1225 users online (222 members and 1003 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UT - Salt Lake City, WhtFem UP6947, 20-40, handmade clothing, Sep'86

Police share details of 29-year-old 'cold case,' ask for help

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=378...s_cid=queue-17

SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake police detectives are making another attempt to identify the badly decomposed remains of a woman found 29 years ago in a sewage canal.

The only clues left today are a homemade dress, a homemade white blouse, jeans, a watch, a ring and a bracelet. Because of the style of dress, Salt Lake homicide detective Hilary Gordon believes there's a good chance the woman was a member of the Fundamentalist LDS Church.

But no women were reported missing from the FLDS community in 1986, and Gordon isn't sure the group's members would have reported a missing woman back then.
    The woman is believed to have been white, between 20 and 40 years old, 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing about 115 pounds. The body did not have any hair left when it was found.

Detectives believe the body may have been in the canal for several weeks to a month or more before it was discovered.
    Unfortunately, all investigators have to compare records with today are the woman's teeth.

"In '86, they didn't do DNA back then like they do now. She was cremated, so we do not have remains to make any other comparisons," Gordon said.

Investigators also have not been able to find any usable traces of DNA on the woman's clothing that can be tested.
    Gordon said there were no missing people from Utah in 1986 that match the woman's description. She has even checked the records of missing people in Canada and other areas of known polygamist communities.

Anyone with information on the woman is asked to call Gordon at 801-799-3454.
    This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son! "I will always be his father. On this earth I don't see him, but in heaven we'll be together," Metalwala said.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-6-Nov-2011-19

Here are the items they have shown pictures of to help identify the woman:

Dress.jpgDress3.jpgItem.jpgRing.jpgWatch 1.jpg
    This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son! "I will always be his father. On this earth I don't see him, but in heaven we'll be together," Metalwala said.

http://kutv.com/news/local/police-as...sewage-in-1986

Salt Lake detectives mentioned the specificity of the unique items found near the woman's body back in 1986. These items were available for media outlets to see:

Purple striped bracelet that clips to a pen
    Sterling silver size 7 1/2 ring with one large stone (possibly hematite) and two cubic zirconium stones on the sides, stamped with C&G and "Sterling" on the inside.
    Handmade blue polka dot dress with lace on the cuffs and collar, also attached was a cardboard tag inside with the #10 written on it.
    "The dress is extremely unique - handmade - and it's still in great condition," Gordman said. "This dress was very common to the northern Utah polygamist community."

Detectives said the woman's body was so badly decomposed, she no longer had hair or many of her fingers. They attribute that to the nearly four weeks she remained in the bacteria-infested water.

"We know she was not stabbed or shot because there were not gunshot or stab markings in her bones," Gordman said.

If you have any information surrounding this cold case call (801) 799-3000.

Anonymous tips may be sent via text. Just text the keyword TIPSLCPD plus any relevant information to 274637.

her husband did it

This is so incredibly sad. This is all that remains of a human being and no name, yet I know there are many like this.

The ring and watch looks like it belonged to a man, IMO.

MOO
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLaw2000 View Post
    The ring and watch looks like it belonged to a man, IMO.

MOO
    The ring does look like it could be a man's style but it was only a size 7 1/2 and men's rings almost never come in smaller than size 9. I suppose it could have been resized by a jeweler but I would expect that to be mentioned in the description.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Ruleouts from NamUs:

Nancy Baird 1952 Utah
    Debra Frost 1967 Utah
    Theresa Geaves 1959 Utah
    Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
    Sandra Matott 1942 Utah
    Linda Peterson 1949 Utah
    Marlene Puchuskie 1952 Utah
    Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
    Sally Stone 1964 Idaho
    Sheree Warren 1960 Utah
    Joyce Yost 1946 Utah

Could any of the women who managed to leave these communities tell anything about the dress from the construction? Or the #10 tag?

Sad, sad story.

The #10 tag reminds me of the tags my dry cleaners put on my clothes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

C & G is a well-known Phoenix-area maker of custom jewelry.

https://m.facebook.com/cgjewelers/

Might be worth checking with them about the ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by carbuff; 09-02-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

The dress could be measured & compared to size charts. Looks like her weight was proportional to her height.

I just noticed the jeans -- make & size, please?

My drycleaner's tags are paper & have multi-digit numbers pre-printed. The description reads "#10 written on it."

Now I've never stayed in Utah long enough for any dry cleaning....

is it possible her dress was for a job? There's a theme park in Branson Mo called silver dollar city. The people who work there wear similar clothing, but if she worked in a themed place it would had probably already been recommended.

FLDS women's dress: https://goo.gl/images/nHJDrK

Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by CountEveryMoment View Post
    is it possible her dress was for a job? There's a theme park in Branson Mo called silver dollar city. The people who work there wear similar clothing, but if she worked in a themed place it would had probably already been recommended.
    There's a park in SLC that has the workers dress in period clothing. I wonder if LE asked around there. The park is called This is the place. It's significant to the early LDS church as it is where Brigham Young stood and declared the Saints to be home after the trek across the plains.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast