Georgia deputies fatally shoot CNN security guard as he tried to help distressed son

Montjoy

Inactive
Reaction score
Here we go again...

"Douglas County sheriff’s deputies got the call around 8:20 p.m. Monday. The security guard for a mobile home park in Douglasville, Ga., said he had just been held at gunpoint for 45 minutes as he made his evening rounds.

That was around the same time that Bobby Daniels, 48, got the frantic calls from loved ones — his 25-year-old son Bias was having an emotional breakdown, he had a gun and had just been holding a hostage.

Bobby Daniels beat the deputies there, and according to family members talked his despondent son into putting the weapon down on the hood of a car. Moments later, the father of five was shot twice — not by his son, but by a Douglas County sheriff’s deputy."

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...d-to-help-distressed-son/stories/201512240211

^^^ A statement released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigations offers a third version of events — stating that the father and son struggled over the gun, and that it was then that officers attempted to use a stun gun on the younger man.

“As the fight continued between Bias and Bobby, the handgun was pointed at the deputies, at which point one of the deputy fired, striking and killing Bobby,” the GBI said in the statement.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

Here we go again...

"Douglas County sheriff’s deputies got the call around 8:20 p.m. Monday. The security guard for a mobile home park in Douglasville, Ga., said he had just been held at gunpoint for 45 minutes as he made his evening rounds.

That was around the same time that Bobby Daniels, 48, got the frantic calls from loved ones — his 25-year-old son Bias was having an emotional breakdown, he had a gun and had just been holding a hostage.

Bobby Daniels beat the deputies there, and according to family members talked his despondent son into putting the weapon down on the hood of a car. Moments later, the father of five was shot twice — not by his son, but by a Douglas County sheriff’s deputy."

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...d-to-help-distressed-son/stories/201512240211

Every. Freaking. Day.

This has to stop - it's beyond unacceptable. People have to join together and make it stop. It's already late - but it will never be too late. Jmo.

This has to stop - it's beyond unacceptable. People have to join together and make it stop. It's already late - but it will never be too late. Jmo.

Any suggestions? Because so far nothing seems to be working.

From the link:

The news came as the mother of a 32-year-old mentally ill man said he was fatally shot by a sheriff’s deputy after he resisted efforts to be taken into protective custody, and police said a man shot last month by an off-duty officer at Washington, D.C.’s Union Station has died.

And in Toronto a man armed with a machete and a knife was brought down by an unarmed security guard. (No, I'm not bragging - police shootings happen here too - I'm just providing a recent example to show it can be done.)

Exactly bluesneakers - pick your moment and then act. Guns blazing first, assessing second is not what a democratic society needs - imho. What's with the rush anyway?

An on-line petition? It would be interesting to see how many sign up between the US and Canada. The US has a population of about 320 + mil and Canada has about 35.7 + mil.

If your mentally ill adult son is holding you hostage, at gunpoint, then it might not end well. Obviously this is not how the officers wanted it to end but bad things can happen when someone holds their family hostage. It is tragic and my heart goes out to the family this Holiday season.

If your mentally ill adult son is holding you hostage, at gunpoint, then it might not end well. Obviously this is not how the officers wanted it to end but bad things can happen when someone holds their family hostage. It is tragic and my heart goes out to the family this Holiday season.

What should the father have done, stepped back so the cops would have a clearer shot at his son? If only one person was going to get out alive I would make the same sacrifice and once the cops showed up it was only a matter of time before they shot someone.

JMO

It might not end well if the hostage taker were to shoot you but as the hostage I don't think you would expect to be shot by LE.

IMO

Exactly bluesneakers - pick your moment and then act. Guns blazing first, assessing second is not what a democratic society needs - imho. What's with the rush anyway?

An on-line petition? It would be interesting to see how many sign up between the US and Canada. The US has a population of about 320 + mil and Canada has about 35.7 + mil.

Woodland, the officer in Canada who brought down the suspect was not armed. Canada certainly has instances where police shoot innocent people, but there isn't the same laisse faire attitude about it here that there is in the US.

In Canada, shooting by police are investigated by the Special Investigations Unit, a highly professional and independent civilian agency that determines if criminal activity took place, and if so, they have the mandate to lay criminal charges.

From what I see of US police shootings, there rarely is any community confidence that justice will be served.

http://www.siu.on.ca/en/index.php

I agree. If the father wants to police his own troubled son, he should have been checking for weapons on the son daily. Making sure he took any meds and basically take him under his wing. Showing up before police, with an armed man who took a hostage without calling 911 to update the situation was a poor judgment at best.

1,115 people killed by US police so far this year. 213 of them were unarmed, and no sign of anything changing. I expect that it will be 1,200 or 1,300 next year.

The Counted People killed by police in the US
Shooting 213 unarmed people is not acceptable. But when you think of the tens of thousands of interactions cops have with people every year that most of us want nothing to do with, it is an exceedingly small number. And some people can kill with their bare hands.

Woodland, the officer in Canada who brought down the suspect was not armed. Canada certainly has instances where police shoot innocent people, but there isn't the same laisse faire attitude about it here that there is in the US.

In Canada, shooting by police are investigated by the Special Investigations Unit, a highly professional and independent civilian agency that determines if criminal activity took place, and if so, they have the mandate to lay criminal charges.

From what I see of US police shootings, there rarely is any community confidence that justice will be served.

http://www.siu.on.ca/en/index.php

Thanks, but I did realize that the unarmed security guard in Toronto was unarmed vs a Sammy Yatim scenario.

Have read a number of times that Canada's SIU rarely finds fault with LE conduct, like this case for example -

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2015/0...on-used-excessive-force-against-orillia-woman

and should be disbanded due to a waste of money among other obvious reasons. Fwiw, I don't think Canada is well served with LE oversight under the SIU. Looks like a buddy system to me.

Shooting 213 unarmed people is not acceptable. But when you think of the tens of thousands of interactions cops have with people every year that most of us want nothing to do with, it is an exceedingly small number. And some people can kill with their bare hands.

they did not shoot 213 unarmed people, not even half that many.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back