1469 users online (249 members and 1220 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Kansas is 5th state where lottery prizes may have been fixed

"IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The former security chief for a national group that operates state lotteries personally bought two prize-winning tickets in Kansas worth $44,000, investigators said Monday, bringing to five the number of states where he may have fixed games to enrich himself and associates.

Investigators recently linked the winning 2010 Kansas tickets to Eddie Tipton, former security director of the Multi-State Lottery Association, Iowa assistant attorney general Rob Sand disclosed in court documents. The evidence will show that Tipton associates who claimed the prizes returned half of the money in cash directly to him in early 2011, he wrote..."

http://qctimes.com/entertainment/kan...f9bf22690.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do children have a right to be loved?

"Surely every child on Earth should be loved. That seems obvious. But is that a human right? Many international declarations adopt this view. The 1989 Declaration on the Rights of the Child in Israel, for instance, states that every child has ‘the right to a family life – to nourishment, suitable housing, protection, love and understanding’; the 1979 Declaration of the Rights of Mozambican Children claims that they have ‘the right to grow up in a climate of peace and security, surrounded by love and understanding’; and the 1951 Children’s Charter of Japan asserts that they shall be ‘entitled to be brought up in their own homes with proper love’....

Yet, there can be a lingering worry here. Does this mean that children who feel unloved by their parents could accuse them of denying their human rights? .."

https://aeon.co/opinions/do-children...4a0f3-68895113
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better babies

"The long and peculiar history of the designer human, from Plato’s citizen breeders to Nobel sperm banks and beyond.."

https://aeon.co/essays/the-dream-of-...4ba1e-68895113
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made to order

"Parents already put their children under intense pressure to compete in the world. Will gene editing make it worse?..."

https://aeon.co/essays/can-parents-b...bf229-68895113
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Designer cells' reverse one-year-old's cancer

"One-year-old Layla Richards, from London, had incurable aggressive leukaemia only five months ago.

Doctors used "designer immune cells" to fight the cancer and say her improvement was "almost a miracle".

It is too soon to know if she has been cured, but her progress already marks a huge moment for the field...

Now, just months after her family was told she had incurable cancer, Layla is not only alive, but has no trace of leukaemia in her body....

"The only way we will find out if this is a cure is by waiting that one or two years, but even having got this far from where we were is a major, major step."..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34731498
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by YESorNO; 12-22-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    ----------------------

Travis Alexander (1977-2008)

Teghan Alyssa Skiba (RIP sweet baby)
    -------------------------
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. - Ian MacLaren

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it - Flannery O'connor

Putting a price on the '12 Days of Christmas'

2015 GIFT PRICES

The PNC Christmas Price Index® shows the current cost of one set of each of the gifts given in the song
    "The Twelve Days of Christmas."

"...TOTAL CHRISTMAS PRICE INDEX
    $34,130.99 (+0.6%)

TRUE COST OF CHRISTMAS IN SONG
    $155,407.18 +0.6%

(Cumulative cost of all the gifts when you count each repetition in the song — 364 gifts).."

https://www.pncchristmaspriceindex.com/cpi/#giftprices
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Health Consequences of Actually Living the 12 Days of Christmas
    All that milking. Would you even survive?

"For a song that’s on heavy rotation in malls and soft-rock stations this time of year, the “Twelve Days of Christmas” has surprisingly mysterious origins.

It was first published in England in 1780 as a nursery rhyme in the book Mirth Without Mischief, but that rendition might have been predated by an even earlier French version. The song wasn't set to the tune we now know it by (gooooold riiiiiings!) until 1909, by the composer Frederic Austin. A rendition from as late as 1908 includes the lines, “12 bulls a-roaring” and “11 bears a-baiting.” Sweet dreams, kids!..

...here is your 12-days-of-Christmas diet, should you choose to celebrate this year like an 18th-century British villager:.."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...istmas/282313/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------

Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. - Ian MacLaren

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it - Flannery O'connor

Tony-Winning Actress Patricia Elliott Dies at 77

"NEW YORK (AP) — Patricia Elliott, who won a Tony Award on her Broadway musical debut and went on to star opposite David Bowie in The Elephant Man and spend 23 years aboard the ABC soap opera One Life to Live, has died. She was 77.

Elliott died of cancer Sunday at her home in Manhattan, according to her niece, Sally Fay..."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...elliott-850585

Link: http://cdn3.thr.com/sites/default/fi...-528303711.jpg

RIP
    ----------------------

New interview with Laurence:

L. Kirk Nurmi ‏@_nurmilaw Dec 20
    Attached is a link to my interview with @MacandGaydos and @monicalindstrom

http://ktar.com/player/?a=317644
    ----------------------

----------------------

Johnny Carson 1988 interview 105 year old woman from Kansas

----------------------

Kangaroo farts not environmentally friendly after all

Kangaroos do produce less methane than cows, but new research shows they aren’t the potential solution to global warming that scientists had hoped.

