OR - Christopher & Tammy Nickel for starving adopted 9yo girl, Salem, 2003

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A Marion County Circuit Court judge on Friday found a Salem couple guilty of nearly starving to death a child they adopted from the state foster care system.

Tammy and Christopher Nickel, both 33, did not visibly react as they were convicted of three counts each of felony criminal mistreatment for withholding medical treatment and for failing to provide adequate and necessary physical care to their adopted daughter, Kayla.

The girl weighed less than 27 pounds when she was removed from their home in December 2003, a month before her 10th birthday.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1127559384271250.xml&coll=7

This is so horrible. Why would anyone do this? To satisfy what need? We need a permanent shrink to unravel some of the things we read about.

Linda7NJ said:
MAX. 5 YEARS?

WTF??????????????

I can't believe that's the most they can get. Also, they returned their biological son to them after 5 months. Why?

These are crazy people, a threat to society. They should spend their 5 years in jail and be retained in a mental institution for the rest of their lives.

Are these people not screened, how is this happening more and more to adopted children......do the parents see them as "disposible" because they don't want them anymore and can't give them back.......

I really don't see how people cannot notice if a child is starving, what about family and friends, are they bloodly blind. What about neighbours, anyone......are they dumb and blind.

This ticks me off so much.........starving to death is painfull and even more so for a child.

5 years.......please......

The foster parents of a 9-year-old girl who weighed just 27 pounds when she was taken into state custody two years ago were each sentenced to three years in prison on Monday.

In addition to the three-year sentence, the couple will also be required to have post-prison supervision for 24 months after their release.
http://www.katu.com/stories/80771.html

Just three years jail time. :banghead:

It's like even the courts think that children aren't really people. This was a long, pro-longed, tortureous treatment. This definitely doesn't seem like enough time. I've seen people get longer for 'possession.' :rolleyes:

JMHO
fran

I don't understand the sentence, or the defense using the argument that they aren't evil because their 11 year old biological child is fine. That just means they only starved the non biological child. Is that supposed to be ok?

I was glad to see this:

Meanwhile, Kayla has responded to improved care. In the year after she left the Nickels' home, she grew six inches and put on 54 pounds.

I hope she goes on to have a happy life. Kudos to her for testifying.

The child was so small, so undernourished, so medically ill that she was completely at your mercy," Judge Joseph Guimond with the Marion County Circuit Court told the couple. "She was going to die and you were going to let it happen."
Kayla, who is now 11 years old, testified during the trial that when she became thirsty, she drank from the toilet. She also testified that after she tried to sneak a piece of pizza, her adoptive father held a gun to her head and threatened to kill her.

They should have been tried on attempted murder.This judge is a threat to society.I cant believe they only got 3 years.:furious:

aussiegran said:
The child was so small, so undernourished, so medically ill that she was completely at your mercy," Judge Joseph Guimond with the Marion County Circuit Court told the couple. "She was going to die and you were going to let it happen."
Kayla, who is now 11 years old, testified during the trial that when she became thirsty, she drank from the toilet. She also testified that after she tried to sneak a piece of pizza, her adoptive father held a gun to her head and threatened to kill her.

They should have been tried on attempted murder.This judge is a threat to society.I cant believe they only got 3 years.:furious:
I agree.
We need laws that say to judges "If you let someone off lightly & they repeat offend then you have to share whatever penalty they are due for the second offense."

SewingDeb said:
I can't believe that's the most they can get. Also, they returned their biological son to them after 5 months. Why?

Because that is the way our judicial system works or doesn't work!

If the little girl had died they might have gotten 6 yrs each! I think their sentence should have been even longer then seemed logical for a crime like this because they adopted that little girl. You adopt children because you want them...you want to give them a home filled with love and security. The adoption just makes this crime that much uglier in my book.

They almost starve this little girl to death and then the system turns around and hands them back their bio child. What will the good ole CPS have to say when their own child ends up dead or starving to death? It really is sickening.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back