Ian Murdock of Debian Linux has allegedly committed suicide.

Ray_of_hope

Verified registered nurse
Reaction score
http://thehackernews.com/2015/12/debian-ian-murdock-died.html
Ian had a confrontation and had been arrested by police prior to the 'suicide'. I'm not familiar with him but I don't see a history of past erratic behavior. (He was 42 years old).He posted on twitter that he was going to commit suicide and didn't want to be stopped. He had many stories to tell. Many speculated that hackers had gotten a hold of his account. His twitter account has been deleted. Sad...

From Docker:

In Memoriam: Ian Murdock

It is with great sadness that we inform you that Ian Murdock passed away on Monday night. This is a tragic loss for his family, for the Docker community, and the broader open source world; we all mourn his passing. To Ian’s children, family and loved ones, we offer our full support and deepest sympathies.

Ian’s family has requested that well-wishers and press respect their privacy and direct all inquiries through Docker.

06a32fc.jpg

http://i1.wp.com/blog.docker.com/media/2015/12/06a32fc.jpg?resize=250,250

boingboing is well known and respected, but probably not MSM, so take this as rumour/opinion.

I've heard a lot of gossip about what Murdock did immediately before his death, but don't have any confirmation, so I'll confine myself to saying that Murdock had been arrested, possibly more than once, and had been injured by the police during those encounters
https://boingboing.net/2015/12/31/ian-debian-murdock-dies-af.html

From the Ars Technica link:
Public records indicate Murdock was arrested on December 27 and released on bail by the San Francisco County Sheriff's Department, but no details were available on the charges.

The published accounts of this man's behaviors when police responded to a report of him screaming, yelling, and pounding on a neighbor's door at 11:30PM indicate he was either very drunk, very high, or very mentally disturbed. When police responded again later to the same address for the same thing at 2:30AM they arrested him and jailed him.

He was seen and treated on scene by paramedics after the 11:30 incident after he had bashed his own head against the metal divider barrier while in the back seat of a police cruiser. He was seen again by EMTs after the 2:30AM incident when he had fought with police as they were arresting him. In addition, he was examined medically upon admission to the jail.

He was released on $25,000 bond on Sunday afternoon and committed suicide on Monday after posting an increasingly bizarre series of Twitters in which he accused police of beating him and sexually assaulting him - including a female officer removing his underwear. (To prevent suicide while he was held in a drunk tank? Who knows?)

The toxicology screen should be of interest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back