"Kangaroos can no longer feel smug about their flatulence. Traditionally, it’s been thought that the animals produce unusually low amounts of methane when they pass gas. Since livestock farts (I’m looking at you, cows) make up a lot of our global greenhouse gas emissions, that would make kangaroos potential lifesavers in the global warming department. Scientists had hoped that there might be some secret cocktail of microbes in their gut that made their emissions so delicate — perhaps one that could be given to cattle to make their farts less harmful...

No kangaroos could be reached for comment, but we imagine they’re wildly offended."

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...after-all.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link: http://lewisvilletexan.com/xoops/upl...49f3d3d5e5.jpg
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by GigiG View Post
    Checked off my list today, Monday, 12/21:

1. Beverage shopping: Yes, it requires a separate trip. Very few grocery stores around here sell beer and wine. Plus, those bottles are HEAVY!

2. Annual charitable donations. It takes a lot of effort to get stuff together (and again, that stuff is HEAVY), but it's worth it for the tax deduction. More than that, it's a gift to myself to get stuff outta here! Purging feels sooo good...

My list for tomorrow, Tuesday, 12/22:

1. Food shopping: Going in with my finely honed "master list." I will take my time to make sure I get everything I need the first time around. I will leave non-perishables in the trunk of my car (because that stuff is HEAVY)!

2. Tuesday is trash night, so being that this is Christmas week, I will be extra careful to throw out everything that even looks like trash, to include cleaning out the fridge to make room for the stuff for Christmas dinner. I have no doubt that that stuff will also be HEAVY. But it will be nice to have a clean slate.

My list for Wednesday, 12/23:

1. Go back to the store to get all the things I forgot to buy.

2. Search for the vacuum and decent table linens, etc. (I really should remember to put those once-a-year things away in a more obvious place...)

My list for Thursday, 12/24:

1. Bring in all that (HEAVY) stuff from my trunk. Figure out where I'm going to put everything. Make cookies? (maybe/maybe not/okay, probably yes)

2. Collapse from exhaustion and have nightmares about either, a) burning an $80 roast or, b) burning down my entire house.

My list for Friday, 12/25:

For some odd reason, I consider this is to be my favorite day of the year. I will wake up early and make a big breakfast which we'll enjoy as we open presents. Shortly thereafter, I'll start prepping Christmas dinner. It will keep me busy all day long. I will ask myself if I'm a masochist, and wonder why I do this to myself year after year. I will swear that this is the last time, and that I'll never do it again.

Then, as family and friends gather around the table and everyone starts to eat the feast I created, I'll realize that there's no greater reward than to see the people I love enjoying a meal that I made; made for no other reason than that I love them and want to make them happy.
    You certainly are a busy

Enjoy it- you may not always be so busy and you might miss it one day.
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    I think I want to buy this horse. I am officially nuts. Certifiable. Isn't she pretty though? 3 yo Thoroughbred filly off the track who didn't like to race. I could breed her...

Attachment 86033

That is such a beautiful horse!!!

- think you better think twice as your DH might sell you if you buy another horse.
    ----------------------

Link: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...53f2281226.jpg
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Rain is much better than snow tho' )
    ----------------------

aYes/No, you gave me lots of smiles today!
    -- I love Burl Ives, great song pick.
    -- ROFL on your advice to Zuri if she buys another horse
    -- Old Man Winter skipped out on us this year.... I'm taking up a collection so he can travel again next year.
    -- Kangaroo and cow flatulence? Who knew?

And I skipped Nurmi's latest interview. I've had enough of him for now.

Coffeej must still be sick. I do hope they have seen a doctor. Be well, Coffee!

Niner --- Merry Christmas to you and yours. I hope it is an specially nice one. Think of you and your DH often.
    Nore .... sending hugs, hope you are doing better.
    Bernina--- I do hope this is her best Christmas yet..... the best is going to get better from here on.

Dmacky.... Hope you are doing better. Hatfield.... no more feeling down, sending smiles your way. Daisymae....special wishes for you to have a healthier and easier year ahead.

And for all I have missed, I love every one of you special peeps! What a gift WS has given me.
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by YESorNO View Post

That is such a beautiful horse!!!

- think you better think twice as your DH might sell you if you buy another horse.
    This is exactly what would happen so no horse for me. Yet. The barn door is always open lol.

I just remembered something else Nurmi said in his interview with King Jordan. He backtracked on saying anything against Wilnott or Juan. He made an inference about Juan, but wanted the trial watchers and audience to draw their own conclusions. He said it would be unethical to make any comments...

Morning all. Merry Holidays and Happy Christmas.

The Chipmunks were at the #1 position on the music charts on this day in 1958 as Alvin, Simon, and Theodore sang with David Seville. The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don’t Be Late), the novelty tune that topped the charts for a month, is still a Christmas favorite today...

All opinions expressed by me on Websleuths are my very own thoughts, not yours, and are to stay on this website

OK, for all that need a good cry. Men don't understand a good cry. If they did they'd have one once in a awhile.

All opinions expressed by me on Websleuths are my very own thoughts, not yours, and are to stay on this website

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast