NC NC - Rhonda Hinson, 19, Burke Co, 22 Dec 1981

TedMac

Reaction score
Mods: I couldn't find a thread on this case. If one does exist, please delete this.

34 years ago today

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/2...4-year-old-cold-case-murder.html?intcmp=hpbt1

"On the night of Tuesday, Dec. 22, 1981, Bobby and Judy Hinson of Valdese, N.C., kissed their 19-year-old daughter Rhonda goodbye as she left home to attend an office holiday party at a nearby American Legion Hall. Hours later, her body was discovered in a ditch less than a mile from her parents' home, and alongside her car.

Investigators found Rhonda had been shot with a high-powered bullet that tore through the rear of her beige Datsun 210, striking her in the back. Who murdered Rhonda — and why — remains a mystery, though 34 years later to the day that they last saw their daughter alive, Rhonda's parents and local law enforcement officials still cling to faint hope that her killer can be brought to justice."

A friend and fellow websleuther just sent me this. Very interesting case. What are your thoughts?

34 years ago today

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/2...4-year-old-cold-case-murder.html?intcmp=hpbt1

"On the night of Tuesday, Dec. 22, 1981, Bobby and Judy Hinson of Valdese, N.C., kissed their 19-year-old daughter Rhonda goodbye as she left home to attend an office holiday party at a nearby American Legion Hall. Hours later, her body was discovered in a ditch less than a mile from her parents' home, and alongside her car.

Investigators found Rhonda had been shot with a high-powered bullet that tore through the rear of her beige Datsun 210, striking her in the back. Who murdered Rhonda — and why — remains a mystery, though 34 years later to the day that they last saw their daughter alive, Rhonda's parents and local law enforcement officials still cling to faint hope that her killer can be brought to justice."[/QUOTE]

It could have been an accident but I would think that would be much more likely if the shot was through the side door. Coming from behind, it looks like someone could have been following her in another vehicle. It was also in the middle of the night. The case is sort of a modern version of "The Green Bicycle Mystery".

Are they sure that this isn't a hunting accident?

Possibly. Very few killers use high-powered rifles. However, most hunters aren't hunting between 12 midnight and 1:00 am when Hinson was killed. This case has similarities to the David Metzler/Heidi Childs murder in VA in 2009. They also were shot with a high-powered rifle and the killings were seemingly motiveless-just like this one. Metzler was also shot while in his vehicle while Childs, like Hinson was shot in the back.

Possibly. Very few killers use high-powered rifles. However, most hunters aren't hunting between 12 midnight and 1:00 am when Hinson was killed. This case has similarities to the David Metzler/Heidi Childs murder in VA in 2009. They also were shot with a high-powered rifle and the killings were seemingly motiveless-just like this one. Metzler was also shot while in his vehicle while Childs, like Hinson was shot in the back.

Shhhhh! Yes they are. ;) It's called poaching. I've reported a couple of them.

The linked article states she was found in a ditch outside her car and that, due to her injuries, she wouldn't have been able to exit the car on her own.

So, whoever shot her also stopped and pulled her out of the car and into the ditch. It also states her boyfriend was angry at her for going to the party. Wonder why? Was he the jealous, suspicious type?

I hope this can be solved.

Someone has taken the time to digitize a large amount of information about this case on a tumblr account:

The Record & Thursday Printing

c5723adb2dcbe7a2882b4a6620a9b10c0a300a89.jpg

It's a series of 49 articles.

I am Rhonda Hinson's cousin. Let me answer your questions/speculations. It was not a hunting accident. It was intentional. Her boyfriend, Greg McDowell, was extremely jealous and had a temper. Follow the series just being released and hopefully will lead to an arrest. Miss my Rhonda.
The murder of Rhonda Hinson

The Killing of Rhonda Hinson: Part II

DO you know if he owned a type of weapon that was used to kill her? I read where he mentioned a shotgun in one of his letters. Did LE ever execute a search warrant at his house? Lastly, is he still living and if so, is he still in the area?

K7OIX26E3BABJJETBDIQDRYDK4.png

December 22, 2021 rbbm.
Detectives investigate new info 40 years after Burke County unsolved murder

''BURKE COUNTY, N.C. — Detectives are investigating a new line of information in a Burke County cold case, Sheriff Steve E. Whisenant said Tuesday in a news release.

It has been 40 years since the unsolved murder of 19-year-old Rhonda Hinson, who was shot and killed on her way home from a Christmas party on Dec. 23, 1981.''

''More data has become available in recent months regarding the case, the sheriff said.''

Details about what new data has become available were not released.''

Rhonda Hinson -40 Years Gone (The Wilkes Record)

...It is now 1:00 AM, December 23, 2021, as I write. An hour and 40-years ago, Rhonda Hinson walked down the stairs of the Pittman residence to phone her boyfriend, Greg McDowell—she knew that he would be awaiting a call subsequent to her attending the Hickory Steel Christmas party. He was angry, and Rhonda said as much to Birdell Pittman who queried her when she exited the bathroom where she ostensibly had been crying over the contentious midnight telephone conversation. “Good God yes, he’s mad!”...

Hinson Killing: Interview With Rev. McDowell, New Leads (The Wilkes Record)

Armed with the revelation of ‘new data’ emerging in this 40-year-old murder case, this writer—on Wednesday December 29, 2021—phoned the residence of the Rev. Dr. Charles McDowell in Valdosta, Georgia, asking if he would be willing to talk with me relative to the “new line of information” referenced in Sheriff Whisenant’s press release.
It should be noted that in the four decades since Rhonda’s murder, Charles McDowell has never granted an interview to any journalist. However, a little over two-hours later, Rev. McDowell returned my phone call, indicating—in a voice message—that he was receptive to speaking with me via phone

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back