Roux will not put something to a witness that is not your version. Why would he say two double taps?
    OP: M'Lady, the only explanation I could think off (sic), is that when we spoke about training in firearm training, you fire… you learn to fire two shots, which is in a double tap. It is called a double tap. And I think that maybe Mr Roux put that to Mr Mangena. I cannot say why he did it, but I corrected him [indistinct 12:44:42]
    GN: You see, he went further. He said to Mr Mangena that it is your version that you fired two double taps. It was not that, ‘Is it possible?’ He put it as a version.
    OP: I understand that, M'Lady.
    COURT: Mr Nel, he has answered. He cannot say. All he knows is that he corrected Mr Roux.
    GN: May I ask a follow-up question then. The only reason why he would do that, is if you told him. He would not do it any other way.OP: That is incorrect, M'Lady. I did not say that. I did not tell Mister… I have not tell (sic) Mr Roux that I had fired a double tap at any point.


    Counsel DO NOT make incorrect statements like this. They only ever put what their client has instructed them. As wily and as cunning as the Silver Fox is, his client, IMO, was always going to say, and did say, exactly what he wanted to despite Roux's best endeavours.
    This was such a great moment during trial - Nel had Oscar and Roux brilliantly cornered - and right on cue, Masipa shuts it down.
    Visit my blog at: www.juror13lw.wordpress.com

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeJudi View Post
    I totally agree with you Paul. Roux is no fool. He must have known OP was guilty, and if so, his duty was to ensure he got a fair trial, not to try and get him off. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I have no respect for him at all. He is a "gun for hire". Nel has beaten him twice thus far in huge trials, the other one being Selebi. As my grandfather used to say, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it".
    Judge, I love your grandfather!

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hiding in the Vatican Catacombs covertly
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by lisasalinger View Post
    Really fantastic post, Paul!
    Thanks Lisa, that means a lot coming from you.

    TBH I've always believed since the trial that Pistorius was/is a "narcopath" A sociopath with narcissistic tendencies. I loved your book Fugitive and the work you did looking in his narcissism. It crystallised other research I'd read on the psychological/psychiatric aspects.

    I believe Masipa and Henzen Du Toit were his victims too. Another two empaths who, like Reeva, were lambs to the slaughter. Oscar and Roux played them like a Stradivarius. What is terrifying is how two seemingly powerful, educated women could fall victim to such devious play acting.

    The truth is empaths and apaths are easy prey to such narcopaths no matter what their gender, race or background. The outcry for and against Masipa during and after the trial has sadly detracted from the real truth which is Pistorius is an extremely dangerous and manipulative sociopath from whom society needs protecting not just for 5, 10, 15 years but until he is so old he is rendered physically incapable of preying on another innocent.

    There are a multitude of reasons why he should be locked up but his murderous, reckless, unconscionable nature and resulting danger to society is the greatest.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Up Nel's Arse
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by lisasalinger View Post
    This was such a great moment during trial - Nel had Oscar and Roux brilliantly cornered - and right on cue, Masipa shuts it down.
    So bizarre.

    I don't understand why the Judge did not require clarification from counsel on this point.

    Why did Roux ask this question if it was not to be OPs version? He mislead the Court and the witness - so he should have been required to explain himself.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hiding in the Vatican Catacombs covertly
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjitty View Post
    So bizarre.

    I don't understand why the Judge did not require clarification from counsel on this point.

    Why did Roux ask this question if it was not to be OPs version? He mislead the Court and the witness - so he should have been required to explain himself.
    If Nel had for some reason misled the Court and a witness you can be sure she'd have sought clarification. Therein lies the answer! Bias, cognitive dissonance, prejudging...

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Connelly View Post
    If Nel had for some reason misled the Court and a witness you can be sure she'd have sought clarification. Therein lies the answer! Bias, cognitive dissonance, prejudging...
    But on the other hand Roux got away with it. When Mrs Burger stuck to her guns that she heard a woman screaming and not Pistorius, Roux said to the court he would call an expert witness at some point during the trial who would testify that Pistorius screams like a woman when he is anxious.

    No such witness was ever called which can only lead one to conclude there never was such a person. In fact Roux was deliberately trying to mislead and intimidate Mrs Burger by making her believe an ‘expert’ would contradict her evidence and therefore throw doubt in her mind.

    Masipa should have jumped on the misleading of Mrs Burger when it was apparent this was a case of the ‘expert who never was’ but instead she herself without the need of expert opinion also believed he could scream like a woman. Unbelievable!

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hiding in the Vatican Catacombs covertly
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion View Post
    But on the other hand Roux got away with it. When Mrs Burger stuck to her guns that she heard a woman screaming and not Pistorius, Roux said to the court he would call an expert witness at some point during the trial who would testify that Pistorius screams like a woman when he is anxious.

    No such witness was ever called which can only lead one to conclude there never was such a person. In fact Roux was deliberately trying to mislead and intimidate Mrs Burger by making her believe an ‘expert’ would contradict her evidence and therefore throw doubt in her mind.

    Masipa should have jumped on the misleading of Mrs Burger when it was apparent this was a case of the ‘expert who never was’ but instead she herself without the need of expert opinion also believed he could scream like a woman. Unbelievable!
    Indeed, shockingly so.

    She's a disgrace to her fellow judges and her countrymen. I don't buy all this nonsense about criticism of Masipa is borne out of the inherent racism, elitist snobbery and misogyny prevalent in post-apartheid South Africa.

    I have no truck with any of the 3 and as an Irishman living in England no subconscious prejudice against a poor, black woman judge. On the contrary I'd positively applaud it but Masipa was an unmitigated disaster and I have no reservations in saying that.

    I don't have any of the emotional baggage many South Africans carry from both sides of the racial divide. To me the White, privileged, highly educated Roux was a shyster who shamed and prostituted his profession and Masipa was a gullible, naive, biased, emotionally compromised idiot who threw out her reputation alongside her objectivity. I'm appalled by the pair of them.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Connelly View Post
    Indeed, shockingly so.

    She's a disgrace to her fellow judges and her countrymen. I don't buy all this nonsense about criticism of Masipa is borne out of the inherent racism, elitist snobbery and misogyny prevalent in post-apartheid South Africa.

    I have no truck with any of the 3 and as an Irishman living in England no subconscious prejudice against a poor, black woman judge. On the contrary I'd positively applaud it but Masipa was an unmitigated disaster and I have no reservations in saying that.

    I don't have any of the emotional baggage many South Africans carry from both sides of the racial divide. To me the White, privileged, highly educated Roux was a shyster who shamed and prostituted his profession and Masipa was a gullible, naive, biased, emotionally compromised idiot who threw out her reputation alongside her objectivity. I'm appalled by the pair of them.
    I'm pleased to meet someone who feels exactly the same way I do.

    The shock and injustice of all of this doesn't lessen over time, it actually increases with the expectation that still exists, now in the form of an appeal. It is absolute rot.

    And they are fools not to know it, because it undermines everything Pistorius desires. With every deluded step he makes, he pushes his goal further and further away. Actually I'm not even sure of that, because I think he may be mentally incurable.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,282
    RSBM
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion View Post
    The most reasonable explanation for the .38 ammunition in his safe was that he had a firearm of that calibre on order and he bought some ammunition for it before he was licensed to do so. Illegal, yes, but not a big deal, probably happens a lot in places like SA and who’s to know if it is in a safe.

    So, Pistorius should have just admitted he chanced his luck and unfortunately got caught. However, that would have meant accepting responsibility which of course is an anathema to him. So instead he spins a story so ridiculous that he might just as well have said it was aliens who transported it into his safe.

    Pistorius said he was ‘looking after’ the ammunition which belonged to his father, Henke, who he didn’t speak to and who would not admit to owning it. A father who lived at the time in Port Elizabeth some 800 miles away who just happened to be driving past Pistorius’ house when he was away and just decided, for no apparent reason, to pop into the house, and put some ammunition in the safe. There was no obvious admission at the trial that his father had a key to the house or a combination to the safe.

    Would have been so much easier to have told the truth and accepted responsibility. However, as we know Pistorius is hard wired to do neither
    His lying was unnecessary and I'm sure Roux would have explained to him the consequences of being found guilty of the two further offences (the illegal possession of the ammo and shooting through the sunroof). Sentences for these would have run concurrently with whatever he received for killing Reeva. This is the usual practice for lesser offences. I can explain why if anyone doesn't understand the reason for this.

    Regarding his lying, this is from Sam Taylor's mother, Trish.

    "Another discovery I soon made about Oscar was that he could fabricate the truth as easily as most people breathed. Our family always made sure we were together for Christmas and 2011 was no different. By mid-December, the whole family was in our new home in Somerset West near Cape Town. Oscar had hired a house not far away for himself and his best friends from Boxing Day, so I invited him to come down earlier to spend Christmas with Sammy and the rest of us.

    He demurred, saying he couldn’t come down any earlier, as he had training commitments.

    It was heartbreaking to hear later that he’d had the worst Christmas Day ever, all on his own and really missing his mum. He told us that for lunch he went down to the petrol station nearby and bought himself two pies.

    Some time later, however, he told us how he had celebrated Christmas with the family of his best friend Alex and they had all had a wonderful day. He was oblivious to the fact he had told us a completely different story a little while earlier".

    He's a compulsive liar and in all probability this won't change no matter how much psychotherapy he receives. With few exceptions, most compulsive liars aren’t able to be helped because first, they feel they have no reason to change, and second, they have no desire to be helped.

    http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/...friend/189483/

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Connelly View Post
    Indeed, shockingly so.

    She's a disgrace to her fellow judges and her countrymen. I don't buy all this nonsense about criticism of Masipa is borne out of the inherent racism, elitist snobbery and misogyny prevalent in post-apartheid South Africa.

    I have no truck with any of the 3 and as an Irishman living in England no subconscious prejudice against a poor, black woman judge. On the contrary I'd positively applaud it but Masipa was an unmitigated disaster and I have no reservations in saying that.

    I don't have any of the emotional baggage many South Africans carry from both sides of the racial divide. To me the White, privileged, highly educated Roux was a shyster who shamed and prostituted his profession and Masipa was a gullible, naive, biased, emotionally compromised idiot who threw out her reputation alongside her objectivity. I'm appalled by the pair of them.
    In respect of Masipa's competence having discovered that it was her alone who chose the assessors I had great unease over her choice when more about them became known.

    Given that this was going to be a televised high profile trial to the extent that the SA justice system would be on display to the world one would have expected the assessors to be at least persons with extensive legal background and experience.

    So I was shocked to read about the male assessor Masipa had chosen - Themba Mazibuko

    In general the most common phrase used in the media was ‘little is known about him’

    After some delving the best I could ascertain was that Mazibuko was ‘fresh out of university’ and had never ‘played an active role in a court’ until the Pistorius trial.

    I cannot understand to this day why Masipa should put such a young inexperienced person into a role where in the eyes of the world he had enough power to partly decide Pistorius’ fate.

    Perhaps in a moment of madness her previous social worker background came to the fore and she decided to show the world what fantastic job experience opportunities black college kids get in SA.

    Whatever her ‘reasoning’ I would suggest at the outset it showed the world just how she was capable of making irrational decisions – a trait which then followed her through the trial itself.
    Last edited by Belgarion; 12-22-2015 at 04:55 AM.


