NV - Off-duty police officer accidentally shoots relative in North Las Vegas

One of their mothers!!!

Lucky she's alive after 27 shots.

Jeebus Creezy!

27 rounds?

And I don't own a gun because I am afraid I wouldn't react in a manner that would ensure my own safety or that of my family. I feel safer NOT having access to. A gun because I appreciate my own abilities or lack thereof.

But you'd think a LEO would not react like a skittish old lady.

Have to ask - should the mother have had a gun to defend herself?

Have to ask - should the mother have had a gun to defend herself?

Wouldn't have mattered if she did, would she have expected to need one in a family member's home?

Wouldn't have mattered if she did, would she have expected to need one in a family member's home?

There was once gunplay in my home. Fortunately it was a big house and one shot was enough to frighten both players. If Older Brother had been a better shot and Younger Brother hadn't had a gun I think it would have ended differently.

Posts have been removed. Some members may wish to review TOS:

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. WS is based in the United States, but is not an agency of the Federal or any State government - so the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar State amendments regarding your right to free speech DO NOT APPLY HERE.

Anything that goes against our core beliefs and the purpose for which this community was designed may not be allowed.

Posts and comments intended to incite conflict between members or outside parties are strictly prohibited.

WS Administration has the absolute right to edit, modify, and delete any content found posted on this website.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

"While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. WS is based in the United States, but is not an agency of the Federal or any State government - so the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar State amendments regarding your right to free speech DO NOT APPLY HERE."

I've noticed that, but I didn't know it was in the rules. Thanks, I think. I believe you should post this on every thread, or at least more prominently, some may not know.

"While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. WS is based in the United States, but is not an agency of the Federal or any State government - so the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar State amendments regarding your right to free speech DO NOT APPLY HERE."

I've noticed that, but I didn't know it was in the rules. Thanks, I think. I believe you should post this on every thread, or at least more prominently, some may not know.

It is clearly stated when we agree to become members.

Hopefully next time they'll just call the police, and wait outside.

Article in OP & below = Dec 26. Quick search, no updates. Anyone?
http://www.ktnv.com/news/off-duty-police-officer-accidentally-shoots-relative-in-north-las-vegas

Hopefully next time they'll just call the police, and wait outside.

I'm confused, tried to make sense. Who was where?
Were female LEO & spouse outside, & on entering house, thought person already in home (turned out to be 'relative') was intruder?
Or
Were female LEO & spouse inside house, heard noise, thought person (turned out to be 'relative') coming into house was intruder?
Anyone?

27 shots? How is this woman still alive - they must have been bad shots, or good, depending which way you look at it.... 27 seems excessive, no?

No charges filed? It was "an accident"? Really? Sorry but I think 27 shots being fired in any situation needs to be investigated...

So far it looks like it's being treated as an accident. Serious accident regardless.

To put this event into some kind of perspective.......

Last figures I remember seeing on firearm accidents US wide(fatal and non) was 1999/year or about 38 per week.

Last figures I saw on children being backed over with a motor vehicle US wide was 2600/year or about 50 per week. 48/wk injured and hospital treated and 2/wk killed. 70% backed over by parents or a close relative.

The gun data was a claim from a gun control group in Utah I think
The children data was from Kids and Cars.org if I remember correctly.

So far it looks like it's being treated as an accident. Serious accident regardless.

Last figures I remember seeing on firearm accidents US wide(fatal and non) was 1999/year or about 38 per week.

Last figures I saw on children being backed over with a motor vehicle US wide was 2600/year or about 50 per week. 48/wk injured and hospital treated and 2/wk killed. 70% backed over by parents or a close relative.

Relevance?

How old was the child in this case?

12 to 23 months if I remember correctly.

No, this was an adult. I was trying to point out children accidentally being backed over by cars can't be compared to someone accidentally shooting an adult relative she thought was an intruder. People accidentally run over kids (I hope the majority are accidents) but the gun didn't accidentally go off.

JMO

It helps look at an event with true perspective.

Perspective is subjective for each individual imo - especially when using some sort of comparison - then the subject becomes very subjective.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back