China Imposes New Rules on News Web Sites

tybee204

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Link

By AUDRA ANG, Associated Press Writer
Sun Sep 25, 7:11 AM ET

BEIJING - China is imposing new regulations to control content on its news Web sites, the government said Sunday, another step in its ongoing effort to police a rapidly expanding Internet population.
The rules, issued by the Ministry of Information Industry and the State Council, China's cabinet, will "standardize the management of news and information" in the country, the official Xinhua News Agency said. They take effect immediately, it said.

Only "healthy and civilized news and information that is beneficial to the improvement of the quality of the nation, beneficial to its economic development and conducive to social progress" will be allowed, Xinhua said.

It added: "The sites are prohibited from spreading news and information that goes against state security and public interest."

More at link

Ha Ha! Syria tried to impose restrictions on web access. However, whatever they did to prevent access to undesirable websites was easily bypassed by programs developed just for this purpose. When I would use the internet cafes in Aleppo and had trouble getting into anything (or sending files which also was restricted), the manager would just make a few adjustments and -- voila! -- no problems!

Well I don't read Chinese - so I don't think I can check up on this :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back