  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Posts
    5,550
    I'll bet OP basks in the fact that all the experts and arm chair detectives argue about who is right - and he alone knows the truth and will never confess to anyone.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    7,308
    Quote Originally Posted by lisasalinger View Post
    This was such a great moment during trial - Nel had Oscar and Roux brilliantly cornered - and right on cue, Masipa shuts it down.
    Agree. Massipa was like the fake referees that you see in WWE wrestling. The ref knows who is going to win. But once a wrestler gets hurt. The referee is in charge of backing down the other wrestler until the hurt wrestler can get his strength back in order to declare him victor later due to the ref turning a blind eye at the right premeditated time. Jmo
    You can fool some of the people some of the time; But guess what? The Bus Stops Here (Life No Parole/ Don't Pass Go: Don't Collect Your $200)

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hiding in the Vatican Catacombs covertly
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion View Post
    In respect of Masipa's competence having discovered that it was her alone who chose the assessors I had great unease over her choice when more about them became known.

    Given that this was going to be a televised high profile trial to the extent that the SA justice system would be on display to the world one would have expected the assessors to be at least persons with extensive legal background and experience.

    So I was shocked to read about the male assessor Masipa had chosen - Themba Mazibuko

    In general the most common phrase used in the media was ‘little is known about him’

    After some delving the best I could ascertain was that Mazibuko was ‘fresh out of university’ and had never ‘played an active role in a court’ until the Pistorius trial.

    I cannot undertand to this day why Masipa should put such a young inexperienced person into a role where in the eyes of the world he had enough power to partly decide Pistorius’ fate.

    Perhaps in a moment of madness her previous social worker background came to the fore and she decided to show the world what fantastic job experience opportunities black college kids get in SA.

    Whatever her ‘reasoning’ I would suggest at the outset it showed the world just how she was capable of making irrational decisions – a trait which then followed her through the trial itself.
    BIB: I don't think it was irrational. With what we now know the most obvious answer is she prejudged the trial or she was compromised in some other manner. She knew what she wanted and she picked the assessors to assist her.

    If what you say about the judge's right to pick their own assessors is true, it makes a mockery of the fact the judge can be overruled by her assessors. Talk about preemption! Thank God we have juries in this country.
    Last edited by Paul Connelly; 12-22-2015 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typo

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by FromGermany View Post
    I'll bet OP basks in the fact that all the experts and arm chair detectives argue about who is right - and he alone knows the truth and will never confess to anyone.
    …… or as he says ‘he and God know the truth’ That would be of course his version of ‘God’ a sort of ‘God for all Seasons’ to suit Pistorius’ needs

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion View Post
    But on the other hand Roux got away with it. When Mrs Burger stuck to her guns that she heard a woman screaming and not Pistorius, Roux said to the court he would call an expert witness at some point during the trial who would testify that Pistorius screams like a woman when he is anxious.

    No such witness was ever called which can only lead one to conclude there never was such a person. In fact Roux was deliberately trying to mislead and intimidate Mrs Burger by making her believe an ‘expert’ would contradict her evidence and therefore throw doubt in her mind.

    Masipa should have jumped on the misleading of Mrs Burger when it was apparent this was a case of the ‘expert who never was’ but instead she herself without the need of expert opinion also believed he could scream like a woman. Unbelievable!
    BIB, this is not correct and not the only conclusion to be drawn.

    Roux made it clear that it was not necessary to play any audio tapes of screams because the sound expert that they called was able to address all of the questions that were raised.

Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #70 *Appeal Verdict*
    By Coldpizza in forum Oscar Pistorius
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 04:32 PM
  2. Replies: 1022
    Last Post: 12-19-2015, 08:49 AM
  3. Replies: 1157
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 08:29 AM
  4. Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #63 ~ the appeal~
    By KateB in forum Oscar Pistorius
    Replies: 1079
    Last Post: 08-19-2015, 08:07 PM
  5. Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #62 ~ the appeal~
    By KateB in forum Oscar Pistorius
    Replies: 1087
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 09:28 PM

Tags for this Thread